Need help with computer before I stick an axe thru it

Colin..
Go to control panel. Look for back up and restore.
Since it's a new/old puter..
I suspect u have no data to save.
There shud be a factory reset.. which will blow out everything and give u a clean install starting fresh.
This shud solve all software problems.
If still have problems.. it's hardware..
Then laptop becomes door stop.
Good luck.

I had to have my hard drive changed on my windows 10 in December to avoid a new computer with windows 11. The link for a newer version of windows 10 might be a good option.

I was also doing my head in with trying to get W11 installed both on my laptop and desktop.
There's an inherent refusal to update due to the BIOS settings that have to be changed for security purposes. I'm not computer illiterate and do BIOS adjustments from time to time but of course a laptop isn't an easy one to work with so I didn't bother.
My desktop BIOS was adjusted but it still refused to work. It continued showing the message that it was unable to update. Checked the BIOS again and the adjustment I made previously somehow had defaulted back to where it started.
I messed around with some more things which seemed to be related to the same security settings and buggerd the lot up. BIG TIME.
After a lot of head scratching and the dread of perhaps having to buy a new motherboard, I found a way to do a default re-set.
Anyway, win10 is still my OS and to be honest it's more than enough for me.

My pooter is a refurbed Dell desktop

As long as it still wakes up when the on/off button is used, that is fine.

Only when it decides to curl up its microchips and the on/off button refuses to wake it up, then I shall replace it...Windies 10 or 11...jury is out on that but right now, it is behaving itself (she says as she crosses fingers, toes and touches wood)

I bought a refurbished HP desktop. It starts in 10 seconds and is super-fast. It was about a third of the cost of a new one with the same specs. I love it. With it being a desk top anything that goes wrong with it I'll be able to replace, and I can expand it as much as I like.

If you use a computer for mainly emailing, writing documents, and web surfing, avoid headaches by buying a chromebook. No more headaches.

If you use a computer for mainly emailing, writing documents, and web surfing, avoid headaches by buying a chromebook. No more headaches.
That isn't strictly true...at least not in my specific case

I suffer very severe migraines and have a 28" TV/monitor on my desktop so that I am not spending the day squinting at the screen

Chromebooks max screensize is 15.6"...far too small.

My last laptop was an Alienware 17.3", that was a struggle to use for more than an hour at a time without causing a massive headache and blurred eyes. There is no way a 15.6" would do for me.

I prefer the desktop cos I can get a screen that suits my needs, that is something you simply cannot do with a laptop.

I gotta admit, my new (secondhand but new to me) screen is 24 inch and my old one was 17? inch. I can literally get 2 of my old screen on the new screen (width wise). And it's normal resolution is 2400 x something but I only have it at half that and everything is big and readable :)

The new screen doesn't produce much heat either. My old P4 and 17 inch monitor would heat my room in winter. I'm not sure this new one will. :)

I been using a Chromebook for a few years now. Zero issues zero problems and never thrown it once. Whereas normally any laptop i had in past would not have lasted as long without giving me nightmares. But do agree the screen is a bit small.......

Most reactions

Back