My Guppie Had 13 Fry!

PoPoV

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Is it normal for a fish to have this many fry? Also how long will it take for the females to have another group of fry? This is my first shot at breeding guppies, and apperantly its been a BIG success. How long should I keep them in the breeding cage? Thanks for the feed back!

-PoPoV

Guppies will generally breed over and over and over etc...and I would say that lot of fry is small compared to some "batches" of fry

"Guppies will generally breed over and over and over etc...and I would say that lot of fry is small compared to some "batches" of fry"

Totally agree... i have 2 batches of fry....i'm happy but it's driving me nuts....they're everywhere...think i'll give them away...

Man Guppies breed like crazy,you will have a whole bunch (doesn't take long) My dad-he keeps them all together, in 55 gallon tank,doesn't do anything and they just keep coming....Have fun..

hi,
my daughters guppy had 20,
the older the female the more fry she can have. they only need to mate once and then they store sperm for up to 7 months. the mum can then have fry every 4 weeks untill the sperm runs out.

One of our guppys had 41 fry the first time. The 2nd time ( 3WEEKS LATER!!) she had 15 I think. They do breed very easily and they tend to still have a gravid spot. Our other guppy gave birth to about 30, still has gravid spot and her belly is growing, but at least we have an idea of when she is due again and the signs to look for.
As for how ong to keep them seperate. I have read many bits of info and it's seems to be when they are at least 1 inch long and can't fit in the big fish mouths. We tried one of our babies, she was big enough to go in the tank but the other fish chased her so we removed her straight away. They didn't catch her so no damage was done and she is still happily swimming around with her friends her own size. There's no rush. We have a seperate tank for the fry and they seem very happy.

Guppies have a gestation period of adound 28 days depending on the temperature. at 78oF it around 28 day's.

The lower the temp the longer it takes.

The average brood it usualy 10-20 babies but 30+ is commen.
The largest brood I've heard of was around 70 fry from one fish. This was from a well respected fish collector called Ivan Dibbel about 10 years ago.

Helter

Most reactions

Back