My Corys Hate Me

love_fish

Fish Addict
Reaction score
IDk why, but they do. Everytime i walk up to the tank (they'll be in the front or something), they'll just shoot to the back, hitting into the glass and such. Water is good, clean, and all that good stuff, but i just dont understand why they hate me. Any clue :/

IDk why, but they do. Everytime i walk up to the tank (they'll be in the front or something), they'll just shoot to the back, hitting into the glass and such. Water is good, clean, and all that good stuff, but i just dont understand why they hate me. Any clue :/

Most likely the cories you have were wild caught and they are definately more skiddish. My Juliis are wild caught and they go crazy like yours when I walk into the room. My other cories, which I suspect to be tank bred, are not skiddish at all.

Rez B)

Mine were the same when I first got them 10 months ago. They got a bit more confident after their first spawning, and a lot more confident after I put some juvenile livebearers in with them this winter. These seem to act as dither fish ("if those little ones can be out, it can't be dangerous for us big ones"). Now I get to see my cories in the daytime and have even been able to photograph them.

While they were still skittish, I just decided to try to enjoy them on their own terms. So I would creep up on them very quietly first thing in the morning, or after lights out and sit very still watching them from a slightly hidden position, as if I was birdwatching. But I also spent time around the tank in the daytime (so they got used to me); I just decided I wasn't going to get disappointed if they hid.

For one thing I don't think cories have very good eyesight, and they live at the bottom of waters which may have limited visibility. So they are clearly geared towards seeing any sudden movement/shadow as a predator. Not like livebearers, which have excellent eyesight and quickly learn to recognise the provider of nourishing snacks.

It is very likely that your cories will get used to you eventually and be more outgoing. In the meantime, a couple of things might help. Have they got plenty of hiding places? Caves, thickets, bogwood whatever. This will make nervous fish more confident. And are they in a group of at least 3-4?

Yea, i now have 7 cories. 5 Bronze and 2 Trillineatus. There's 2 coconut shell caves they like to hide in a lot, and its moderatly planted to provide cover.

Hi love_fish :)

It's unusual for bronze corys to be that timid. They are just about all tank or farm raised these days.

Is it possible that you startle them by moving to quickly or vibrating the floor with heavy footsteps? :unsure:

I dont think its that inchworm. I'm only 101 lbs, and its a carpet floor, so pretty much no vibration.

Although, they do eat right in front of me if i give them algea wafers. If the wafer is in the front, they'll come out and eat in front of me.

Maybe ill just wait this out? Or will they always be like this.

Hi love_fish :)

It's unusual for bronze corys to be that timid. They are just about all tank or farm raised these days.

Is it possible that you startle them by moving to quickly or vibrating the floor with heavy footsteps? :unsure:

I have to say my peppereds (though no doubt equally tankraised) where just as timid for the first 4 or 5 months. They got better after they reached maturity and started spawning, and better still when I put some dither fish in. (Now they are totally unfazed and will feed happily with a camera pointed at them).

They seemed to react mainly to the shadow of someone moving in the room (again I'm not very heavy and there's a carpet on the floor); I noticed that if I kept sidling out of the light, they were less skittish.

You'd be suprised how easily they can detect even small vibrations. My cories live upstairs and always know when I'm coming. Happily they are used to me and since they moved into the bigger tank with a larger group and others that are used to myself and the kids hammering the stairs they've become accepting of it. :) Actually the younger Juliis spend a fair amount of time with my peach spot plec who usually sleeps and spends his time up my end of the tank. By that I mean the end that is next to my bed and where myself and cats tend to watch from. It's generally a low traffic area and mostly quiet. They weren't so keen having a tank in a high traffic area as they did before. Plenty of hiding spots are essential and confident, calm tankmates too. Mine live with Petricolas who are out day and night and my lady bettas who are very friendly types.
Hope they settle down soon for you.
Hugs,
P.

Thanks, i might even by another cory to make it 8 next week.

Hopefully they do settle down though, i like them so much and its no fun if i cant watch them.

Most reactions

Back