Need Someone To Check New Betta I Got Today

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They will grow bigger than 13cm.....i had a male that was 15.5cm

Holy crap that is huge!
ohmy.png
 At what size roughly do they stop eating Algae? that is when I was thinking about getting rid of them.
Also does anyone know a better fish that will eat Algae instead (Must be peaceful)? I heard shrimp eat it but I can't seem to find Shrimp in NZ for less than $80

They never really stop, they just slow down.

Otos would be your best bet,

Oh did not know that Thanks. 

And oh Otos look cool! I think I will get some of them to clean my tanks of Algae :D

Nice betta, he's an adult veiltail so won't grow anymore but his tail does look nipped, he may have done it to himself if he was kept in a small dirty jar in the store so just keep his water clean and it should grow back, sometimes though it becomes a habit that they just cannot stop a bit like us biting our nails 
confused.gif
bn's are small plecs as Kirky said max size around 5" so won't grow huge but not suited for a 16L.

Thanks and I have not seen it bite its tail yet since it has been in the new tank so hopefully it will grow back :) Yea I will be moving the bn to my other tank. 

Need to make you aware there are several variants also called bristlenose, the common Bristlenose(Ancistrus sp) will usually remain at about 4" long in adulthood and does well with bogwood in the tank as it eats wood as part of it's diet along with algae and any aquarium casualties, while Otto's also live within the Pleco family and they do eat algae even in large numbers they don't have any significant impact on reducing algae levels and don't touch green spot algae as it's too tough for them to eat
smile.png

I see thanks for all that info Kirky how many Otto's do I need together to keep them happy?
I have a big driftwood in my 110L tank with 2 coconut caves as well. 

There are about 17 known species of otto, They like to be in groups of 6 or more they are very social fish, when/if you get some there is a usual two week period of doubt as to how well they do usually depending on availability of soft algae, get to week two with them and they'll be fine and no doubt survive for a very long time afterwards.

Awesome thanks for that info will start looking for stores/people who sell them in NZ.

Most reactions

Back