neon tetra.

Thanks for that.
I have done already, finished just before I came back here. I know ammonia is bad for them but it should be reducing as the tank cycles. As for stock, I was told it was OK by the pet store??
Pet stores dont generally know or care about the fish :) most of us have learned that the hard way

Thanks for that.
I have done already, finished just before I came back here. I know ammonia is bad for them but it should be reducing as the tank cycles. As for stock, I was told it was OK by the pet store??

Pet stores make money whether your fish live or die. In fact, you could make an argument that it's better for business if your fish don't make it. Some do a better job than others, especially smaller locally-run stores.

I have to agree with others when it comes to pet stores and their lack of knowledge. One thing you can do to improve the life of your neon tetra and improve the quality of your tank's water is add some fast growing floating plants like anacharis, water sprite, moneywort and hornwort. These types of plants absorb ammonia at a much faster rate and will provide some shade for your neon tetra. By adding these types of plants you can do what is called a planted or silent cycle. I do it with my tanks and so far it has worked out very well.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my 55 gallon tetra tank, I have neon, glow light, ember and red eye tetra along with cory. The long dark green plants is anacharis which I plant and also let float to shade my tetra. When I cycled this tank I never had an ammonia reading above 0 and still don't . The same is true for my other tanks.

Attachments

• GEDC1296.JPG
    GEDC1296.JPG
    882.8 KB · Views: 75
I have to agree with others when it comes to pet stores and their lack of knowledge. One thing you can do to improve the life of your neon tetra and improve the quality of your tank's water is add some fast growing floating plants like anacharis, water sprite, moneywort and hornwort. These types of plants absorb ammonia at a much faster rate and will provide some shade for your neon tetra. By adding these types of plants you can do what is called a planted or silent cycle. I do it with my tanks and so far it has worked out very well.
I wish I ha this knowledge when I first set up my tank. So many things to learn. I'll get some of those floating plants and a breeder box to keep an eye on him try and see if he will eat. I might try turn the bulb so there won't be so much direct light.
Thanks @Retired Viking

Here is a picture of my 55 gallon tetra tank, I have neon, glow light, ember and red eye tetra along with cory. The long dark green plants is anacharis which I plant and also let float to shade my tetra. When I cycled this tank I never had an ammonia reading above 0 and still don't . The same is true for my other tanks.
That looks amazing.
Would you say its the best floating plant?

You have a good start on your tank, :good: my tetra tank does not have a dimmer switch either. It is an old tank I bought back in 1994. I installed t-8 plant lights which lowered the light brightness some and the plants do the rest.

That looks amazing.
Would you say its the best floating plant?
Yes ,I like it very much but there are others like frog bite that look great too. I just can not order frog bite since my state does not allow it's import. I also like water sprite which I have in my shrimp thank. Ordered more for my other tanks but due to C-19 the supplier can not get it for awhile.

Pet stores make money whether your fish live or die. In fact, you could make an argument that it's better for business if your fish don't make it. Some do a better job than others, especially smaller locally-run stores.
@Retireis that the tank you had in last months competition? Its well kept. How many tanks do you have? I'm not sure I could handle anymore than 1 right now. Maybe after I get some knowledge off everyone here ha ha :- D

@Retireis that the tank you had in last months competition? Its well kept. How many tanks do you have? I'm not sure I could handle anymore than 1 right now. Maybe after I get some knowledge off everyone here ha ha :- D
Yes, it is, Thank you. I have 3 more tanks besides this one. A 20 gallon long for my 2 RES turtles, a 30 gallon tall for my shrimp and extra plants and a 30 gallon tall that I am finshing up cycling that I call my LOTR tank. It currently has some fancy guppies and I think it will be a hard water fish tank.

Yes, it is, Thank you. I have 3 more tanks besides this one. A 20 gallon long for my 2 RES turtles, a 30 gallon tall for my shrimp and extra plants and a 30 gallon tall that I am finshing up cycling that I call my LOTR tank. It currently has some fancy guppies and I think it will be a hard water fish tank.
Plenty of experience then ha ha.
Tetra is isolated right now. He still won't eat in the box tho.I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if he is sick or if he will make the other tetras sick. How long should I keep him isolated. I don't really want to stress him out anymore. :-(

Am I right in thinking the entire group is new and were all bought at the same time.

If so you may as well put him back in the tank. Being moved from the store to your tank is incredibly stressful for fish. Before that he was moved to the store, either from the peaceful river where he was minding his own business a few months ago or from a fish farm. Another very stressful experience. Then he went through an uncycled tank. So if he is weak he has everything going against him. But if you did buy them all together any disease he has the other fish will have too. And since they seem unaffected it is most likely just the accumulation of stress he has been through.

I suspect at this stage he will either live or die, and nothing you can do will change that outcome. Being in a tank with more of his own species is likely to be less stressful than being kept in isolation.

Am I right in thinking the entire group is new and were all bought at the same time.

If so you may as well put him back in the tank. Being moved from the store to your tank is incredibly stressful for fish. Before that he was moved to the store, either from the peaceful river where he was minding his own business a few months ago or from a fish farm. Another very stressful experience. Then he went through an uncycled tank. So if he is weak he has everything going against him. But if you did buy them all together any disease he has the other fish will have too. And since they seem unaffected it is most likely just the accumulation of stress he has been through.

I suspect at this stage he will either live or die, and nothing you can do will change that outcome. Being in a tank with more of his own species is likely to be less stressful than being kept in isolation.
Wow,
Thanks @seangthat probably sound more like the issue. I've taken him out of isolation and have changed the water. I just hope he will pull through. The rest are doing great. He just looks really small and the weakest of the bunch.
Cheers
G

@seangee has a good point, I would try and make sure there are plenty of hiding places for him to go to if he is being picked on, Once you add more plants that well help. My ember tetras which are small compared to the other tetra like to hide out in the anacharis "forest" I made for them at one end of my sunken forest tank.

Attachments

• GEDC1265.JPG
    GEDC1265.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 78

Most reactions

Back