My New Discus

ainsy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well my new discus were delivered just over a week ago and are now beginning to settle in a bit. I was a little worried at first - even though I know that they can take a while to feel at home. They wouldn't feed and were very skittish. So all of a sudden they must have become used to my water change & other routines. Have started feeding and something drastic must have changed as they have now started laying eggs! :eek:

I have 8 in total and they are a male & female (I hope!) of each type.

2 Ring Leopards
2 Pidgeon Bloods
2 Blue Turqs
2 Red Turqs

There is still a fair amount of trying to sort out the pecking order and who is going to be top dog (or fish as the case may be!)

P4110806.jpg

P4110790.jpg

P4110787.jpg

P4110785.jpg

Group shot (some in hiding after water change!)

P4090777.jpg

P4090767.jpg

P4090759.jpg

Peeky Boo!

P4090775.jpg

And finally some of the eggs! :hyper:

P4110794.jpg

P4110793.jpg

Sorry for the shoddy camera work - still trying to work out the settings!

wow they look fab and decent mature fish. I cant believe you got eggs in a week you must have spot on water conditions and happy fish :good:

Thanks!

You wouldn't believe what I have to go through to get that good quality water though!

My local supply comes from a small local reservoir which must have several rotting corpses in it judging by the TDS of the incoming! :sick:

Absolutely stunning fish, ainsy. Stunning. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Any way we can get a full tank shot?

L

As suspected most of the eggs have been munched!

Here are a couple of the full tank for LLJ

P4120812.jpg

P4120810.jpg

I'm not sure if it is a poor camera or poor photographer but I will keep experimenting until I can get some decent photos!

Amazing discus. keep up the good work, they look nice and healthy. :)

Oh I know the tank is big, but the discus are soooooooo big and beautiful that they actually make the tank look smaller than it is. I've never seen discus like that before. Wow!

Why are the neons so scared of the discus? Hehehe

You probably have to adjust the white balance on your camera. The sand is making it very over exposed. What camera are you using?

L

Yes I deliberately got nice big ones.

The neons are probably thinking that if they aren't careful they may end up as lunch! I am going to rehome them with the LFS before that happens.

Any camera tips are very welcome - it is an olympus 1060. Do I need to raise or lower the white balance?

wow I love the full tank shot Ainsey I really want discus again now

Looking good :hyper:

I'd love to have a discus tank but I don't have the room... or money :lol:

Well all the eggs were eaten for breakfast!

But.....

The two PB's seem to have paired up and have now laid eggs on the sponge filter that I only put in as a temporary extra to cope with the increased bioload!

P4170833.jpg

P4170831.jpg

P4170820.jpg

I am beginning to feel a little bit guilty that these guys keep doing the business and they will probably end up as food again. :blush:

Those are some great shots. Look at it this way, free food.

I don't feel bad when my Banded shrimp releases eggs. She feeds the tank.

Those discus are stunning. :drool:

L

Wow what beautiful discus!!!! Love the tank!! Jealous!

If you ever have babies I want some!!

Most reactions

Back