Moving Tank

baz_78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
OK – I’ve done a quick search, but I guess my technique is not perfect as I got 1000’s of replies!!

My tank (15 UK gal) currently resides on our kitchen worktop but we’re having work done to the kitchen so I need to move the tank over the weekend…

What is the best way to do this – I’m also planning on swapping my current blue gravel for play sand at the same time, I figure the tank’s got to be empty to move it so ideal opportunity to do the change.

Are there any tips/recommendations for this move? Obviously I’ll have a heated/filtered bucket for the fish for the duration of the move…

[quote name='Baz's Fishies' post='1240505' date='Jul 7 2006, 10:58 AM']
OK – I’ve done a quick search, but I guess my technique is not perfect as I got 1000’s of replies!!

My tank (15 UK gal) currently resides on our kitchen worktop but we’re having work done to the kitchen so I need to move the tank over the weekend…

What is the best way to do this – I’m also planning on swapping my current blue gravel for play sand at the same time, I figure the tank’s got to be empty to move it so ideal opportunity to do the change.

Are there any tips/recommendations for this move? Obviously I’ll have a heated/filtered bucket for the fish for the duration of the move…
[/quote]

sounds fine to me!!

depends how long the fish are in the bucket and how much space they have! less time, more space.

if you are quick with the gravel/sand exchange, I see no problems!! same way I would do it (and have done it with nephew's tank).

pop your live plants (if you have any) in a bucket of tank water too, and put back at least 50% of the tank water I would say!!! don't want to change the environment too much.

Dave

sounds fine to me!!

depends how long the fish are in the bucket and how much space they have! less time, more space.

if you are quick with the gravel/sand exchange, I see no problems!! same way I would do it (and have done it with nephew's tank).

pop your live plants (if you have any) in a bucket of tank water too, and put back at least 50% of the tank water I would say!!! don't want to change the environment too much.

Dave

Cheers Dave,
Am hoping to keep it as quick and painless for everything involved!! That's how I was after any extra advice...
Now I've just got to find somewhere new to keep the tank!

if you are planning on totally emptying the tank and replacing all the gravel i would only lightly feed for the first week or so once the fish are back in, as the old gravel will hold a lot a beneficial bacteria and it might take a little time for your tank to be back up to speed bacteria wise

i would try to replace as much of the old tank water back as possible if it has just had a water change as removing all of the gravel at once could "knock" the bacteria

as well as if you are thinking of scraping the glass and wiping ornaments - sumtimes fishkeepers tend to do "too much" and get a u-expected spike !

happy decorating!! (the fish tank i mean - hehe)

Well, all went well with the move yesterday....

Only did the move though, will do the decorating on the return trip - kitchen won't be ready for about a week so thought the fish can live in their familiar surroundings (as much as possible) for another week.

Most reactions

Back