Murky Water ...

gsta13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey all i recently filled up my tank with a clay based substarte and planted the tank, while filling with water i disturbed the substarte by acident ands the water was really muddy. Now after 48hrs nearly the tank water has settled down a lil bit but the water is still cloudy a little bit. Not like the water im used to. Should i change the water or will this remove the 'good stuff' tht the substrate has already put in? My p.H is now 6, will this have been effected by the substrate? its ok if it has because i want to put discus in there anyway.
Cheers
Greg

EDIT.
OK i just tested my tap water and its p.H is 7.2
How long will the substrate affect the p.H of my water? i know 6 is about ideal for discus however i dont think the p.H will be 6 forever. So should i do a couple of weeks of water changes and see?
Greg

Which substrate is it?

Its the tropica substrate called
PLANT SUBSTRATE
What imaginations they have lol.
Well i did a 50% change again but the water is still as murky as ever, but the p.H came up a little, im just goint okepp fish that like neutral pH as its alot easier and there wont be any swings during water changes. Any ideas? There are bits of the substrate that seem to have settled ontop of the gravel.... I dunno what to do.....
Greg

Test your ammonia (NH3 / NH4) levels as well, just in case! Some of these planted substrates can cause 3 week long ammonia spikes so keep a careful eye on this.

To aid in clearing of the water, possibly add carbon to the filters? Not sure how effective this is though...

I do not think murky water will effect the fish, it's jiust a visual thing. I'm thinking it will clear in time (due to settling and usual regaular water changes): I guess you'll just have to wait it out until it clears. Change the white floss as I guess it will be getting clogged up pretty quickly and may effect the efficency of your filter.

Hope this is accurate & correct.

Andy

Test your ammonia (NH3 / NH4) levels as well, just in case! Some of these planted substrates can cause 3 week long ammonia spikes so keep a careful eye on this.

To aid in clearing of the water, possibly add carbon to the filters? Not sure how effective this is though...

I do not think murky water will effect the fish, it's jiust a visual thing. I'm thinking it will clear in time (due to settling and usual regaular water changes): I guess you'll just have to wait it out until it clears. Change the white floss as I guess it will be getting clogged up pretty quickly and may effect the efficency of your filter.

Hope this is accurate & correct.

Andy

I dont really fancy re starting the filter, its an external Fluval 304, and it took me ages to get it going again last time, we had to pump it for like five mins for it to get going on its own!
Might have to tho by the sounds of it, im not planning on putting any fish in untill i like the layout of the tank, and i am quite sure alot of the plants will die off, as its a collection of plants and im just seeing what will grow in the conditions that i have.
Thanks
Greg

Yup, the murky water is from disturbing the substrate. I usually take a clean plate from my kitchen, set it on the bottom of the tank, then proceed to pour the water onto the plate.

Jordan

Yup, the murky water is from disturbing the substrate. I usually take a clean plate from my kitchen, set it on the bottom of the tank, then proceed to pour the water onto the plate.

Jordan

Some cloudiness with new substrate is normal - but 48 hours for it to settle down seems excessive. The longest I have ever had is 12, although if you don't rinse it first I can see where it might be longer.

Try doing a few large water changes (using the plate method above) and see if that reduces the cloudiness.

It is also possible that because you replaced the substrate your tank is now going through a mini-cycle, as the only remaining beneficial bacteria would be on the decorations (rocks, etc.) that you had in the tank before you made the change. If you've got fish in the tank keep doing frequent water changes and add something like Amquel + in decreasing amounts to reduce the bioload to give the bacteria a chance to catch up and to keep your fish alive. Be sparing with it (use it only when tests indicate a severe spike in amm, nitrate) bc amquel and like-products take out stuff your plants use for food (you really want to go with this option if there is no other way)

If no fish just do the reqular water changes - that should be sufficient to keep things in check without depriving the plants of essential stuff.

-Mike

So how did you go with your murky water ???

I have the same problem.

I've just setting up a tank with a clay substrate & unwashed gravel :blush: that was a week ago.

Ive done a 25% water change & still murky.

I only running a 1200/hr filter at the mo (waiting for a 2400/hr to arrive)

Can you get a finer filter medium to put in the canister ???

Cheers,
Shane

Most reactions

Back