My Triop Is Dieing

Yep, 2-8 weeks.
lol dude i was surprisingly upset when my first one died, and my second batch when they all died i was annoyed but not so much upset you'll get over it its not like there sociable things lol

reviving but....mine lasted a good 3 months :) he was pretty large to :hyper:

Yeah, old topic, its normal to get loads hatch out, have a die out a few weeks in and be left with one or a few depending on tank/population size that live for months. T.cancriformis are generally longer lived too.

just found this for you all
i love triops lol they are wierd but cool :good:

What exactly are Triops?
Triops are crustaceans that look like miniature horseshoe crabs. Larger members of the crustacean family include crabs and lobsters. Smaller members are brine shrimp, fairy shrimp and Daphnia. The exact name of the species we sell is Triops longicaudatus

How long will my Triops live?
Triops have a relatively short lifespan of 20 to 90 days.

How fast and how large will my Triops grow?
Triops grow quickly to their adult length of one to three inches. After hatching, they often double in size daily! How large they grow depends on the amount of light and food they receive.

What about my Triops' life cycle?
The young quickly move through several larval stages, shedding (molting) their exoskeletons each time. Adults can complete their life cycle in less than 30 days.

What makes my Triops colorful?
The bright colors of Triops are due to hemoglobin in the blood and a dark blue-green pigment in the connective tissue.

Do my Triops have gills like fish?
Not quite. Triops are called branchiopods (meaning "gill foot") because they obtain oxygen from the water through their feet.

How will my Triops behave?
Triops are usually in constant motion and have entertaining feeding and breathing patterns that include amazing acrobatics & upside-down swimming. While swimming on its back, the Triops is able to sweep food into its mouth by using its many legs.

Where do Triops grow normally?
Your Triops eggs were raised on special aquatic farms, but in nature they inhabit temporary ponds all over the world. These ponds usually dry up during certain times of the year when there is no rainfall, but the Triops survive!

Triops grow in many parts of the world, including Japan, Russia, western North America, Africa, Australia, and, more infrequently, in Central and South America, the West Indies, Hawaii, New Caledonia, the Galapagos Islands, and India.

How do Triops survive when their ponds dry up?
Although the adult Triops die during droughts, the embryos survive by entering a state of suspended animation or diapause (DYE-uh-pawse). The embryos remain in diapause until the rains return and fill up the temporary ponds once again, making it safe for them to hatch.

How do the eggs know when to enter diapause?
The female transmits a message to the eggs that stops their growth when they are either 13 or 27 days old. This same message lets the eggs know that when they are exposed to water again, it will be time to hatch. The growth message, probably chemical, essentially stops the biological clock of the embryonic Triops.

Do Triops have scientific value?
Yes they do! Triops, Inc.'s neurophysiologist Eugene Hull, Ph.D., studies diapause in the hope of extracting the biological-clock-stopping chemical found in the eggs. He believes that it could be used to suspend cellular growth in humans. Imagine the potential uses: from slowing the aging process, to putting a stop to cancer growth or to easing space travel!

I don't know if anyone's interested, but there's a cool new book out about Triops called Triops-- a very unusual creature. It has a lot of info and some really great photographs. You can find it at www.littlesciencebooks.com

Most reactions

Back