My New Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
So I finally got my new 40 gallon tank set up. I have 5 swordtails, a chinese algae eater, a pleco, a clown loach and 2 fancy guppies. My swordtails are breeding so I am trying to give them a bigger home. I am currently cycling my tank. Even though I used media from my current tank, it is not depleting the ammonia within 24 hours, so I am currently doing a fishless cycle to get my tank ready for the fish. Hopefully I can move them soon. DSCN2260.JPG This is my new tank. I know it looks cloudy but the picture isn't the best. I had trouble getting a good picture. The water is actually really clear.

Looks nice,how come you went for a taller tank then a longer tank?
I looked at longer tanks, but I don't have space to accomadate a longer one. i prefer them but once we move and have more room, I will prolly get a bigger tank, only it will be long, rather than tall. I have small fish so the length of this particular tank won't be an issue, with the exception of the pleco and the chinese algaue eater.....maybe the loach. i will cross that bridge when it comes as all three of them are rather small right now.

Swordtails are great.
A word of warning on the Chinese Algae Eater, they turn into fish killers.
They are fine for a short time then they will turn to taking lumps/eyes out of your other fish.
The tank looks good, nice to see another fishless cycle. :good:

Swordtails are great.
A word of warning on the Chinese Algae Eater, they turn into fish killers.
They are fine for a short time then they will turn to taking lumps/eyes out of your other fish.
The tank looks good, nice to see another fishless cycle. :good:
Well I have had my fish for almost a year and they are doing great. The last thing I want is to kill them or stress them because I have grown attached. Plus one of the fish is still a baby (I thought I had all males per the petstore.....oops) So I don't think he is strong enough to handle a cycle with fish. I actually learned about fishless cycles on this forum. The petstore told me I couldn't cycle without fish. And I lost my sharks and gouramis when I got the tank :( I now know where to do research if I have questions. Thank you for the advice on the chinese algae eater. I will keep an eye out for signs of aggression and if that happens I will rehome him.

Yeah the CAE's can become very nasty indeed. I had one that was very nice, couldn't wish for a better member of the team... then he changed and was the biggest nastiest thing i had ever had. Also your clown loach should be in a group and they get will too big for your tank unfortunately.

Yeah the CAE's can become very nasty indeed. I had one that was very nice, couldn't wish for a better member of the team... then he changed and was the biggest nastiest thing i had ever had. Also your clown loach should be in a group and they get will too big for your tank unfortunately.
I do plan on getting a few more clown loaches. They are really small right now, only about and inch long. As they get bigger, we will expand the tank.

Most reactions

Back