Need Help Identifying Corydoras

Asmodaues

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Im wanting to add a few more corydoras to my tank. Charlie is a single cory in a 20gal tank with 5 neons, 2 shrimp and 1 tri-banded loach.

My tank is currently gravel base and will be sand this weekend.

This is Charlie,

It looks like it could be a very large female peppered cory, but a firm ID would easier to make with a clearer photo showing any markings on the fins and tail.

agreeing with Baccus, large female peppered cory and she needs some friends. She will also need some friends of the same type. In the wild cories live in large groups and the recommendation would be groups of 5-6 but that isn't 5 or 6 different types of cory. They needs groups of the each type 

Will 2-3 more work for now untill i get a bigger tank? In a tad hesitant to put that many more bigger fish into such a small tank.

looking at those tail markings I'd say definite peppered. Peppered cories tend to be on the larger end of the cory species. You'd have been better with something like panda's which stay far far smaller. I'm no good at working in gallons - can you tell me the tank dimensions please

A standard Us 20 gallon long is 30x12x12 I believe, just over 75.5 litres

Oh yes, sorry. Its a 20gal standard tank. Heated and stays around 76-78 degrees with filter setup.

The tank base gravel is being replaced this weekend with sand after learning it could hurt their soft stomachs. Im currently trying to find more driftwood or a few rocks with holes for better decor/hiding spots for my cherry shrimp and loach.

hi again, thanks for the conversions! I'd say it's a bit small for 6 peppered - even if you can get males (which are smaller than the females) ... you might get away with 4 which is better than one on it's own.

See what others think though - don't just take my word for it. 

Also peppered cories like it cool (around 75 ish) I'm keeping mine at 77 at the moment as my angels like it warmer and I'm trying to keep a happy medium. I think provided it doesn't go above that they'll be okay. If you are able to turn it down without upsetting the other stock then she'll certainly appreciate it
smile.png

I agree the fish in the photos is most likely Corydoras paleatus, commonly called the Pepper Cory.  Asmodaues, you could "Google" photos of this species yourself and confirm the traits.

As for numbers, do not have less than five.  You will have no issue with five in a basic 20g (which is 24 inches in length, whereas the 20g long is 30 inches length).  Either will be fine with five or six of this species.

When considering stocking, one must never ignore the requirements of the species.  Asmodaues, as you are asking the question I will explain this.  Shoaling fish are fish that live in groups in their habitat.  This is an important aspect of their requirements, and they will not be in the best of health unless they have several of their species with them.  Different species have varying needs for shoaling, but in all cases one reason is security; they are programmed by nature to know that in groups they are safer.  You cannot always see the effects of not providing this, and individual fish can vary somewhat, but generally speaking you cause stress to a shoaling fish if this critical aspect of its evolution is ignored.

The impact that a fish has on the biology of the aquarium can alter.  Fish under stress impact the bioload more, because they are working harder and adding more to the water than fish that are not stressed.  So when it comes down to it, having say one or two or three cories in a tank may well cause them stress which adds more to the bioload than if you had five or six.  And when I say adding to the bioload, there is more to this than just the organic waste they produce.  Allomones and pheromones are being released, and other fish read these, and this can in fact further increase the problems.  It is like a domino effect.

So, your cories will be happier and therefore healthier with five or six in a 20g tank.  Obviously, once can push this too far, but from what I've read and seen in this thread, we are not doing this.  Providing sand will make a big difference too, as cories need to sift the sand through their gills, something they cannot do with gravel.  And being regular with weekly water changes of half the tank will help as well.

Byron.

Thank you for that information Byron!

The lack of others to school with does explain why charlie hids alot.

Is there a particular type of formation they like to hide/rest in? All my previous tank experience lies with danios, tetras, small schooling fish.

I take great pride in my tanks and fish. I try to give them the best habitat I can. Ive gone as far as putting my 2 male bettas in 5gallon tanks each. I do weekly water changes and check my filters at least twice a week to make sure they dont ever plug up.

