My Fat Guppies

bally

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have 4 female guppies and one male,they all look huge and seem to act strange. I take the fattest one out put her in a breeding tank for a few days and nothing, i do this with the other 3 and nothing. Last week i found a few fry living around the filter,these are quite large so think they may have been in the tank maybe another week before i spotted them. Thing is all the females still look big and fat ready to burst,none look like they have given birth, but have looked this way for about 4 weeks now.

So my question is, why are they hanging on? These last few days ive had problems with the tank (see another thread) but thought they would have give birth by now.Is there a way to help them along?

thanks in advance

not really, they'l drop when they are ready but putting them in a breeding trap for 3 days will not do them any favours - no more than 24 hours in these things and have the light turned off and a small plant stem. As well as been pregnant you could be over feeding which will give the effect of overly pregnant fish. Any chance of pics?

As above, need to see pics..

I only leave my fish in traps for 48 hours max, if no drop, i release them and keep a eye on them.

heres the best pics i can get

Attachments

• 09102008085.jpg
    09102008085.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 09102008091.jpg
    09102008091.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 22
Id trap them, leave them in for 2 nights, if no sign of dropping after this, take them out and keep a close eye on them..

Read my pinned thread to see other things to look out for like behaviour etc.

Good luck

I only leave my fish in traps for 48 hours max, if no drop, i release them and keep a eye on them.

This is a great point, i have lost my platies fry all 6 of them due to her being left in the trap for 1 week, she droped them dead :(

good luck to you and your fish.

Most reactions

Back