My Red Tailed Shark

my uncle works for madienhead aquatics and honestly knows what hes on about and said it should be fine. my dads one never grew that big in his tank.

Honestly... he doesn't.

Your dad's never got that big becasue it was stunted and probably dieing much younger than it should have.

I'd be surprised if it did go for the neons (which also aren't ideal for a tank that size), but it does need a bigger tank and lots of hiding places. You'll see fish far more when they have somewhere to hide. Also they are not algae eaters, they're omnivors and will eat pretty much anything.

go tell him that been as you live in surrey. he works in the woking one.

and no offence but what do you know about my dads tank? my dads had two that both lived for years..

i dont wish to start an argument with this post. but i have a feeling that is whats gona happen.

This is getting to be a routine lately,

People ask for advice, then when the advice arrives which doesnt suit them they go off in a strop!

You asked for help re your RTBS, it isnt really suitable for a 9Gall tank, which is really rather small. In a larger tank with more places to forage and feel secure it would probably become more active. Its a similar situation for the Banjo. They will thrive in a larger sand bottomed tank where they will dig about and in most cases lay under the sand.

Neons are ok for a tank that small.

Basically what im getting at is both the RTBS and BAnjo will survive in that tank, but it probably wont thrive. You yourself could live in a cupboard, but you wouldnt thrive in it.

im not going off in a strop. im simply asking why i should listen to you over my uncle who has worked with fish for years and has a brilliant knowledge. go argue with him not me. i asked out of intrest not to cause a bloody argument.

maybe ill just keep myself to myself from now on. been as anything i say people bite at.

Are you sure the dimensions you gave were in centimetres and not in inches? If it had been inches, then that would be absolutely fine, but if it is centimetres, then that tank is too small for both the sharks and a grown bristlenose.

It doesn't matter if someone has managed to keep one alive in such a small tank - ponies have survived being kept in garden sheds and never exercised, children survived Roumanian oprhanages. This forum is about promoting the wellbeing of fish. But I am still wondering if there hasn't been a mistake with the dimensions.

no the dimensions are correct. look it up yourself if you wish. its a fluval 500. ill measure when i get back home to make sure for you.

i never stated someone has kept one alive in a small tank btw.

You have to decide for yourself who to go with. Some members in this forum have worked at fish stores as well. There is always very controversial topics on here. You asked for advice, we gave it to you. Just because it doesn't match what someone else says doesn't mean it's not true. Just because somebody could keep two RTS in a tank for years doesn't mean everybody can, or that they are happy. Just because you don't want to believe us doesn't mean you shouldn't. We're trying to help. Take our advice or leave it.

maybe ill just keep myself to myself from now on. been as anything i say people bite at.

Well why bother asking for advice when you don't listen to the advice you're giving.

No one's having a go at you, but coincidentally enough, everyone else agress that the conditions are wrong. It's not having a go at you (or your misinformed uncle / father) it's because most people here care about the fish they keep and are happy to help people who ask for advice as many of us speak with experience of keeping the same fish.

You have to decide for yourself who to go with. Some members in this forum have worked at fish stores as well. There is always very controversial topics on here. You asked for advice, we gave it to you. Just because it doesn't match what someone else says doesn't mean it's not true. Just because somebody could keep two RTS in a tank for years doesn't mean everybody can, or that they are happy. Just because you don't want to believe us doesn't mean you shouldn't. We're trying to help. Take our advice or leave it.

i think id rather just shut up to be honest. if i decide to ignore you then im going to get moaned at anyway.

all i asked is why should i believe you over my uncle. but why should i believe my uncle over you.

and im not saying that i dont believe you. but jsut look at this post for instance. there has been several different opinions already.

so which one am i meant to take.

im not here to cause arguments. so id rather you didnt take pops at me for my replys. and that isnt just aimed at you its aimed at everyone. i dont care if people now think im an idiot. you dont know me and i dont know you.

i asked for advice. and it seems to of been a mistake.

i asked for advice. and it seems to of been a mistake.

I do think advice has been pretty unanimous- as soon as people realised the size of the tank. Basically, the bristlenose and the shark are going to be too much of a bioload for the tank, and there won't be enough swimming space for the shark.

I looked briefly at some standard aquarium books (Schliewen, Baensch etc), just to make sure there was some backing for my views outside this forum and I couldn't find anyone that did not give a much bigger minimum tank for the RTBS that the fluval 500.

Your mistake was not in asking the advice but in expressing anger and swearing (against forum rules!) when you did not like the advice. This is a family forum, so though controversial opinions are welcome, members do have to watch how they express them.

The hobby is full of myths that have been perpetuating for years, because of this I'll often go for a second opinion about advice from anyone who has been in the hobby for years as there's a good chance that they've bought into many of the myths and will refuse to be convinced otherwise. The biggest one I see (and it looks like it applies to your situation) is that fish will only grow to their environment so the adult size is nonsense. It is true to a point, but doesn't give the whole truth: by keeping a potentially large fish in a small tank you end up stunting it, which will make the fish more vulnerable to disease and ultimately shorten it's lifespan. This is what everyone on this thread is talking about when they're referring to the well being of the fish. I've gotten both incorrect and correct information from people working in fish stores for years, so I've always done research seperately just to make sure.

