My Lights Have Gone Off

how old is it? T5 or T8? and is their a red or blue sticker on the under side of the unit?

DO NOT open the unit up if its in warranty (24 months)

If it was the fuse then no current would be making it to the lighting unit to come on and go off again.

Does simply sound like the starter to me - basically they are a discharge capaciter that store up a larger amount of current to help the unit get started when you first flick the switch, after which the lower normal current is enough to keep them going. When they get older they dont store enough current and so the lamp tries to start but cannot manage to get it up. This is no different to the lights used in almost all classrooms/offices etc. that start to flash or flicker as the starters age. The starters are under a quid in most DIY shops.

If this doesnt work then it could well be the bulb - I think these are supposed to replaced after 12 months or so anyway.

how old is it? T5 or T8? and is their a red or blue sticker on the under side of the unit?

DO NOT open the unit up if its in warranty (24 months)

Its over 24 months old. I've got it on long term loan from my uncle about 2 years ago (actually giving him all of the money for the tank when I sell it - hence holding out for a decent price)

The bulbs are the 3cm diameter ones - not the thinner type that seem to be in newer Juwel tanks.

If it was the fuse then no current would be making it to the lighting unit to come on and go off again.

Does simply sound like the starter to me - basically they are a discharge capaciter that store up a larger amount of current to help the unit get started when you first flick the switch, after which the lower normal current is enough to keep them going. When they get older they dont store enough current and so the lamp tries to start but cannot manage to get it up. This is no different to the lights used in almost all classrooms/offices etc. that start to flash or flicker as the starters age. The starters are under a quid in most DIY shops.

If this doesnt work then it could well be the bulb - I think these are supposed to replaced after 12 months or so anyway.

Was hoping someone would suggest the starter. Didn't get round to sorting it today - got a whack playing footy and had been off my feet all day.

Well, all fixed.

It was a bulb - after all that, a bulb!

oooooopppppss :lol:

LOL, good job you never opened it up. When mentioned opening it up, I thought you'd already checked the bulbs!!!! Imagine that, if you would have opened it up, changed the ballast, and it's still flickering!!

Glad it's sorted for you.

Well, all fixed.

It was a bulb - after all that, a bulb!

oooooopppppss :lol:

LOL, good job you never opened it up. When mentioned opening it up, I thought you'd already checked the bulbs!!!! Imagine that, if you would have opened it up, changed the ballast, and it's still flickering!!

Glad it's sorted for you.

Like I was saying above, there's really no easy way to determine it was the bulb. If one goes, the whole circuit breaks down, so could have been either builb, both or neither!

Thankfully, I spotted a flaw in the bulb when it tried to light up - but it only tried to light up if it was totally cold, and it had been a few hours since it was last tried.

Most reactions

Back