My beautiful Betta

The tank looks lovely and you're doing a great job. The fish will be appreciating the effort you've made to their home ? I think Sgooosh was offering advice based on wild habitats rather than aquariums. Naturally you won't have water as acidic as found in the wild, but your PH is neutral for an aquarium which isn't a problem. Your general hardness can dictate whether your fish are thriving, which is why I requested it to insure that your set up runs smoothly.

It was just a simple mix up ?
thanks for understanding. but i still believe livebearers are mostly raised in 7.5+ ph tanks, and 200+ hardness.
7.4 should be just fine if all are local fish :)

thanks for understanding. but i still believe livebearers are mostly raised in 7.5+ ph tanks, and 200+ hardness.
7.4 should be just fine if all are local fish :)
Chasing pH can be far more risky to fish than keeping them in the "wrong" pH. Fluctuating pH and swings in pH kill fish, and fluctuations happen a lot when people add chemicals to try to change a perfectly acceptable pH to make it 'ideal', especially when you don't know the GH or KH of the water, since a low KH plus chemicals added to change the pH could lead to wild swings in pH and a dead tank.

I suggest this video

In brief though, stable is more important than perfect.

Also, OP was wanting to share a positive part of their hobby, and leaping on them telling them they need another tank and to change this and that, too much too soon, can feel very critical and overwhelming. Suggestions are good, pointing out a potential problem is often needed, but demanding perfection (especially in something like pH) is scary and off-putting for a lot of people.

Chasing pH can be far more risky to fish than keeping them in the "wrong" pH. Fluctuating pH and swings in pH kill fish, and fluctuations happen a lot when people add chemicals to try to change a perfectly acceptable pH to make it 'ideal', especially when you don't know the GH or KH of the water, since a low KH plus chemicals added to change the pH could lead to wild swings in pH and a dead tank.

I suggest this video

In brief though, stable is more important than perfect.

Also, OP was wanting to share a positive part of their hobby, and leaping on them telling them they need another tank and to change this and that, too much too soon, can feel very critical and overwhelming. Suggestions are good, pointing out a potential problem is often needed, but demanding perfection (especially in something like pH) is scary and off-putting for a lot of people.
:)

Errr.... what’s an OP?
Is this something else I should worry about?
Sorry, OP = Original Poster, I was too lazy to scan back to find your screen name to tag you :blush:

A forum term, not a fish keeping term or new weird water parameter to worry about :D

It can be really overwhelming when you're new to the hobby, it's a super steep learning curve, but you're doing fine, really! Deep breaths, your tank is beautiful,and the fish look great :)

Sorry, OP = Original Poster, I was too lazy to scan back to find your screen name to tag you :blush:

A forum term, not a fish keeping term or new weird water parameter to worry about :D

It can be really overwhelming when you're new to the hobby, it's a super steep learning curve, but you're doing fine, really! Deep breaths, your tank is beautiful,and the fish look great :)
a lot of people have different opinions, just don't get too stressed over something unless both sides agree on something.

Thank you! I thought it might mean something awful for not having a perfect tank.....:thanks:
no, your tank is beautiful in many ways. something can never be perfect for a lot of people, if it is perfect for you it is good :)

Thank you! I thought it might mean something awful for not having a perfect tank.....:thanks:

Truly sorry!
Nope, not critical at all! I was trying to make you feel better, not send you into a panic... :blush: My bad.

Does your betta have a name? Such an intense blue, if I get a betta, I want one like that. I love the blues in fish, always drawn to the blues.

This is my ‘work in progress’ tank - I’ve never had a planted tank before and it’s a steep learning curve! It has the usual small fish - neon tetras, ember tetras and a couple of (formerly homeless) female Endlers - and the star turn is my beautiful male Betta called ‘Sundance’.
(The tiny shrimp in the earlier thread is in a place of safely in a different tank!))

Truly sorry!
Nope, not critical at all! I was trying to make you feel better, not send you into a panic... :blush: My bad.

Does your betta have a name? Such an intense blue, if I get a betta, I want one like that. I love the blues in fish, always drawn to the blues.
sundance, as op said

AdoraBelle -
So - the future of my tank is (as somebody says) the mollusc of my choice!
And I’m still hoping to find you one of those lovely blue turtles when the post office shop opens next week....

AdoraBelle -
And I’m still hoping to find you one of those lovely blue turtles when the post office shop opens next week....
if the tank size is good, and all things are under control, it should be fine!

AdoraBelle -
And I’m still hoping to find you one of those lovely blue turtles when the post office shop opens next week
Millennium hand and shrimp!

Haha, much as I love the turtle, that thing looks heavy and I'm wincing just thinking of the shipping cost, so please don't, while I do appreciate the thought! :drinks:

Most reactions

Back