New 15litre Tank

Aveena

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey, i have bought one of those 15litre tanks today from Aldi, and dont have enough money to get a heater so i cant get a betta. (as i was going to)
Anyway, i have heard that Minnows can go in cold or tropical tanks. And i also like the look of Bubble eye goldfish.
Anyway, i was wondering, are there any other fish that can go in tropical or cold water?
And if i was to get bubble eye goldfish how many would i be able to get into a 15 litre tank or is that too small.
i have to wait for the tank to cycle but i would like some ideas for what i can put in my tank.

All commets welcome.

hey, i have bought one of those 15litre tanks today from Aldi, and dont have enough money to get a heater so i cant get a betta. (as i was going to)
Anyway, i have heard that Minnows can go in cold or tropical tanks. And i also like the look of Bubble eye goldfish.
Anyway, i was wondering, are there any other fish that can go in tropical or cold water?
And if i was to get bubble eye goldfish how many would i be able to get into a 15 litre tank or is that too small.
i have to wait for the tank to cycle but i would like some ideas for what i can put in my tank.

All commets welcome.

i don't think any goldfish can go in a tank that small......people are always misfed information on goldies, they actually need very large tanks, as they grow very large themselves and are massive waste producers.
I'd stick with white cloud mountain minnows

ok thanks, i think the minnows are cute anyway. i just thought i might check on what fish i could put in it. thanks for the help.
are there different types of minnows or is it only the cloud mountain ones that can go in coldwater?

fraid so, you can also get things like weather loaches (but they get to 12" so wouldnt be suitable) and hillstream loaches (these are verrryy picky about water conditions and like a lot of flow and aeration.)

To be honest, the tank is too small for White Cloud Mountain Minnows as they like plenty of swimming space. They also like a good flow so you need to make sure the filter is up to the job.
You are probably best waiting until you get a heater and buy a Betta instead, although 15 litres is still a little small for a Betta. :/

so, dont get the minnows? and if 15l is too small for goldfish, and is a bit too small for betta's then why do people bother making tanks that are too small too hold fish?
also is there any fish that will go in my 15litre tank and wont be bothered by it?

so, dont get the minnows? and if 15l is too small for goldfish, and is a bit too small for betta's then why do people bother making tanks that are too small too hold fish?
also is there any fish that will go in my 15litre tank and wont be bothered by it?

i wouldn't have said it's a bit too small for a betta it's 4 gallons, it's when people keep bettas in 2 gallon containers that i'd say it's too small, i'd say it's perfect as a small betta space for one soul betta, I have a 13 litre tank that I use as a quaratine tank at the moment but will probably turn into a betta home in a few months time.
Saying that I also have a betta who lives in a 55 litre community tank....pah.....I'd get a heater when you can, get a betta!!!

Unfortunately, not all companies are concerned with what size tank they make. If they are small and inexpensive, they know people will buy them.
Many people keep Bettas in small tanks with no problems but I personally feel that 5 gallons plus is a lot more suitable as it gives them plenty of swimming space.
You could plant it and keep some shrimp in there. Sounds boring but they've actually got a lot of character.

Please don't put a goldfish in that tank size you would be just watching it die a slow death.
Goldfish grow big and are massive waste producers they need 20 gallons alone for the first goldfish then 10 gallons for every other goldfish added to the tank., so a 20 gallon for one goldifsh, and a 40 gallon filter.
I agree that tank size a betta or strimps.

i'd say it was perfect for a male betta, or some shrimp :good:

14l is about 3.5g, isn't it? I think that's perfectly fine for a betta.

You can also try Heterandria formosa, or some inverts like shrimp and snails.

Most reactions

Back