My First Casualty :(

fishypps

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
6 months into the hobby and i have had my first casualty :( I'm gutted :( lol It was a male guppy (which i don't actually like but still) I had 4 in the tank, now down to 3, he always looked kinda "runt"-ish, smaller, duller colours, seemed to get chased by the others but i came home today and he was dead. I'm uber worried that it's the tank which is packing in and that the fish won't last till saturday when we get the new tank.. HELP...:( lol. My guppies have VERY ragged tails, they have done since i bought them and haven't gotten worse... is this normal?

When i get the new tank, will i need to cycle it? It is 2nd hand and is only being emptied on the morning that i go to collect it so the filter media will still be fine, i can syphon the water from old tank to new, add tap safe stuff and refill the tank with tap water and then it will only be like doing a big water change, won't it?? :crazy:

6 months into the hobby and i have had my first casualty :( I'm gutted :( lol It was a male guppy (which i don't actually like but still) I had 4 in the tank, now down to 3, he always looked kinda "runt"-ish, smaller, duller colours, seemed to get chased by the others but i came home today and he was dead. I'm uber worried that it's the tank which is packing in and that the fish won't last till saturday when we get the new tank.. HELP...:( lol. My guppies have VERY ragged tails, they have done since i bought them and haven't gotten worse... is this normal?

When i get the new tank, will i need to cycle it? It is 2nd hand and is only being emptied on the morning that i go to collect it so the filter media will still be fine, i can syphon the water from old tank to new, add tap safe stuff and refill the tank with tap water and then it will only be like doing a big water change, won't it?? :crazy:
You will need to keep the filter media of the new tank wet, preferably with the water from that tank (so long as that filter is cycled) I'm guessing your new tank will be bigger!

You will need to keep the filter media of the new tank wet, preferably with the water from that tank (so long as that filter is cycled) I'm guessing your new tank will be bigger!

Using the water from a cycled tank wont do anything.

In order to seed a tank you will need to get some gravel and/or the ornaments and other things from an established tank to put in the new one.

You can also go as far as taking the actual filter from the established tank to use in the new tank for about 3 days it should cycle the tank. I did this twice (i put the new filter on the established tank as the bacteria is in the tank as well).

Ok it will only be out of water for approx an hour so will stay "wet", the tank is well established at the moment and comes with fish that have already been inhabiting it! lol. Yes, upgrading from a tiny tank to an reasonable 120l (ish) one :)

Ok it will only be out of water for approx an hour so will stay "wet", the tank is well established at the moment and comes with fish that have already been inhabiting it! lol. Yes, upgrading from a tiny tank to an reasonable 120l (ish) one :)

Why would it be out of water for an hour? If possible try and keep it in conditioned or tank water. Make sure not to use chlorine.

Termato, the tank will come with everything, gravel, plants, filter etc etc so i will be literally refilling it with water and putting the fish in... sounds like i might be ok? I wouldnt want to keep the fish in their current tank for very long, besides, the fish that are in the new tank won't fit in the old one :)

It will be out of water for an hour because it's almost 20 miles away, we're collecting it on saturday morning. Will have to work out some way keep the filter media wet then. Will most definately not use chlorinated water, we will condition the water and use my previous tanks water to fill the tank.

p.s. the filter from the current tank is inbuilt so i can't use it for the new tank. Think i'm just going to have to risk it for a biscuit and hope it all goes well :\

dont forget to take something to put the gravel in, dont leave it in the bottom of the tank because when you lift it the base might crack, wet gravel is very heavy, i made that mistake when collecting a 2nd hand tank :rolleyes:

OOH i will take a bucket... thank you!! lol :)

... or maybe an ikea bag!

Most reactions

Back