Need Some Urgent Help Please...

mytropicals

Reaction score
Hi all

Bought 2 males guppys at the weekend

One of them is swimming in one spot in the bubbles from the tank filter outlet pipe and everytime another fish goes towards him he attacks it, the only one he allows with him is another male guppy (bought at the same time) who has a ragged tale.

we have

5 platies
4 phantom tetras
4 orange tale guppies (did have 5 but one died tonight - only 4 days old)
1 dark guppy (this is the aggressive one)
1 pale blue guppy (ragged tale)

tank has been set up 5 weeks

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
PH 7.6

not sure what to do about the aggressive guppy.....

Please can you help us

It could be that there is just too much testosterone (Do fish have testosterone?) in your tank. Often when you put all males in a tank, they become overly aggressive toward each other. They can't mate so they fight. LOL

So why do you think they are swimming & defending the water flow from the filter outlet?....they only attack when another fish tries to come into this area....they only move away from this area when its feeding time..

They've probably decided that they like this area, have claimed it as their own, and WILL defend it. I've known many guppies to appreciate a good water current or bubble curtain. Give them another day or two to settle in and hopefully things will calm down for you.

Can i just ask, I have got a Juwel Rio 180 & am using the filter that came with it....I have currently got the filter outlet nozzle facing upwards which is creating all these bubbles....however if I change the angle of the filter outlet it dosen't create these bubbles....which position should I have the filter outlet nozzle in?

Guppy.JPG

I have managed to take a photo showing position of filter nozzle outlet & the 2 male guppies

It really doesn't matter, as long as you are getting some surface movement you should be fine. You might try it and just see if it doesn't fix your guppy's 'bubble fixation' problem.

Aim it towards the glass so the guppy cant cant get in the current flow, and then see how reacts.

Aim it towards the glass so the guppy cant cant get in the current flow, and then see how reacts.

Once the lights went out last night, he immediately stopped doing it....I wonder whether the small bubbles look like food when the lights are on?

I will try moving the outlet towards the glass...thanks

Most reactions

Back