Nano Reef

mrjames

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey all,

this is the first time i have posted in the marine section and after weeks of reading mainly on here and in pf i have loads of questions!! sorry!! lol i have kept tropical for a coouple of years now n i have seen a nano reef tank i am planning on buying if i can get a grip on it all...so here goes!

1) is the more lr u have better??

2)do you filter with the same type of media as freshwater?? and if so is it the same idea as freshwater with the fish poo building up and creating the right bacteria for the cycle?

3) when preparing water for a water change does the water have to be up to tempature before you add the salt? how often are water changes needed? wat percentage of water has to be changed??

4) How much salt is needed to a litre or gallon of water?? and do you have to use RO water??

5) What types of lighting is needed for the LR and fish?? wat does this lighting do??

6) how long does it take to cycle a new marine tank??

7) what is SG?

Last but not least...lol

8) what is Cured rock??

i know there are a load of questions there and i prob wont get any replys lol but its worth a try! if anyone can help me with this it would be great and i promise to post a diary ect when im up and running!!

thanks again

james B) B)

ok ill give it a shot in answering some q's
#1 yes the more live rock you have the better. makes better filtration
#2 you dont rely on any filter media as the LR does the job for you. the only stuff you could use is phosphorate remover or activated carbon.
#3 anything fomr 10% to 50% can be done for water changes. with nanosd most people do between 10- 25%
#4 havnt a clue think it depends on brand of salt. and not using RO water can cause algae problems and then problems with chlorine and heavy metals like copper that are toxic to inverts.
#5 not much lighting is needed for a FOWLR tank but the ligths need to be in marine spectrum. in my opinion it would be better to buy a good lighting unit (either T5, power compact or hqi metal halide) because you will probably take a fancy to that colourful coral youve seen in your LFS
6# not a clue
7# Sg stands for specific gravity. this measures the salt content of the water
:good: i hope i helped with some stuff :)

*ps i think all that info is correct but some may be a bit iffy

agree with the above :nod: :nod:

4. not sure but think its about 1kg per 30litres off the top of my head does tell you on the label on the salt

6. depends from tank to tank you need a test kit to follow you water through its cycle ammonia-nitrite-nitrate once you have your ammonia and nitrite at 0.00 and your nitrate is below about 20ppm you can add clean up crew to help do battle with the diatoms etc

cured live rock is as far as i know rock which has been held in a holding tank to allow die off and to cycle

hope this helps and :hi:

1) is the more lr u have better??
No – you can actually have to much live rock to the point where it impeads the flow, this would create dead spots on your rock & you could have some die off

2)do you filter with the same type of media as freshwater?? and if so is it the same idea as freshwater with the fish poo building up and creating the right bacteria for the cycle?
As rhysiboy Marine tanks biological filtration comes from Liverock (or the bacteria that colonise it)

3) when preparing water for a water change does the water have to be up to tempature before you add the salt? how often are water changes needed? wat percentage of water has to be changed??
I get my water up to 26c (aerated) then add the salt, I change about 20% every 2 – 3 weeks

4) How much salt is needed to a litre or gallon of water?? and do you have to use RO water??
Bit embaressed to say I have never measure the qty I use, I can usually just judge it by eye & yes RO is really the only water to use or you will simply be adding phosphate & heavy metals that will build up & casue major problems later

5) What types of lighting is needed for the LR and fish?? wat does this lighting do??
Basic Freshwater lighting could be used (if it were fish only) but the likes of T5 Power compact will make the tank look a lot sharper, crisper & cleaner (IMO) & allow you to move in to some species of Corals,
6) how long does it take to cycle a new marine tank??
Sometime a day but I have heard of tanks that take months, when your Ammonia & NitrIte have spiked then dropped back – you have cycled
7) what is SG?
As rhysiboy says
8)what is Cured rock??
Rock that contains the bacteria required to maintain your biological filtration & is ready to add to your tank

wooohoooo i actualy answered someones questions compentently (cept the live rock one :p)

Some great advice given above. Just as a clarification about the LR question #1. 1lb/gallon is a reccomended minimum, and usually 2lb/gallon would be an ideal. Its when you start getting above 2lb/gallon that you may get into issues where the rock is too densly packed and not getting enough flow. That upper number is obviously not absoloute, but a good rule of thumb :good:

wow!! thanks guys for your advice, its really made it all alot clearer now!! give it a while n il have a few more complicated questions to pick all your brains with!! but thanks alot guys!! have a good day!!

james

So you dont need to add bacteria or anything? If you add sand and live rock the day you bought the tank, along with the heater and filter, your tank will start to cycle, right? No bacteria is needed cause of all the rocks etc?

Correct, the bacteria is on the rocks allready. Its like buying your friend's freshwater HOB filter. While its nice to have the bacteria you still need to stock slowly. Once the dieoff period is over and ammonia/nitrite drop to zero (USUALLY within a week), you can add A fish. Don't add all your stock at once.

Remember, in the saltwater world, beauty takes time and research while disaster happens quickly.

Most reactions

Back