My journal to the central of sarawak,Borneo.

kuching said:
wuvmybetta said:
kuching said:
Where did u get the Kapuas betta? Which species?  :thumbs:
Not sure which species. Maybe you can identify them in the pics. I bought them from seller on Aquabid who focuses on wild type betta. Macrostoma go for $200-300 around here :eek: No wonder they're so expensive! They're oh so allusive :p
Yes,its an expensive fish....but they are not available in our local fish shop because all of them export to overseas to earn foreign currency.....so until now I haven't seen it in my place even it can be found in northern Sarawak state of East Malaysia.

Yes,post ur wild betta pix,see i can id the fish or not.
Here's the male :)
post-5-1097995917.jpg

(his cheeks are much puffier right now since he's still holding :hyper: )

Beats me. I didn't ask any questions. I can email him though. :nod: I bought them from a man in the states,so I'm sure they exchanged a few hands on their way here.

wuvmybetta said:
kuching said:
wuvmybetta said:
kuching said:
Where did u get the Kapuas betta? Which species?  :thumbs:
Not sure which species. Maybe you can identify them in the pics. I bought them from seller on Aquabid who focuses on wild type betta. Macrostoma go for $200-300 around here :eek: No wonder they're so expensive! They're oh so allusive :p
Yes,its an expensive fish....but they are not available in our local fish shop because all of them export to overseas to earn foreign currency.....so until now I haven't seen it in my place even it can be found in northern Sarawak state of East Malaysia.

Yes,post ur wild betta pix,see i can id the fish or not.
Here's the male :)
post-5-1097995917.jpg

(his cheeks are much puffier right now since he's still holding :hyper: )
ok,got the id.This betta is undescribed species....so people called it Betta sp. "kapuas".

Just wondering, can you find wild bettas in west malaysia, like around Pulau Pinang?? :unsure: Or do they only stick to East MY like Sarawak?? (I went to Sarawak and Kuching on a class trip and I loved it!! The Orangutang place was cool!) You're lucky to live in such a great place! :nod:

turbotiber said:
Just wondering, can you find wild bettas in west malaysia, like around Pulau Pinang?? :unsure: Or do they only stick to East MY like Sarawak?? (I went to Sarawak and Kuching on a class trip and I loved it!! The Orangutang place was cool!) You're lucky to live in such a great place! :nod:
Yes,you can find Betta pugnax in Pulau Pinang of west Malaysia. Even you go to Thailand,Cambodia & laos,u still can find wild betta...but their species are not the same as those in Borneo.Borneo is the center of biodiversity for wild Betta. Through out the South east Asia, Borneo is the only place on earth can find so many species of Betta.....I strongly believe still got new species of Betta out there waiting for people to discover !!! :)

kuching said:
turbotiber said:
Yes,you can find Betta pugnax in Pulau Pinang of west Malaysia. Even you go to Thailand,Cambodia & laos,u still can find wild betta...but their species are not the same as those in Borneo.Borneo is the center of biodiversity for wild Betta. Through out the South east Asia, Borneo is the only place on earth can find so many species of Betta.....I strongly believe still got new species of Betta out there waiting for people to discover !!! :)
Yeay! I"m going to try my luck and see if I can find something :) I know thre's like a stream nearby where my parents live so I'll have to check it out there, thanks!!

turbotiber said:
kuching said:
turbotiber said:
Just wondering, can you find wild bettas in west malaysia, like around Pulau Pinang??  :unsure:  Or do they only stick to East MY like Sarawak??  (I went to Sarawak and Kuching on a class trip and I loved it!!  The Orangutang place was cool!)  You're lucky to live in such a great place!  :nod:
Yeay! I"m going to try my luck and see if I can find something :) I know thre's like a stream nearby where my parents live so I'll have to check it out there, thanks!!
U r from west Malaysia? :)

WOW Your So Lucky to be where you Are.

Next Time I am Back Home in the Punjab. I am Def Gonna research the native Fish and see waht i Can Catch in the Streams around the Estate.

Most reactions

Back