Need help with computer before I stick an axe thru it

The latest version of Windows 10 is 21H2.
From time to time new versions of W10 came out and each would eventually stop being supported so you needed to download a newer version when that happened. It didn't cost anything, you just do it through Windows update and it took quite a while. I think 21H2 is the only one currently supported. My PC upgraded to it automatically in February.
Maybe this will help manually install it.

Windows 11 attacked my computer for about a week. I stopped all updates for 7 days, and since that ended, the system seems to have recognized my desktop is too old for 11. I had a message saying 10 would be supported for a few more years.
I think you just have to live with what you have. 10 is no longer the thing, and I suspect your attempts to update are feeding you over to 11, which won't work on your PC. The differences aren't supposed to be anything of great interest anyway. They're just busy making more functional tech look like it's scrap. It's one of those corporate green initiatives.:confused:

windows 11 isnt that good i prefer windows 10
chrome OS and apple/mac OS is more user-friendly and easy to use than windows

Unless you have a specific need, don't upgrade to windows 11, it's a bad attempt to make windows look like apple os, and on top of that the ever growing "need" to sink into your personal information continues unabated. Unless you have a very specific need to update a piece of software or system part, stay with windows 10 as it is. And if that's the case, I'm sure there are workarounds or alternatives if in fact ms has dropped all support for windows 10. I'm out of the tech loop these days, I used to tinker with computers until about windows 7, I lost interest after that, and if I ever go back to it, it will be with open source, windows and apple os have become indistinguishable except for which one claims to "fit you better", and apple has always been the snobby alternative while windows just keeps getting more patronizing towards the user in an attempt to "work easier" and ape mac in its simplistic interface

I'm running ten and haven't had any messages about 11, I have a powerful desktop, but it hasn't seen anything about eleven yet.

I am lucky....I have Windies 10 my pooter is not able to upgrade to Windies 11 and that is absolutely fine by me.

If it ain't broke, don't start faffing about with it.

What kind of antivirus software do you have...if any?

Have you run a virus scan since getting the PC?
The computer has Windows Defender anti virus, firewall, etc. I did try running a full virus scan and the pc crashed about an hour later when it was half way through the scan.

It crashed a few more times as well and then the updates wouldn't work. Kept saying update failed and gave me a code, which was a standard do an update code.

Any way, after 4 days of trying to do updates and having the stupid thing crash and fail to update, it worked at 3am this morning. All the updates just installed, including the update for Windows 10 (20H2), so the second last one they did for Win10.

The pc works fine, got a new web browser (MS Edge latest version). It even appears (touch wood) that the other issue I had with the forum not removing the read pages, has been fixed.

I don't know why the updates didn't want to install. The interweb thing and all the pages from microsofty didn't offer any help at all and simply ran me around in circles telling me to upgrade to Windows 11. There's lots of hair on the floor, a few dents in the walls from me bashing my head against it, and I went through a few more heart pills than I should have, but it works. Now all I need to do is get some sleep and not use any internet data until the end of the month.

The computer has Windows Defender anti virus, firewall, etc. I did try running a full virus scan and the pc crashed about an hour later when it was half way through the scan.

It crashed a few more times as well and then the updates wouldn't work. Kept saying update failed and gave me a code, which was a standard do an update code.

Any way, after 4 days of trying to do updates and having the stupid thing crash and fail to update, it worked at 3am this morning. All the updates just installed, including the update for Windows 10 (20H2), so the second last one they did for Win10.

The pc works fine, got a new web browser (MS Edge latest version). It even appears (touch wood) that the other issue I had with the forum not removing the read pages, has been fixed.

I don't know why the updates didn't want to install. The interweb thing and all the pages from microsofty didn't offer any help at all and simply ran me around in circles telling me to upgrade to Windows 11. There's lots of hair on the floor, a few dents in the walls from me bashing my head against it, and I went through a few more heart pills than I should have, but it works. Now all I need to do is get some sleep and not use any internet data until the end of the month.
Good news.

Speaking of browsers, I'm really liking this one...I used to be a Firefox fan, but Brave beats it in speed, safety, and features, IME

Got a secondhand pc with windows 10 on it.
I can't do updates, it won't install them.
I have been online and done everything on the stupid Microsoft help pages and it doesn't help.

This is one of the messages I have and I have done an update for it and took 2 days to get it to go thru. It still comes up with the same stupid message.

"Your version of Windows has reached end of service. We recommend you update to the most recent version of Windows 10 to get the latest features and security improvements."

Any ideas how I fix this before I stick a fuplie axe thru it?

Please put responses in simple terms because I am not computer literate and really hate these fuplie things.
I vote for the axe option. Please post the video.

When did you get it? Is it like an old new computer? The people may have sold it cause it doesnt work well and crashes a lot. I would probably just invest in a newer computer OR get an older one that you absolutely knows still works. Windows 11 works great for us... But please show the video of you axing your current computer :)

I'm running ten and haven't had any messages about 11, I have a powerful desktop, but it hasn't seen anything about eleven yet.
That will almost certainly mean your computer isn't compatible. Regardless of how old or how powerful it is, Microsoft have chosen to restrict support to computers that have specific processors (you can actually install it on other computers but you won't get any updates).
Mine's only a year old but it doesn't run one of those processors, so I haven't had any notifications either. Happy days! 😁

When did you get it? Is it like an old new computer? The people may have sold it cause it doesnt work well and crashes a lot. I would probably just invest in a newer computer OR get an older one that you absolutely knows still works. Windows 11 works great for us... But please show the video of you axing your current computer :)
It's a secondhand computer I bought form a secondhand computer store. Basically a guy gets old used computers and does them up, makes sure they work and sells them off to people who can't afford $2000 for a new one. Yes they cost that much here.

The computer says it was made in 2017 so its only 5 yrs old and is working fine since the updates installed. But it was close to them not making it that far. :hatchetchase: except it is me chopping the pc, not a yellow pacman type thing..

I didn't want to buy a new pc because I have 4 here and one is meant to be getting fixed under warranty if I can get it to the repair place, and that is if I can get the data off the hard drive. I also needed a computer because the warranty company says they have to email me stuff. Can't do emails when the computer doesn't work.

I have launched a pooter from the second floor via an unopened window in the past cos it misbehaved so much @Colin_T so I totally empathise with you.

As said before, whoever stated that a pooter would make life easier needs to be taken outside, and beaten with a wet lettuce in their most delicate parts. Pooters are not and never will be user friendly, they will always throw a curveball tantrum when you least need or want it.

My printer stopped working. I spent three hours today fixing it, I pulled the whole thing to pieces and then rebuilt it. The problem was some paper stuck in the cartridge drive mechanism. The support code said to take it to a canon service agent. That was me🤣

Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them. – Spock, Star Trek

Most reactions

Back