Need Some Manly Advice About Razor Blades!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

daizeUK

Fish Botherer
Reaction score
My tank scraper came with a razor blade that I find invaluable for scraping off limescale... it's now falling apart and I need to replace it.

Hubby told me to get replacement razor blades from the supermarket but I've looked and they're too small.  The blade I've got is 43mm x 22mm.

Any ideas where I can get hold of a replacement blade this size?

DIY department stores, try Wicks, B&Q they are usually in the decorating dept. Thats where I got mine when I lived in the UK. Hope this helps.

Yeah, it's probably a Stanley knife blade, rather than a razor blade.

Local hardware store? TLM's right, you're better off looking for the Stanley knife type blades. They'll certainly be easier to obtain than the old style razor blades.

As already stated, more than likely Stanley knife blades. If by chance it's not just buy a razor scraper that takes Stanley knife blades. Usually about 2 quid in B&Q. It will be cheaper than propriety blades.

Good idea, I might look for something like a small decorating stripper tool.  The one I've got is pretty flimsy, it was a cheap job from Pets at Home but the long handle is convenient.  I don't think Stanley blades will fit, it's shaped exactly like a razor blade only bigger. 

Perhaps a window razor scraper for removing paint from windows might be good.
(has a fixed razer on a handle, or the more expensive ones have removable blade for replacing)

i have one of these and is superb for scraping hard algae or snail eggs from tank glass.

found in most hardware stores in decorating section, i got mine from wickes :)

Something like that would be ideal... come to think of it, I only really scrape limescale at the top of the glass anyway so it doesn't matter how long the handle is!

I'd be looking for something like this:

71MWDydpNiS._SL1500_.jpg

I used one like this to remove painted wallpaper... works like a charm on that as well, you just have to be careful not to 'gauge' the wall:
a05af03a-79f2-41c6-85c7-2bfeaa262dd5_1000.jpg

This one is 4 inches wide, so it's more efficient.  But you need to buy the correct replacement blades, which are a bit pricier.

Most reactions

Back