My New 8gal Nano

Good luck with that little maxxima Adam, they're tough to look after

Just looked through the whole trhead and that looks amazing mate

I hoping to leanr more about this an start my own up one day

Small clams are very difficult to care for because their vascular systems (which contain zooxanthellae) are not yet fully developed and as such baby clams are not very photosynthetic and usually require feedings of phyoplankton. Which in a nano-reef system can play havoc with the bio filter ;). Tricky business indeed. Usually when the clam reaches a shell length of 3-4 inches its more developed and can photosyntesize better.

Small clams are very difficult to care for because their vascular systems (which contain zooxanthellae) are not yet fully developed and as such baby clams are not very photosynthetic and usually require feedings of phyoplankton. Which in a nano-reef system can play havoc with the bio filter ;). Tricky business indeed. Usually when the clam reaches a shell length of 3-4 inches its more developed and can photosyntesize better.

Thanks for that ski! Didnt know about that! I'll get some phyto and see what happens to my water!

if worse comes to worse adam you coul;d always buy a cheap air pump driven skimmer. Might not be that effective but its still something and also wiht a system as small as yours any skjimmer of size would just take everything out of the water.

if worse comes to worse adam you coul;d always buy a cheap air pump driven skimmer. Might not be that effective but its still something and also wiht a system as small as yours any skjimmer of size would just take everything out of the water.

Good idea! Might look into that! Could just put it in when i'm not looking a tthe tank :p or over a weekend or somthin

I love this thread... your tank is really beautiful. Small but mighty! I've had freshwater for ages and am extremely tempted to go for a nano marine tank. It's just a case of finding a nook somewhere in the house to put one! Oh, and a load of research of course...
Keep up the good work and keep adding photos!

I love this thread... your tank is really beautiful. Small but mighty! I've had freshwater for ages and am extremely tempted to go for a nano marine tank. It's just a case of finding a nook somewhere in the house to put one! Oh, and a load of research of course...
Keep up the good work and keep adding photos!

Well alots happened in the past 10 days :(

The weekend before this one just gone i was away, i came back on the sundy night to find my Yasha goby gone and one of my plating SPS had died! Also the head of my trumpet coral had come off :(

Then a few days later my boxing shrimp decided to eat my yellow goby :(

Ive swapped my boxing shrimp for a cleaner shrimp now so theres no chance of it happening again!

already knew this but :( still! poor goby, u still thinking of getting another 1??! go green instead !!!

ps. that trigger i think i fnd out will get too big :(

Sorry to hear that Adam, SPS like a lot of flow and light, try and keep the rest higher up the rock stack closer to the powerhead.

Hows the clam getting on?

Andy

Its been a bad few weeks in my tank :( 3 out of 4 of my fish have died. I think they were eaten by somthin hiding in my tank :S

Heres some recent pics

DSC02859.jpg

DSC02843.jpg

DSC02842.jpg

DSC02841.jpg

DSC02839.jpg

DSC02824.jpg

DSC02822.jpg

DSC02807.jpg

DSC02786.jpg

DSC02778.jpg

DSC02757.jpg

DSC02753.jpg

DSC02746.jpg

DSC02742.jpg

sry bout the losses Adam, but at least everything else looks great :D

looks good as usual!! hopefully i can convince you theres some nice nano fish when you come down to the shop :p but d/w i wont sell you a coral banded shrimp!!!

Most reactions

Back