My fish may have dropsy ! Help

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SushiRollsAquabuds

Reaction score
Good evening,

recently I have noticed a change in my betta i will describe how he's been acting.
-Normally when I go up to my betta, he swims up to the front of the glass to see me although he hasn’t done that often.
-I notice that he stays at the bottom of the tank more often, At some points he scares me because he stops moving and starts to flip towards his side, but then he starts swimming after a few seconds.
- I have noticed a Change in my fishes appearance too , while taking a loot at him, his “chest” area ( under his head ) looks round.

please if you guys know any treatments put them in the comments below , I am currently re-making his tank which is being cycled right now. I put him in a temporary place for now while that’s being done with, thank you. I’ll show some pictures below, it is so hard for me to catch a good quality picture of the area but I hope my description is enough. I’m willing to help him.

Attachments

• IMG_5764.jpeg
    IMG_5764.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5763.jpeg
    IMG_5763.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 25
Hello. Here's what I've seen in fish that have Dropsy. Dropsy is supposedly a bacterial infection caused by poor water conditions. I disagree. Dropsy can infect fish in pure water conditions too. The survival rate is extremely low, possibly one or even two in a dozen that are infected. I would feed nothing but small bits of Spirulina daily. This will boost the immune system. Increase the amount of water you change and do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material to remove any more waste material. That's all I can tell you. Sadly, once you notice the "pinecone" look, with the scales sticking out, it's really too late.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I see no signs of dropsy, which is a sign of kidney failure in fish. The pineconing and swelling are a breakdown of a fishes' ability to regulated the balance of water inside and outside, and as @10 Tanks wrote, survival rates are close to zero.

It can be caused by poor water conditions leading to infections, badly chosen food (too low roughage for herbivores or insectivores, who need fibre), internal growths, or just bad kidneys.

Your guy may be sick, but he looks fine to me. Maybe constipated - get some some food with fibre and he may rally. It's hard to tell from a photo.

I see no signs of dropsy, which is a sign of kidney failure in fish. The pineconing and swelling are a breakdown of a fishes' ability to regulated the balance of water inside and outside, and as @10 Tanks wrote, survival rates are close to zero.

It can be caused by poor water conditions leading to infections, badly chosen food (too low roughage for herbivores or insectivores, who need fibre), internal growths, or just bad kidneys.

Your guy may be sick, but he looks fine to me. Maybe constipated - get some some food with fibre and he may rally. It's hard to tell from a photo.
Okay, thank you for clarifying I’ll be keeping a close eye on this lil guy and taking care of him. :).

Can you post a video of the fish flipping on its side?
Upload video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally (landscape mode) so the footage fills the entire screen and doesn't have black bars on either side.

Is the fish still eating?
If yes, then it doesn't have dropsy.

What does the fish's poop look like?
If it's colour (black, brown, green) it's normal. If it's white and stringy, then it's a problem.

Can you post a video of the fish flipping on its side?
Upload video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally (landscape mode) so the footage fills the entire screen and doesn't have black bars on either side.

Is the fish still eating?
If yes, then it doesn't have dropsy.

What does the fish's poop look like?
If it's colour (black, brown, green) it's normal. If it's white and stringy, then it's a problem.
fish is eating just fine , poop color is brown and I do not have a video of it but he doesn’t do it anymore , I just got nervous for him

If it's eating well and has coloured poop (not white), then it doesn't have an internal problem. Fish with dropsy and other intestinal/ internal problems will stop eating. And in the case of intestinal problems, do a stringy white poop.

Monitor the fish and if it flips over again, film it for us.

Most reactions

Back