Having a bit of trouble...

I am in the states so I can get many meds folks in the UK cannot. Moreover, I can get many of the meds in their dry form. I have both Levamisole HCL and Flubendazole. I am a big fan of the latter for a lot of internal parasites as the med is not only effective but is absorbded via the skin and gills of fish. Some meds need to be fed to be most effective.

That said my med kit contains both of the above as well as Metronidazole and Praziquantel. Years back a serious cocktail of infections hit me and I spent 3 days and 2 nights in the hospital on a triple cocktail of IV antibiotics one of which was Metronidazole.

However, based on the report of the fish seeming to have improved their behavior, it would seem you used an effective med. Mbuna can be pretty aggressive and it may be that the ones who got sick first were made worse because they got picked on but those not yet affected?

Also, have a read here it may help for the future or now if the problem recurs soon. https://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleArticle.pdf

Couple of steps backwards now... fish quite skittish today and I lost a Rusty Cichlid sometime between 3pm and 6pm, they were not one of the fish I was worried about. From the body they looked quite beaten up especially for something in that time period?

@Essjay with the medications that Colin and a few others have mentioned do we have any options in the UK?

After the first dose of the Esha de-wormer I'm not sure if thats the best course again?

Wills

One thing to perhaps mention - I don't think I've lost any dominant fish which is interesting?

@Essjay with the medications that Colin and a few others have mentioned do we have any options in the UK?

The medications mentioned so far in this thread -
levamisole - that's for treating round worms and is in eSHa-ndx which you have already used.
flubendazole - for treating both round worms, flat worms and flukes. That's in a few things. Powder form in Kusuri Wormer Plus; liquid form in NT Labs Anti Fluke and Wormer and Maidenhead Aquatics' AquaCare Anti Fluke and Wormer (probably the same product as MA won't make their own). [I know you don't have any but all those flubendazole products say they will kill invertebrates]
Metronidazole - antibiotic/anti internal protozoans, prescription only.
Praziquantel - treats flukes and flat worms - eSHa gdex

All antibiotics are prescription only; we have anti bacterials such as eSHa 2000 and Waterlife Myxazin but they are not as effective and their websites list only external conditions.

You can't completely drop the idea of aggression with mbuna. I used to breed buckets of rustys - and wouldn't keep them with any mbuna other than than yellow labs. They are the gentlest of the fish from that lake, and they get beaten up by the nasties. I had started with a mix of species, including groups of socolofi and a Metriaclima species, and the Metriaclima killed the socolofi and terrorized the rustys.

I ended up with a second mbuna tank, and in time, only kept the yellow labs and rustys for a few years. I am way out of the loop on East African Cichlids, though I thank them for getting me into Cichlids in the first place. I see that there is almost no discussion of mbuna here - your fish are as unpopular as mine! But looking at photos of your Metriaclima, I'm thinking he's in a weight class far above his tankmates.

When you were first looking at exploring mbuna, I thought again about the fantastic colours versus disturbing aggression issues. To be the devil's advocate - could it be as simple as an amped up male Metriaclima going after blue coloured socolofi, and killing rustys and subordinates from his own species, because he can?

The medications mentioned so far in this thread -
levamisole - that's for treating round worms and is in eSHa-ndx which you have already used.
flubendazole - for treating both round worms, flat worms and flukes. That's in a few things. Powder form in Kusuri Wormer Plus; liquid form in NT Labs Anti Fluke and Wormer and Maidenhead Aquatics' AquaCare Anti Fluke and Wormer (probably the same product as MA won't make their own). [I know you don't have any but all those flubendazole products say they will kill invertebrates]
Metronidazole - antibiotic/anti internal protozoans, prescription only.
Praziquantel - treats flukes and flat worms - eSHa gdex

All antibiotics are prescription only; we have anti bacterials such as eSHa 2000 and Waterlife Myxazin but they are not as effective and their websites list only external conditions.
Awesome thankyou!

I think the NT Labs Anti Fluke and Wormer might be a good option? I don't think there is a full dose left so need to buy something else anyway.

If this doesn't work do you think its worth trying eSHa 2000 or Myxazin? I know from past experiences getting vets to take aquariums seriously near me is for the birds...

You can't completely drop the idea of aggression with mbuna. I used to breed buckets of rustys - and wouldn't keep them with any mbuna other than than yellow labs. They are the gentlest of the fish from that lake, and they get beaten up by the nasties. I had started with a mix of species, including groups of socolofi and a Metriaclima species, and the Metriaclima killed the socolofi and terrorized the rustys.

I ended up with a second mbuna tank, and in time, only kept the yellow labs and rustys for a few years. I am way out of the loop on East African Cichlids, though I thank them for getting me into Cichlids in the first place. I see that there is almost no discussion of mbuna here - your fish are as unpopular as mine! But looking at photos of your Metriaclima, I'm thinking he's in a weight class far above his tankmates.

When you were first looking at exploring mbuna, I thought again about the fantastic colours versus disturbing aggression issues. To be the devil's advocate - could it be as simple as an amped up male Metriaclima going after blue coloured socolofi, and killing rustys and subordinates from his own species, because he can?
Its definitely a learning curve for me very new to it! Aggression really could be the issue but I don't understand why I'd have one fish bloated with stringy poop as a result (sub dom male Metriaclima) and then 3 small (potentially skinny....) others 2 Socolofi and a Rusty. Plus all of the skittish behaviour which still has not corrected itself. I do watch these fish a lot as well and I've just not seen that kind of behaviour - the tank is at the end of our dining table and I have a chair from our sitting room that I can watch them from a distance in while watching TV but I realise that once the lights go out it could change or if its just one choice movement it would make a difference. I'm not 100% there isnt some kind of disease or parasite from what I've seen but will have to see.

If the lesson is that my mix is destined for disaster then I'll make some choices... most likely is a Msobo Magunga species tank but I would consider a 'calmer' mix like you say Rusties and Yellow Labs are obvious choices and maybe an Acei species and maybe swap the yellow labs for white labs so I can get Socolofi as a 4th species.

Bit of a development - I was working very late last night and got home about 1:30am and the tank lights were still on! They should have gone off at 10:30pm (I only have them on for 2hrs in a morning and 5hrs on an evening).

I've not had chance to check this morning yet but I think I have pressed the manual button by accident and I've left them on since the clocks went back! I imagine that would stress the fish somewhat 24/7 lighting!

Oops! Hopefully things will improve now that you've spotted the lights, I've done that a few times 😬 have you noticed any changes in their behaviour since treatment?

They've not really calmed down since the medicine went in - I've done a couple of water changes (big ones too) since.

Going to try and give them some attention tonight too - one thing thats niggling me is that I half rushed the nitrate test so questioning if I've not got a true result but we will see.

Wills

This thread is reminding me of my years of mbuna trauma. They can be such beautiful fish, but they are also like competing street gangs.

This thread is reminding me of my years of mbuna trauma. They can be such beautiful fish, but they are also like competing street gangs.
One of the reasons I never went Mbuna. You get nicer colours from peacock cichlids and nowhere near the agro :)

You would think because Mbuna are vegetarian fish they would be pleasant but nope, crazy asss vegeheads that kill everything :)

I have to admit that I've been questioning my second Malawi tank that is currently cycling... that is meant for Peacocks but it has made me wonder about going single specimen central american cichlid (nics) and some livebearers...

Rainbows....:whistle:

Most reactions

Back