My Sailfin Plec

death

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi ive noticed that my sailfin plec has started to bully and attack the fish and the frogs is this normal for him he used to be such an easy go character until today do you think its because hes a little bigger and hes starting to get terrortorial ie hes wanting the tank for himself so attacking all tank mates ? :/

Sounds like it to me.

unfortuently some of them can turn nasty, I've lost some beautiful discus when mine turned on them :-( , best advise is to remove him before anything nasty happens

A 20gal tank is far too small to house a sailfin plec either way though, you need to get somthing in the dimensions of 4-5ft long, 2ft wide and 2ft high as sailfin plecs can grow to 2ft+ long themselves, and keeping him in a tank too small will only make him agressive and get stunted growth, which is not good.

yes i know that since joining this site i have learned some more about fish keeping :) but unfortuneatley my lfs gave me some bad advice when i first got him hence the reason i dont go there any more would a trigon 190 be ok ? as i do like this tank and was thinking of getting one?

I make that tank around 190 litres. That is nowhere close to big enough for a sailfin plec I'm afraid.

You're looking at 100 gallons (4x2x2) as an absolute minimum for a full grown sailfin, though it will take a fair while as the growth slows down after the 7" mark and then slows further after around 14".

However, it is twice the size of your current tank so would definately be an improvement, but don't be surprised if you have to upgrade again quite soon.

I make that tank around 190 litres. That is nowhere close to big enough for a sailfin plec I'm afraid.

You're looking at 100 gallons (4x2x2) as an absolute minimum for a full grown sailfin, though it will take a fair while as the growth slows down after the 7" mark and then slows further after around 14".

However, it is twice the size of your current tank so would definately be an improvement, but don't be surprised if you have to upgrade again quite soon.

100 gallons :crazy: thats some size of tank lol ok thanks for everyones feed back and ill try and post a pic of the plec soon just to make sure its a sailfin plec thanks joe

Most reactions

Back