New 100L Tank - What Fish?

bglennon

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently own a 25 litre tank with guppies and snails living happily. I want to upgrade to a tank that is at least 100 litres (26 US gallons). I haven't bought a tank yet because I don't want to buy a tank and fill it with fish that fit, I want to buy a tank that fits the fish I want. None of the fish in the 25 litre tank will move to the bigger tank

Size limitations mean I'm probably looking in the region of 100-125 litre tank (26-33 US gallons). 

I don't want a species specific tank as I would like some variety in the tank. In an ideal world I would keep all of the following fish:

- Angelfish
 - Pearl Gourami
 - Hatchetfish
 - Glass fish
 - Cat fish / pleco / otto of some sort (possibly upside down catfish)
 - Honey gourami
 - Shrimp
 - Danios / tetras 

I know however that, that is far too many fish for a tank of that size and that not all of them mix well.

I would also like a reasonable number of plants in the tank.

Basically my question is which of those fish above (or similar fish) would be best to keep in a tank of this size and how many would I need if they like to live in groups?

Any help is much appreciated!

You are going to need a bigger tank than 26 US Gallons for many of the fish on your list.    I'd add that you need to be very careful with some of the fish that you are suggesting keeping together as well.

For example, angelfish and tetras are a challenging mix.  You need to keep tetras big enough that they can't be angelfish food, but at the same time the tetras can't be so nippy that they harass the angel.

A 26 gallon would work for the tetras, honey gourami, and cories.  It wouldn't work for many different plecos, but would be just the right size for a BN pleco.  

A 26 gallon is too small for angelfish or pearl gourami.

Honey gourami's , tetras, danios and shrimp would be a fine mix for that tank, same with some ottos.

By the time you've established shoals of the correct size you'll be fully stocked as the tetra, danios and ottos should be kept with around half a dozen of each.

I have marbled hatchetfish in my 70 litre along with shrimp Pygmy cory and betta.all get along great.

I added my angel pair to a 110 litre to see if they would breed. They were in there alone and I can say it was fine as a breeding set up short term but I couldn't have kept them in there long term there just wasn't the room for them to move around comfortably.

If you like SA cichlids look to the dwarf kinds of which there are many. They would be fine in a tank that size and you could have the neons too. The oto's would work aswell and maybe consider some of the smaller cory species rather than a plec. They're fun and friendly little fish and will be fine with tetra's and dwarf cichlids

Thanks guys,

Some really good advice. I think I will look towards the dwarf gourami's or the honey gouramis.

One fish I am really keen on are the Indian Glass Fish. I think they are some of the most interesting tropical fish I've seen. Do you guys know much about them? I've read that they are pretty peaceful fish and they called live with Honey Gourami's. Can they also live with Dwarf Gourami's?

Also, could I then mix the two (glass fish and honey / dwarf gouramis) with small corys? 

Common names can be confusing, but if by Indian Glass Fish you are thinking of Parambassis ranga, this fish is a shoaling fish that is somewhat shy and quiet.  It attains 3 inches so a group of six or seven would be it for your 26g.  Some peaceful substrate-dwellers like corys should presumably work though.  I would not combine these with gourami.

Here's some data on the fish that notes its specific requirements:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/parambassis-ranga/

Just a quick comment on the gourami...the Honey is a better choice that the Dwarf, and also more "compatible" with certain other fish but these have to be carefully selected, keeping in mind JD's comments previously about nippers.

Byron.

I would not suggest keeping Tiger Barbs with Gourami as one is a very active and a fish that can be nippy, the other is very sedate and will just allow itself to be bullied.

In fact there are only a a few fish species that go well with Tiger barbs, these are a very aggressive specie to say the least.

I plan to keep a Tiger Barb only tank as these are lovely active fish to keep, just not in a community tank imho.

Ch4rlie said:
In fact there are only a a few fish species that go well with Tiger barbs, these are a very aggressive specie to say the least.

I plan to keep a Tiger Barb only tank as these are lovely active fish to keep, just not in a community tank imho.

Tigers do well with other barbs as well... Rosy barbs, torpedo barbs, etc.  (But these are best in much larger tanks, as are the tigers.)

Tiger barbs and cories are a HORRIFIC mix.  Someone did that a while ago (years) on this board and reported the outcome.  The tigers attacked the cories and ate their eyes.  Tigers should not be kept with placid species.  They need to be kept with fast swimming, semi-aggressive fish.  

They are a lovely species and kept properly are a great display, as their aggression within a shoal demonstrates itself as highly active fish.  But, care should be taken to keep them properly, in a large shoal to spread aggression within the group and with appropriate species that can fend for themselves with the tigers.

A much safer option (with a similar appearance) would be five-banded barbs.  These are docile, almost to the point of being reclusive, but are much harder to find.

Oswegofish said:
Dwarf frogs to they would go nice with your tank

I would also warn against keeping dwarf frogs and fish in the same tank.  The frogs are very slow to get to their food, and are rather timid little things.  The fish would be all over any food in the tank before the frogs ever even knew there was food available.  IMO, dwarf frogs are best in species only tanks.

I'll also suggest that anyone planning to keep frogs be very careful to determine if you have African Dwarf frogs or African Clawed frogs.  Either variety is unsuitable for being kept with fish - just as the dwarf frogs are too timid, the claw frogs are way too aggressive to be kept with small fish, but too small and tasty (at least to the fish) to be kept with large aggressive fish.

Not ture my dwarf dose great and gets food and I have other fish with him

Most reactions

Back