My 12g Nano

Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Substrate, great subtrate comes dampend with many good bacteria and life.
I think you should use the sand subtrate instead of the reef sub, if your using puka shell with your mixture.

Agree..fine substrate. Yashia haze and Randall's banded pistol shrimp. Here is mine:

nano136.jpg

And video:

Click here to watch Feeding-Yashia-Haze

Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Substrate, great subtrate comes dampend with many good bacteria and life.
I think you should use the sand subtrate instead of the reef sub, if your using puka shell with your mixture.

I was thinking of ditching the Puka shell and go with either:

Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Substrate

or

CaribSea Arag-Alive! Bimini Pink, West Caribbean Reef, or Fiji Pink

Will that work?

UPDATED 3/1/2006 12PM

Tank
2006 Nanocustoms Modded JBJ 12DX 4.24
- Bulb Type Actinic Blue
- Second bulb Actinic Blue
- Third bulb 7100K Daylight
- Rear Sump Lighting 13w 6700K Daylight & PONY 118 Integrated
- Ballast Control Dual Powercord
- Installation Options Complete System
- Fourth Bulb 50/50
- Moonlighting R2 Solution 5 LED Moonlight
- Finnex Titanium Heater - 050w
- Coralife Dual Power Center
- Corallife Thermometer
- Nimble Nano Magnet

Substrate
- (12lbs) Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand

Water
- Catalina Water

Live Rock
Premium Aquatics
- (10-15lbs Small Pieces) Premium Marshall Island Rock
- (2-3lbs) Rubble for Refugium

Corals
- Long Tentacle Green Plate
- Blue Crocea Clam
- Pulsating Xenias
- Feather Duster Worm
- Florida Ricorida
- Many Different Color Polyps

Fish
- Percula Clown
- Randalls Goby

Cleaner Crew

Shrimps
- Pistol Shrimp

Crabs
- TBD

Snails
- TBD

I would like comments on the following proposed components much of which I garnered through research, pictures and so forth. I could be completely of base, please let me know.

The nano stand came in from Dr. Fosters and the tank should be there when I get home. I will try to post some pics later.

Exciting!!!

Mar 3, 2006 3:11 AM

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

HAGERSTOWN, MD

Mar 2, 2006 7:17 PM

Delivery exception

HAGERSTOWN, MD

Local weather delay, delivery not attempted

Hmm. Not here yet... A bit of a let down

-_-

Just read through this post, you seem to have alot in good order and its great you are doing research on things before progressing further. I do however wish to give you some guidance on the crocus clam...

I have a Crocus clam (also known as a Boring clam as they Bore into liverock). In most areas its illegal to seel them as they are heavily harvested and easily damamged. (mine came through on import by accident as a maxima).
Inspect its foot. If its damaged then its likely to die within a few months as its extremly sensative. Inspect its shell. If theshell is worn downthen its a wild one and probably caught illegally (i would enquire as to the legality of importing Crocus clam inyour area). If the shell has prominant riges on it then it is highly likely to be a captive bred one as these are not allowed to bore into hte liverock and thus wear away the shell.

Lastly, PC lights wont cut it. I have a blue crocus clam under 700w of halides and its lost its fantastic blue colouration and turned a sort of browny/blue. I know thati need to increase the light by anothr 300w or perhaps change the current 300w of 20k lights to 10k and give me a full 10k light @ 700w. Whilst the clam "might" live, it will not keep its colouration.. when its young it might be ok as they dont require as much light but as it grow its become increasingly dependant on light adn you will eventaully run into trouble.

Crocus clams are probably one f the highest in demands of light requirements.. maybe even moreso than maximas.

Here is a piccy of mine.

Piccy when 1st introduced.. A lovely blue/green colour.
crocusclam1.jpg

And not about 6 months later.. (when 1st introduced it was under 400w 10k its currently under 700w 10 & 20k). even with the increased lights its still lost alotof its former colour.
PICT0008.jpg

Bump -

Looking for feedback on the cleanup crew if you have a second.

Thanks

I really wanted a shrimp/goby pair to go in my 15G but I was unsure how a pistol shrimp would be with my other inverts such as the sexy shrimpr, cleaner shrimp and hermits in a nano.

Ben

Sample cleanup crew for a 12G:

3 astrea
3 nassarius
3 cerith
1 trochus

One skunk cleaner

I'm not a big fan of hermits although I have them. You could add 2 scarlets. SH

Just read through this post, you seem to have alot in good order and its great you are doing research on things before progressing further. I do however wish to give you some guidance on the crocus clam...

I have a Crocus clam (also known as a Boring clam as they Bore into liverock). In most areas its illegal to seel them as they are heavily harvested and easily damamged. (mine came through on import by accident as a maxima).
Inspect its foot. If its damaged then its likely to die within a few months as its extremly sensative. Inspect its shell. If theshell is worn downthen its a wild one and probably caught illegally (i would enquire as to the legality of importing Crocus clam inyour area). If the shell has prominant riges on it then it is highly likely to be a captive bred one as these are not allowed to bore into hte liverock and thus wear away the shell.

Lastly, PC lights wont cut it. I have a blue crocus clam under 700w of halides and its lost its fantastic blue colouration and turned a sort of browny/blue. I know thati need to increase the light by anothr 300w or perhaps change the current 300w of 20k lights to 10k and give me a full 10k light @ 700w. Whilst the clam "might" live, it will not keep its colouration.. when its young it might be ok as they dont require as much light but as it grow its become increasingly dependant on light adn you will eventaully run into trouble.

Crocus clams are probably one f the highest in demands of light requirements.. maybe even moreso than maximas.

Here is a piccy of mine.

Piccy when 1st introduced.. A lovely blue/green colour.
crocusclam1.jpg

And not about 6 months later.. (when 1st introduced it was under 400w 10k its currently under 700w 10 & 20k). even with the increased lights its still lost alotof its former colour.
PICT0008.jpg

Navarre -

Thanks man. I am having some second thoughts on the clam. I don't want to put him in a environment where he is not going to thrive. I think I am going to hold off until I can do more research on the clams.

Thanks again

I really wanted a shrimp/goby pair to go in my 15G but I was unsure how a pistol shrimp would be with my other inverts such as the sexy shrimpr, cleaner shrimp and hermits in a nano.

Ben

Thanks Ben.

Sample cleanup crew for a 12G:

3 astrea
3 nassarius
3 cerith
1 trochus

One skunk cleaner

I'm not a big fan of hermits although I have them. You could add 2 scarlets. SH

steelhealr -

Thanks again. I have updated the cleaner list. I have recieved the tank and stand and have performed a leak test.

At this stage, I think I am ready for the next steps. Can you confirm these are the appropriate next steps to begin the cycle.

1. Setup three back chambers (pump, heater, live rock rubble...)
2. Add salt water to the tank
3. Add Live Rock
4. Add Substrate
5. Begin Cycle
6. One algae begins to appear, add cleaning crew
7. One cycle is complete, add livestock

Questions:
Does the chaeto go in after the tank cycles or while it is cycling?
What else should be in the back chambers while cycling? In other words, the same stuff you would have in the back after cycling. Filter media etc..

Thank you so much for providing that great superthread.!!!!

Most reactions

Back