My Local Fish Shop Should Be Ashamed Of Themselves!

robinreliant23

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I'm beginning to see just how knowledgeable my LFS is .. or rather ISN'T!

They have a tankful of Cory Panda and a tank of unnamed Cories which are the same body color as the Panda but have a single black stripe along their back -- Cory Skunk right? They tell me they're Cory Panda :blink:

My favourite is this one ... now I'm not clued up on Cory but I am wanting to get some Sterbai and am pretty sure these are Sterbai yes? Trouble is LFS has them labelled up as Cory Concolor! :unsure:
cory.jpg

These ARE Sterbai right? Hope so as these are the ones I would like to get.

Great when your LFS whom you would like assume would be knowledgeable on their fish stock don't have a clue!!

They certianly do look like the 15 strebai cory's that I have cruising around in my tank :nod: , I would ask the LFS how they came by that name, was it what somebody else called them (eg. a home breeder) or was that the name of the stocklist?

Yep they're sterbai's :good:

Skunks have two stripes not one,so not them,could possibly be bandits...

well it seems a unison decision that the picture is sterbai! :good: when i go up on thursday i think i will question how they came about that name -- would be interesting to find out!

as for the other cories .. ah bandit cory. haven't heard of those so big oooooh ;)

thanks everyone :)

Bandit cory/Masked cory also known has C.metae

Heres mine,along with 3 panda babes of mine :)

:lol: thanks :good:

Yep i'm sure proud of my panda babes,theres 5 around this size and 12 smaller ones in the fry tank :)

Hi robinreliant23 :)

Let me help a bit with the identification by posting some of my pictures.

First, C. concolor looks nothing like a C. sterbai. This is the lovely C. concolor:

10-27-07 pic 1.jpg

This is a C. sterbai. Notice that it has a rounded nose.

C. Sterbai 2.jpg

This is a C. haraldschultzi, about the only fish from the lfs that you could mistake for a C. sterbai. It's not as often found for sale. Notice that it has a long nose and the colors (see its head) are reversed from that of the C. sterbai. It is also somewhat longer and not as high as the sterbai.

C. haraldschultzi 2.JPG

Hope this helps. :)

soooo well done on your fry!!!!! :hooray:

+1...they are stebai...one of the most beautiful and entertaining!!!!!!!!!

:cool:

Hi robinreliant23 :)

Let me help a bit with the identification by posting some of my pictures.

First, C. concolor looks nothing like a C. sterbai. This is the lovely C. concolor:

View attachment 64270

This is a C. sterbai. Notice that it has a rounded nose.

View attachment 64271

This is about the only fish that you could mistake for a C. sterbai. It's not as often found in lfs. Notice that it has a long nose and the colors (see its head) are reversed from that of the C. sterbai. It is also somewhat longer and not as high as the sterbai.

View attachment 64272

Hope this helps. :)

So what is the cory in the third photo?
huh.gif

Most reactions

Back