My New 70 Litre Set Up

NickBFC

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
[font="Arial""]Some of you may have seen my newbie questions thread on the forum recently. I have had a 28 litre tank for about 3 years now, but have gradually been getting more interested in the hobby recently. What tipped me over the edge was a friend's photo of her tank on facebook. So, as you do, I rushed out and bought a new 70 litre tank. I decided to swap from gravel to sand, and so far I am really glad I did. I just love the natural effect of the sand laying on the bog wood, and my fish seem to love it too. Now I just need to monitor levels before adding some new fish as I only have a single Cory, and a red tail Shark who'll sadly have to be rehomed soon to a bigger tank (newbies and some LFS’s don't mix!).[/font]

[font="Arial""] [/font]
[font="Arial""]I just need to think about a background, I love the rock effect but will probably go for a printed sheet rather than 3d. Anyway here are some pics, hope you like! Any ideas/comments welcome.[/font]

[font="Arial""] [/font]

[font="Arial""]
tank1.jpg
[/font]

[font="Arial""] [/font]

[font="Arial""]
tank3.jpg
[/font]

[font="Arial""] [/font]

[font="Arial""]
tank2.jpg
[/font]

[font="Arial""] [/font]

[font="Arial""]
tank4.jpg
[/font]

Pretty tank. That nana anubia will probably rot if its roots get covered by sand.

I got printed rock background for mine, but looks almost 3D....

Attachments

• IMG_0564a.jpg
    IMG_0564a.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 98
Thanks for the comments, will adjust the plants. Where did you get that background from please?

Thanks, I ordered one on ebay and fitted it today. Looks okay, but it does seem quite faint. Undecided if it’s staying yet but here are some new pics..

new3.jpg

new.jpg

[font="Calibri""]
bogwood2-1.jpg
[/font]

I like the background. I think it looks nice when its faint, sometimes backgrounds are too bold IMO, but I also like the plain black ones. I think the less amount of color from the background, the more your fishes color will stand out too, thats why ppl use black substrate and black backgrounds. less reflection i guess :) would suggest maybe a rock here and there, and maybe think about some sort of cave/hiding place for your cory, looks really good though I like the plants alot. nice driftwood too :good:

Thanks for your comments :) Agree about a rock of some sort, something grey in colour would look nice. I am trying to go for a natural look so I need to think carefully. Maybe in the middle somewhere slightly towards the back, can always tie down one of the moss balls to it as well :)

I bet that would look great, and I think your tank is very natural looking, which is not always easy to do.

Cheers, looking for some small bits of slate. Failing that I may use some pebbles, need to have a play :)

Your Anubias will be ok if the roots get covered but if the rhizome gets covered it will rot. :)

Looking good, but how did you attach the background? I first tried by using tape at the edges, and it was really faint, with poor 3D effect. Then I read on one of these forums about using a very thin smear of vegetable oil all over the back, then use a credit card to push out all the bubbles. It took almost an hour, but really made the background come to life!

Your Anubias will be ok if the roots get covered but if the rhizome gets covered it will rot.

Thanks, I was thinking of attaching the Anubia to bit of slate when I can find a suitable piece, seems to be healthy enough at the moment.

Looking good, but how did you attach the background? I first tried by using tape at the edges, and it was really faint, with poor 3D effect. Then I read on one of these forums about using a very thin smear of vegetable oil all over the back, then use a credit card to push out all the bubbles. It took almost an hour, but really made the background come to life!

I used tape, suspected that might not be helping. The problem I have is the tank is very close to wall so it’s going to be a real pig to try the olive oil method L

I read somewhere that scrubbing the back with a duster or sock first to get a bit of static cling (a duster on a stick might be helpful if its against the wall). I have to try this method though :/

It looks really lovely! :good:

Most reactions

Back