Nano Reef

arif_93

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi im soo annoyed with my failure at a planted tank so im thinking of stripping it down and starting a nano reef.
i have an aquaqube 40 13x13x15 inches i have an 18watt light a aquavital hang on filter a 50 watt heater this is what i have.
what else will i need to start a nano reef and roughly what are the prices im only 14 btw i can spend more then 75-100 pounds excluding fish

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but from what i've read on here, if you're struggling with a planted tank then your probably going to struggle with a nano reef.

EDIT- I've been planning for the last month or two a nano that i'll set up in around June/July so I've got a kind of price plan scribbled out with help from this forum:

Nano tank: £50 (40 litre cube ) (DIY job)
Powerheads:£30
Salt: £12
Bucket: £1 x 2 = £2
Jug: £1
Test Kit: £20
Refractometer: £25
Digital Thermometer: £4 (vtreef on here)
RO Unit: £60
RO water containers: 2 x £5= £10
Heater: £5 (50w) + £5 (25W waterchanges)
Live Rock: £45 (5-7kg)
Live Sand: £20
Lighting: £75 (MH)
Rowaphos: £8
Cleaning bits:£15

This is by no means the perfect shopping list, but it's a start. You could probably get some of it cheaper, yet some will cost you a bit more so I wouls say it would cost roughly £250-£350 to set up the tank.

If this is way out someone with more exp. please please please tell me :lol: but as I say, this is a roughly scribbled plan.

A nano tank can be as difficult as a planted. Be aware that you may be trading one frustration for another. These can be quite the challenge at times. SH

i will only need to spend 15 on powerheads and i wont need most of the stuff u listed liek rowaphos etc i alreaady got bucket and jug
and iiwas thinkin of jsut buying a marine starter kit for 55 pounds This kit contains 10Kg of Red Sea salt, Hydrometer, Nitrite, pH and Alkalinity test kits, Success buff and Calcium suppliments.
i will spend 30 pounds on live rock and 15 on live sand thus making the swap over change less then 100 pounds including the other bits and bobs lol.
im not gonna use ro water its just gonna be a lil tank for some clownfish a few firefish lol. i have decided that my planted tank has only beed set up for1 month so i probs wont change to marine until my next birthday in may 08 ill be 15 ;) have a job by then hopefully and i can pay for it myself lol

Most reactions

Back