Need Help!

bmacaveli

Reaction score
heres the situation...i noticed a while ago one of my cichlids that is bright yellow, started getting these blacks spots on the end of his tail. then his lips started to turn black. so the other day i treated for ick and other parasites with some stuff from pet smart, after i did a 30% change. then 2 days later, one of my spotted catfish was dead. now another day later, my other spotted catfish is dead. also i noticed my tetras top fins arent really standing up like they were...they kinda drooping down. also noticed the fish dont seam to be as lively. any suggestions?? im far from a fish expert. and have absolutely no idea what to do. i might start with another water change tonight after work. maybe like 50% or something. but please i need some help. i really dont want to lost all my fish!

are you keeping cichlids with tetras? That is a bad combination. Cichlids quite often change colour and can go totally different from juvenile to adult. They dont colour up in the shop tanks either. You might need some pimafix or melafix which do a range of diseases.

Easiest and quickes solution is the salt treatment and raise the temp. Salt can hurt the plants so you might want to quarantine all of your fish in non planted tank. Need pictures to be able to say how much. Generally start out with a little.

This curred my fish of clamped fins.

are you keeping cichlids with tetras? That is a bad combination. Cichlids quite often change colour and can go totally different from juvenile to adult. They dont colour up in the shop tanks either. You might need some pimafix or melafix which do a range of diseases.

yeah i have tetras and a couple sichlids in the same tank. i know that cichlids are alot more aggressive but tetras in a school of atleast 3 will usually do fine with more aggressive fish...or which i have read. and they seem to get along pretty good.

Easiest and quickes solution is the salt treatment and raise the temp. Salt can hurt the plants so you might want to quarantine all of your fish in non planted tank. Need pictures to be able to say how much. Generally start out with a little.

should i do the water change also when putting in some salt? i do have aquarium salt here and can do that as a treatment tonight. so far i have removed half my fish and i am now taking out some water to do some kind of partial change.

yeah i have tetras and a couple sichlids in the same tank. i know that cichlids are alot more aggressive but tetras in a school of atleast 3 will usually do fine with more aggressive fish...or which i have read. and they seem to get along pretty good.

should i do the water change also when putting in some salt? i do have aquarium salt here and can do that as a treatment tonight. so far i have removed half my fish and i am now taking out some water to do some kind of partial change.

Do the water change and then add some salt. I dose till it smells salty, for my snoot is very sensitive, thus I can't say how much you can add. Salt is not a cure all but seems to help fish that are slightly sick. Like treating a person with a cold. Also put the temp up 5 degrees. Have cured ich doing this.

Here is some info concerning Epsom salts"
Epsom salts contain magnesium sulfate, are best used for therapeutic reasons such as to aid in flushing the system as it aids in and speeds osmotic function , help to move fluids out of the body. Sulfates, one of the major components of Epsom Salt, have been shown effective in improving nutrient absorption and toxin elimination. Magnesium, the other major component of Epsom Salt, plays a role in the activity of more than 325 enzymes.That said you would only want to add about 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons (18 liters). Although useful for therapeutic reasons, magnesium and sulfates in particular are best introduced as part of a greater trace element balance in an aquarium. I ONLY recommend Epsom Salts for therapeutic aquarium treatment. Also note that Epsom salts (as well as sodium chloride; regular table salt) do NOT evaporate or decompose like antibiotics, so only add more after water changes

Probably could use 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons (18 liters) of the aquarium salt as recommended for the Epsom salt. I prefer the aquarium salt to epeson salt, The A salt know to help fish immune system.

if you are doing a salt bath, then add 1 teasoon per gallon. bottom dwellers can be sensitive though (as can tetras) so i wouldnt reccomend you do a dose at this level. ask a mod to move this to emergency section and wilder will be able to help you out, she knows all the in's & out's of fish medication!

Interpet Aqualibrium salt is the correct salt for doing this.

There are some Cichlids that can be kept with tetras, but I'd only attempt it with some of the folllowing:

Dwarf Cichlids (some of them)
Rams
Keyholes
Angels
Discus
Festivums (perhaps)

There are some Cichlids that can be kept with tetras, but I'd only attempt it with some of the folllowing:

Dwarf Cichlids (some of them)
Rams
Keyholes
Angels
Discus
Festivums (perhaps)

basically south & central american/ new world cichlids.

heres the situation...i noticed a while ago one of my cichlids that is bright yellow, started getting these blacks spots on the end of his tail. then his lips started to turn black. so the other day i treated for ick and other parasites with some stuff from pet smart, after i did a 30% change. then 2 days later, one of my spotted catfish was dead. now another day later, my other spotted catfish is dead. also i noticed my tetras top fins arent really standing up like they were...they kinda drooping down. also noticed the fish dont seam to be as lively. any suggestions?? im far from a fish expert. and have absolutely no idea what to do. i might start with another water change tonight after work. maybe like 50% or something. but please i need some help. i really dont want to lost all my fish!

Being ill I didn't read this thourouly the first time. The drooping fins may be fin rot, which is due to poor water quality. Had a ram that had a fin drop and then curled. That was when I wasn't doing water changes or use ferts. Started doing water changes weekly and he got more perky. The fin stayed the same.

Are you feeding your fish spirulina or spirulina based foods? By bright yellow cichlid, I'm guessing you probably have labidochromis caeruleus, when feed lots of spirulina, they can develop black spots. Cutting back on it (feeding spirulina) to once or twice a week usually makes the spots go away.

If you aren't feeding spirulina, just ignore my question. :good:

Most reactions

Back