Moving Bed Filters

The chilly dipper

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7u2ZWTWaBA

and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNwrTeHNHs

I have them I.stalled on 3 tanks at my grandads as he keeps tanks, once matured its incredible what they do believe me
describe what kind of job they do please mate. i imagine you dont getmuch solid filtration though without a sponge.

has your grandad got sponges on his and also have you got pictures?

He runs sponge filters aswell but since we installed these the ammonia nitrate and nitrite levels are under control constantly, its like theyre never in desperate need of a "food" water change he just simply does 10% fortnightly and cleans his sponges

yeah must be amazing, i bet they filter the water....oh...like other filters filter the water. BUT BETTER. :|

yeah must be amazing, i bet they filter the water....oh...like other filters filter the water. BUT BETTER. :|

Yeah the word "must" suggests you haven't used them so pretty irrelevant to be honest mate bit its ok well keep you company if you just wanted to comment! Yeah they filter the water but IMO they male maintenance much easier

please stop being sarcastic all the time tizer.
if you aint got anything constructive to add then just dont bother doing it.

your know how is immense but stop butting in with utter bullsh*t
nonsense!!

you do it all the time and its not welcome mate :angry:

I have tried this on my own (I didn't even know that this design was in use elsewhere). I'm not sure what exactly they are using for media, but I am using green scrubby pads (the kind that don't have antibacterial properties) cut into small irregular pieces and allowed to free flow and tumble inside my filter housing. So far this has worked brilliantly and doesn't take up any additional tank space. I suppose the method I am using is more of a filter mod, but the result is the same.

Additionally I have placed a standard filter sponge where the water enters the chamber to do the mechanical filtration, so the prefilter that is shown in the second video doesn't take up any additional tank space either.

His design is functional but takes up quite a bit of real estate. Of course in a breeding or grow out situation, tank real estate is not so much of an issue and his design would be more than adequate. You just gotta love it when DIY projects turn out great :D

please stop being sarcastic all the time tizer.
if you aint got anything constructive to add then just dont bother doing it.

your know how is immense but stop butting in with utter bullsh*t
nonsense!!

you do it all the time and its not welcome mate :angry:

Unfortunately you rise to the bait in the wrong manner, its called banter, you know, like you might get down the pub ;)

Maybe i should put a friendly wink smiley on the end of every sarcastic comment ;)

;)

I made one of these after finding that you tube vid, i infact got the proper K1 media after 3 months it still couldt do 1ppm ammonia in my snail tank...so i binned it

Unfortunately you rise to the bait in the wrong manner, its called banter, you know, like you might get down the pub ;)

Maybe i should put a friendly wink smiley on the end of every sarcastic comment ;)

;)

Mate I play rugby for a living I know the meaning of banter, unfortunately you aren't the definition

;)

Mate I play rugby for a living I know the meaning of banter, unfortunately you aren't the definition

Brilliant, do you play for the London Wasps? Perhaps you are on their B team? Lol! guffaw guffaw :blink:

PS, im still waiting for you to explain why they are incredible, you cant big something up like that then leave me hanging, i wont sleep at night if im missing out on the worlds greatest filtration device... Oh, sec.... ;)

Tizer does have a point, why are these any better than other filters, any actual cited evidence would be good, it's the same design as any other air powered filter pretty much.

Well, it does look pretty cool. :look:

My bet is they are in fact less efficient than the more commonly used filters available. I see no reason why the media moving should filter any better than media that stays in place. In fact, for any given volume of media space, having moving media would mean there has to be less of it than if the entire space was filled with stationary (but properly porous media).

Most reactions

Back