I've got some indirect experience with this fish, a friend of mine has a 10 gallon community (very overstocked, she's ignored pretty much all advice I've given her even though the fish she's purchased have consistently proven her wrong) with an RTBS. Right when I spotted it in the tank I let her know that it would become large and violent and she should probably take it back. A few months later, he's munching down on her guppies (rescued the two remaining into one of my tanks) and is now threatening to move on to the platys. Considering the neons are about the same size as the guppies, they'll probably become food in a few months unless you rehome the shark. She still refuses to find a new home for the shark, I hope that if you decide to keep the shark and it starts acting up you won't let pride get in the way of finding a suitable home for him, but I can't control either of you.

The hobby is full of myths that have been perpetuating for years, because of this I'll often go for a second opinion about advice from anyone who has been in the hobby for years as there's a good chance that they've bought into many of the myths and will refuse to be convinced otherwise. The biggest one I see (and it looks like it applies to your situation) is that fish will only grow to their environment so the adult size is nonsense. It is true to a point, but doesn't give the whole truth: by keeping a potentially large fish in a small tank you end up stunting it, which will make the fish more vulnerable to disease and ultimately shorten it's lifespan. This is what everyone on this thread is talking about when they're referring to the well being of the fish. I've gotten both incorrect and correct information from people working in fish stores for years, so I've always done research seperately just to make sure.

I've got some indirect experience with this fish, a friend of mine has a 10 gallon community (very overstocked, she's ignored pretty much all advice I've given her even though the fish she's purchased have consistently proven her wrong) with an RTBS. Right when I spotted it in the tank I let her know that it would become large and violent and she should probably take it back. A few months later, he's munching down on her guppies (rescued the two remaining into one of my tanks) and is now threatening to move on to the platys. Considering the neons are about the same size as the guppies, they'll probably become food in a few months unless you rehome the shark. She still refuses to find a new home for the shark, I hope that if you decide to keep the shark and it starts acting up you won't let pride get in the way of finding a suitable home for him, but I can't control either of you.

thank you. this seems more constructive to me tbh. if the shark was to out grow the tank and start attacking the other fish i wouldnt hesitate to take it out or buy a bigger tank.

i dont intend harming my fish.

thank you.

as stated earlier the aggression comes out when your shark finds his way around, he will adopt a certian area and woe betide the poor soul that ventures near it, they are stroppy gits at the best of times and grow fast

im sorry that some people have really got to you, but we care about what your doing, and as your a member of this forum your considered a friend

and together were here to help eachother, as one lacks in knowledge the helps to improve this

we dont all know best but we are experienced in certian fish and if its related to what your talking about then were gunna give our imput because you asked

as stated earlier the aggression comes out when your shark finds his way around, he will adopt a certian area and woe betide the poor soul that ventures near it, they are stroppy gits at the best of times and grow fast

im sorry that some people have really got to you, but we care about what your doing, and as your a member of this forum your considered a friend

and together were here to help eachother, as one lacks in knowledge the helps to improve this

we dont all know best but we are experienced in certian fish and if its related to what your talking about then were gunna give our imput because you asked

then all i have to say is thank you for the advise. and im sorry if i annoyed or offended anyone.

dont no if this topic has gone to far out of hand but ill say what i think ( know ) about my red tail shark

i have a 4ft - 2ft - 2ft tank the red tailed shark does hide alot in his favourite cave and if any of the other fish do try to go in there he chass them off i think he hides alot in his cave to make sure no other fish go in but he does come out at feeding time or when looking for food but most the time its only around his cave the main fish he is at war with are my 3 blue loaches when i put the loaches in they wanted his cave so there was a a bit of a war i was gonna take the loaches out if it did not stop but it got alot better after 2 days now the shark justs chass the blue loaches about from time to time but they all live in the same cave with keeping the shark with smaller wish i would say tiger barbs as they seem to love winding the shark up and he loves to chass them and it never gets out of hand but i would never keep 2 red tail sharks as the sharks NEVER give up when fighting and that means 1 will die and it might not be over night or even a few weeks but theres a good chance there will end up being a fight it was bad seeing him at war with my blue loach as they pritty much the same size i was just lucky it got sorted out

dont no if this topic has gone to far out of hand but ill say what i think ( know ) about my red tail shark

i have a 4ft - 2ft - 2ft tank the red tailed shark does hide alot in his favourite cave and if any of the other fish do try to go in there he chass them off i think he hides alot in his cave to make sure no other fish go in but he does come out at feeding time or when looking for food but most the time its only around his cave the main fish he is at war with are my 3 blue loaches when i put the loaches in they wanted his cave so there was a a bit of a war i was gonna take the loaches out if it did not stop but it got alot better after 2 days now the shark justs chass the blue loaches about from time to time but they all live in the same cave with keeping the shark with smaller wish i would say tiger barbs as they seem to love winding the shark up and he loves to chass them and it never gets out of hand but i would never keep 2 red tail sharks as the sharks NEVER give up when fighting and that means 1 will die and it might not be over night or even a few weeks but theres a good chance there will end up being a fight it was bad seeing him at war with my blue loach as they pritty much the same size i was just lucky it got sorted out

id never put 2 sharks 2geather in a tank anywhere near as small as mine.

i will now keep an eye on the shark and see how hes getting on. if i feel hes outgrowing the tank and is unhappy. then out he comes and goes off to a better home. been as i cant buy a bigger tank as its in my bedroom.

thanks for your input :rolleyes:

For what it's worth .

I had a 6" Red tail shark for years and no problems even with a shoal of 1" cardinals.

THEN I added a shoal of half inch Endler guppies and a shoal of half inch platinum tetras . All 30 fish had gone after 3 nights of hunting by Red Tail Black Shark !!!

Nearly £50 or $100 dollars into his stomach !!!

Oh and yesterday he ate my precious little shell dweller !!!

ancient topic :/

Most reactions

Back