My Fluval Filter-- I musta done something wrong!

Maroonostrich

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought a fluval 2 I think-- if that's sensible-- last Sunday. The fish had been filtration deprived for a day so I put it into the tank as quickly as I could.

I didn't understand the instructions so I knocked it together as best I could. There was a black cog thing with a grey bit on top that I thought was supposed to slot into the blue nozzle attachment, but it doesn't fit, it just sits there and wobbles and falls out if you move the filter- so I may not have got that right.

The filter, though still running, has begun to produce froth of some kind- the water looks cloudier than usual- and even the little neons are panting at the surface. Did a partial water change last night and doing one again today. A lot of this could be bacterial die off from the filter collapsing at the weekend.

All the sponges from the old filter were left where they were and the new filter contains some of this old media I sandwiched between the two pads in the fluval.

I don't have water stats as I don't keep a kit- if I need testing done I travel to the LFS but I believe it's pretty obvious that either this is a problem from the old filter packing up or it's more a problem with the way I have set up my new filter- my water quality has suffered thus.

Which do you think it is folks?

if i have got this right, the black cog thing is supposed to go inside the filter, take the casing of the holds the media then look at the head of the filter where the wire goes, it should have a little 'wheel' there think its blue.
is that the 1 you mean ???
if its not that then pls just ignore my ramblings lol

If its a fluval +2, its the air inlet valve you're talking about. It plugs in vertically on the top of the outlet nozzle (thin end first) and its a water tight fit. The grey cog is the air valve for adjusting the air/water mixture for the filter (works like a screw and will allow more/less air to the filter flow). The grey cog and black fitting must be slightly above the water surface if you want air in the filter outlet.

yeah i just realised that as well. god i'm scary sometimes 'thinks to self to be quiet' lol.

They aren't great fits those wee things. They are for like the other guy said, altering the air mixture in the water.

As the water rushes through the blue tube (outlet) it siucks in air from the grey bit causing bubbleas to mix with the water. You can alter this by screw it down tight (no bubbles) or losening it (loadsa bubbles).

If your tank has lost some of the beneficial bacteria try adding some stress zyme to boost it slightly.

Hmmm, thanks folks, I reckon you all have the right bit- got the blue bit that plugged into the other blue bit and then the 'cog' was on top, and above water level.

Could I have the wrong cog?! It won't fit in properly- last night removed it and cleaned away the foam around it then replaced it, but the fish kept on gasping. I took it out altogether an hour later. The filters a lot noisier and kept me awake most of the night, but the air flow is stronger and the fish are not panting but they are being buffetted about at certain places in the tank.

The cog just sat and rattled in the hole. Should it fit solidly instead?

mine fits solidly in the outlet bit.

Am I right in thinking that there is also a bung loosely connected to the water outlet? And you have a choice of either putting the bung in to the top the filter outlet to mix air with the water or your cog bit in to limit the air?

Have you got a seperate air pump? If you have I would probably put the bung into the outlet as you would no longer need it.

Just my 2p!

Chris

Maroonostrich said:
All the sponges from the old filter were left where they were
[snapback]906802[/snapback]​

You mean that they're still in the old non-working filter in your tank?

If this is the case that it is possibly what is poisoning your tank.
Without oxygenated water flowing through the bacteria will die off and add to the ammonia & nitrIte load as anaerobic bacteria take hold.

Most reactions

Back