My ponds

i see the tench in the top pond quite a bit but i can't remeber how many i put in there!! they tend to hide inbetween 2 bricks that hold the plant in the middle of the pond. about half out of all of them are golden so you can spot them easily when there on the bottom.

nope only got golden orfe, picked them up cheap at the end of last year!!

the smallest one is the Doitsu Ohgon but they don't look think to me, have a nice profile!!

your right about the thins some of them seem split but the majority are great!!

we recently had a golden tench die :( i noticed it by the water fall netted it and had this big wound on it's side so took it out for treatment, next day it had all fungus on and died later in the day!! we think it had bashed into a cain that might of been dangling in the water.

The big guy looks like one of the recent fish from the Israeli Koi imports, a Aka Matsuba Ogon. Nice fish, I have a few in my pond. Sorry to hear about the Tench, there good little scavengers and its a treat to see them I find because its not to often.

nice, we bought a pair about 2 years back. when i was cleaning the ponds last summer i had put them back in the ponds hadn't put the nets other and it's mate had jumped out the pond :-( we found it later that day.......

he's beng a right pain to get a decent picture of at the moment, he moves into a great postiion then boom he's gone and i miss the shot :(

i haven't seen out biggest tench recently, he must be hiding under the oxygenating weed all the time i'm looking, will go out at night with a light to spot them maybe!!

and after i posted i went out with a fresh battery and got....

Attachments

• golden_koi_5.JPG
    golden_koi_5.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 53
The first pond is 166US Gallons, the second one is 458US Gallons. This means you will have to upgrade to a minimum of 1000gallons as the Koi grow. Great pic of the Koi by the way :thumbs: .

sweet that should be enough reason for Mum, she won't want rid when they get a nice size:D

cheers, got a few good uns of it in the end, didn't manage to get the new koi though, here's another angle of the Hirawake one.

Attachments

• kahuta.JPG
    kahuta.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 49
It may just be the photo angle or lightwise but to me that fish dosen't look great. Just keep an eye on her to be sure.

Out of intrest what is the diet for them?

for those that have been in the pond for a while it's been pond koi sticks, there mutli coloured ones with greenish coloures pellets in aswell.

as for the new koi they'ved only been feeding with us for 3/4 days now, they have that and i chuck in some smaller bog standard pellets for the smaller ones.

i would of posted a pic of it just swimming aorund but it seems to like hiding in the weed at the moment

well what-do-ya-know jus saw the stuff i got while browsing ebay!!- Fish Food

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not bad, I feed mine on a similar food aswell as flakes, live/frozen and freeze dried foods and sinking pellets and dry catfood. Why the catfood? Well it has more protien than common fish foods or so I was told by a Koi breeder. :)

I have dried foods for my tank but as i only have small rudd in there i might use the daphia and blood worm on a more worthy course!!

should beable to do the cat food thing as sometimes the cat leaves left overs whihc she wouldn't touch again!!

when the filters cleaned out in the summer they get a feast on all the worms in there!!

also get anything else thats going really!! old cheese, luncheon meat and maggots left over from fishing!!

any ideas of dimensions for a oval 2000G pond?

Roughly 16'6"x8'3"x2. But thats isn't oval, you would have to add or minus a few inches here and there to make it an oval shape.

paul_v_biker said:
cheers, better give the garden a meausre!!

when are you going to get some pics up then?
I am waiting until my pond is planted which will be in the next few weeks, then I will get some pics. At the moment its abit bare. :/

Most reactions

Back