Asmodaues said:
Thank you for that information Byron!

The lack of others to school with does explain why charlie hids alot.

Is there a particular type of formation they like to hide/rest in? All my previous tank experience lies with danios, tetras, small schooling fish.

I take great pride in my tanks and fish. I try to give them the best habitat I can. Ive gone as far as putting my 2 male bettas in 5gallon tanks each. I do weekly water changes and check my filters at least twice a week to make sure they dont ever plug up.

You're welcome (and thanks Ch4lie too).  You are on the right track, wanting to give the best habitat.  The closer the aquarium is to the natural habitat in providing the "hardscape" the fish expect, the better the fish will be.

Staying "hidden" can indeed be a sign of being stressed, so more will or should help that.  Some species are always "out and about" more than others, as I have discovered over the years observing the 20 or more different species of cories I have or have had.  It has been a long time since I kept C. paleatus, but I believe it is normally fairly active, and undoubtedly he will be with some more.

I always have a lot of chunks of wood in my tanks with South American fish.  Wood is found in all their habitats, with a very few exceptions.  Your decor suits this requirement, though you might want to add some real wood.  Another benefit of wood is that it releases tannins and organic substances into the water, and this will benefit in several ways.  Plants also help, and you could add some floating plants which are the easiest to care for.  Most forest fish appreciate a "roof" above them, again for security.  This also lessens the overhead light, something else that can bother these fish.

You can rinse the filter media at every water change.  I rinse my sponge filters and my one small internal filter every week; the canisters on the largest tanks are cleaned less often.  But with smaller tanks/filters, weekly is fine.  Just rinse the pads and any hard media.

Byron.

agreeing that cories like to have things to hide and shade under. I have a really large lump of wood in my tank and my cories use that as their little house. They swim in and out and use it to shade under. They also shade under plants. They tend to come out to feed and then go back the group shading under wood or plants. I see this as normal cory behaviour :)

So far so good, I agree with advice given.
You will see a marked difference in behavior with more friends, sand, and shady plants.
In my 55 I have a mix of Bronze, Albino, and Peppered. Although the same species, the Bronze and Albinos segregate. And the Peppers also spread out more. Can't say this for everyone, but in my tank the Bronze and Albinos cruise the substrate at feeding time. Nothing like a shoal eyes deep in the sand. While the Peppers will vacuum the plants.

Also add a few more Peppereds and watch the fun begin. If they are healthy and happy they will breed. Always fun to watch.
Jealous though, after two batches of Peppers from two different shops, I only seem to pick males.

Reading the latest posts today reminds me of an article in the current issue of Amazonas authored by Hans Georg Evers that I was reading yesterday.  It describes his collecting trip to a stream in southern Peru that until now has not been commercially fished, and he discovered what he believes are five new cory species.  But it was his description of what he observed as he snorkelled along the creek that was pertinent to what has been mentioned here.

The fish apparently became quite used to his presence after a time, and he describes how shoals of corys would swim within inches of his face, burying themselves continually half way into the mud/sand substrate, with the latter halves of their bodies sticking up.  It is a good observation of the normal behaviour of these fish, and why the substrate is so critical to their well being.  We obviously don't want mud in our tanks, but sand that is smooth, such as play sand, works very well.

Another very interesting observation involved the mixed company of two and three different cory species, shoaling together.  He describes collecting groups of fish using a seine net, as is common in the Amazon, and finding mainly one species with several individuals of a second species and sometimes a couple individuals of a third species, all together.  There is a difference of opinion among aquarists as to whether or not cory species should be mixed in an aquarium, but Mr. Evers observations show that they get along nicely in the wild.  At least these do, but I am certain the behaviour extends across most of the genus.

It is an interesting article if anyone want to read it.  There is a good highway that now crosses this creek, so likely we will in time see collections of these fish appearing.  The sympatric species included several characins (tetra), whiptails, farlowella, and a few plecos.

Byron.

Most reactions

Back