My Shrimp Only Tank - Cherry And Crs

Hi guys, just a quick update of the tank itself, they shrimp are doing great, and the red cherries are breeding pretty fast, have little shrimplets all over the place, will have to get rid of some soon enough.
Few photos to see whats going on:

pict0111tl0.jpg

pict0123oj2.jpg

pict0143zf0.jpg

pict0136fy3.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

im gonna have to ask some hard questions now =]
where did u get the moss from and how much did u start with?
what lights are you running?
where did you get the ferts from and how much where they?

the reson i say they are hard questions is people dont usualy respond with full answers =[
and the reason im asking is because i started to plan my shrimp tank a few weeks ago and was going to go with co2 but if you have had this much of a goo reaction without i may try your route. ive also had my plastic canvas for around 6 months waiting for moss which i orderd about a week ago then i stumble onto a tank witch is what im going to aim for and i guess im just hoping if i pick your brains enough my tank will look half as good as this!
keep up the good work.

hell ive even contacted SULAWESI fish forms to source me the shrimp and i think im gonna be getting them for around 20 usd per shrimp which isnt bad at all asi cant seem to find them anywhere!

hope you can help me
NoRp

p.s. did you write any kind of diary on ether the srhimp or the moss wall?

Hey, do you have any of the weeping moss available to post? Or can you recommend an online retailer?

Thanx

Well just a quick update on this tank, the ADA Amazonia II soil I put in this tank when I first setup it up started breaking up after 6 months of usage so this is what my tank looked like when I uprooted some plants or messed about with the substrate:

pict0010k.jpg

pict0018uub.jpg

So after 5 months of milky water I decided to get rid of the ADA soil and purchased some of the new Oliver Knott Nature soil instead which is shrimp friendly, so it claims.

A few photos of the substrate change, goodbye ADA Amazonia II FOREVER!!!! Worst thing I ever purchased in my life!!!

Tank clean and ready to go:
pict0026.jpg

The inspector watching to make sure I was doing everything properly:
pict0035b.jpg

Just after planting and turning on the filters:
pict0053m.jpg

4 hours after setup, crystal clear water for the first time in about 4-5 months!!
pict0060e.jpg

Closer look:
pict0069b.jpg

Really like this substrate, colour and size are perfet for this size tank:
pict0082.jpg

I couldn't find the rocks I needed so used what I have and this tank now needs a few extra plants too.

Later on in the day I added some of the shrimp and created the fissidens fontanus carpert.

pict0022yut.jpg

pict0056h.jpg

pict0062.jpg

After spending 5 hours catching shrimp so that I could change the substrate this is what I had left LOL

pict0002.jpg

Lovely tank. That new substrate looks pretty nice, I'm planning on changing mine over from sand when I move in a couple of months, but not sure what to yet. Let us know how you get on with it!

Looking great!

ADA auqasoil certainly does work for plants, but I've had similar experiences with cloudiness.

Thats a lot of shrimp!

Here is how the tank looks today:
pict1140.jpg

pict1144.jpg

pict1149.jpg

pict1161.jpg

Some macros has one of the little CRS was right at the front of the tank, they don't look high grade at least not this one but its a start ;)

Spot the CRS (and not the dirty glass):
pict1139f.jpg

pict1166.jpg

pict1134.jpg

pict1151.jpg

Adult CRS:
pict1143d.jpg

Some of my adult Red Cherries:
pict1127.jpg

pict1129.jpg

Wow, thats stunning.

When you moving the moss wall, did you find any bodies?

Ive heard shrimp and small fish get trapped behind them... Im asking because im planning on making a moss wall, but i may use magnets to keep it flush with the glass as shown in a tutorial in the planted section.

i love that moss wall might try the same thing in mine, that really was an inspiration :hyper:

question, what is the white stuff on your shrimp? i've never had shrimp and am only starting a 20 gallon tank 10 years after i used to have a little tank when I was little too (and i did all wrong back then) :blush: but i am determined to do it right this time, and as awesome as yours

i love that moss wall might try the same thing in mine, that really was an inspiration :hyper:

question, what is the white stuff on your shrimp? i've never had shrimp and am only starting a 20 gallon tank 10 years after i used to have a little tank when I was little too (and i did all wrong back then) :blush: but i am determined to do it right this time, and as awesome as yours

haha sorry about my ignorance of the white stuff on you shrimp that was me only seeing the first page not realising there were a further 2 pages and seeing the shrimp in all their glory :good:

Most reactions

Back