Building a 10 gallon - I need your help!

Neons at 8-9, embers at 10 and pygmy's at 12, then some shrimp. Got it!

Yes I will do weekly water changes like I do with my other tanks and more frequent ones as necessary.

I think I will just stick to root tabs for now as I think I would mess the tank up using aquasoil somehow!

How often should I feed the pygmy's? I'll drop a small algae wafer down for the shrimp once a week but I don't know if I should feed the pygmy's everyday or every other day?

I'm also going to add some mature filter media from my other tanks and bottled bacteria to hopefully speed up the cycle.

Also, you guys are so amazing!!! I don't know what this tank would be without your help but I can't wait to see the finished product!!
You can feed the pygmys on the same schedule you feed your other fish. Which doesn't have to be all that often. Once a day and make sure to have a fasting day at least once or twice a week. Since fish are cold blooded, they don't need the calories to maintain their body temperature.
I don't even feed my shrimp. They're scavengers. Algae, uneaten fish food, infusoria; they'll find something on their own.

Last edited:
Food has to be providing what the fish need, and not what they don't need or have trouble digesting. Cories cannot digest plant matter, so don't put algae tabs in. If you had herbivorous loricariids, you can feed the algae tabs once a week, but use Omega One Veggie Tabs because they also have whole shrimp and fish which the cories can manage. The primary food for cories is Bug Bites. If you are in the UK there is a specially-developed cory tablet, not available in NA so far as I know. Omega One Shrimp Pellets are good for cories. These do not have all the meal fillers.

Frozen daphnia will be relished. Frozn or live brine shrimp. Avoid worms esp with pygmies, the fat and protein level is much too high.

Most reactions

Back