Move To New Larger Tank Advice

Sayuri

Reaction score
I am picking up a new Fluval Osaka 260 this weekend which will replace my 95 litre tank as my main community display tank. Trouble is I want the Osaka where my 95l tank is currently sat!

I was planning on the following:

1. Siphon out water from 95l tank into two buckets (one 30 litre, one 55 litre)
2. Remove all plants, rocks and wood and place in the smaller bucket
3. Catch all the fish and place in larger bucket with a spare heater and 95l tank internal filter
4. Empty remaining water and gravel substrate from 95l and move the tank and stand out the way
5. Get the Osaka in place and put in new substrate (Switching to Seachem Flourite Black Sand)
6. Fill the Osaka with as much of the 95l tank water as possible
7. Put plants and decorations into Osaka
8. Top off with treated tank water
9. Run heater and filter in Osaka to check all working and to match the temp to the bucket with the fish
10. Move internal filter into Osaka
11. Move fish and acclimatise them the same as new fish from the LFS

Does this look like the best way of going about a move or would there be a less stressful method for the fish?

Also, will running the existing internal filter from my 95l in the Osaka for a few weeks be enough to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down whilst the new external filter establishes? I also have some filter sponge and a bag of purigen from my 130l tank that I will try and add to the new external filter (Eheim Professional II) or if not possible into the Osaka tank.

Any advice appreciated, I am very nervous about having all my fish caught in a cycling tank if I get this wrong!

As long as the water is from the same source and is of the same temperature there is no need to acclimatize.

It all sounds fine, but instead of fannying round with the internal, just stick all of the media in the new filter.

As long as the water is from the same source and is of the same temperature there is no need to acclimatize.

It all sounds fine, but instead of fannying round with the internal, just stick all of the media in the new filter.

Thanks, I didn't know I would be able to do that, never even seen an external filter before :lol:

No acclimatising makes it easier as well, thanks!

make sure you properly rinse that sand before you put the tank water in!

I'd heard it's a bit of a pain to wash but I got it really cheap so thought it was worth it!

Have you got the same sand? If so how long did it take for the rinsing?

Thanks!

I'd heard it's a bit of a pain to wash but I got it really cheap so thought it was worth it!
Have you got the same sand? If so how long did it take for the rinsing?
Thanks!

Not got the same sand here, but I have sand in my Main tank, and have used it in many other previously. It takes ages to clean the sand. I tend to put a small amount in a big bucket, and blast it with the hose for a minute to agitate it all, then pour off all the dust, then do it a couple more times till the water is running very clear. Then dump into the tank, and move onto the next load.

Don't put too much in at a time. Large loads takes ages, and are really hard work to stir and get all the dust out.

It will take a bit of time, but it is worth it!

Not got the same sand here, but I have sand in my Main tank, and have used it in many other previously. It takes ages to clean the sand. I tend to put a small amount in a big bucket, and blast it with the hose for a minute to agitate it all, then pour off all the dust, then do it a couple more times till the water is running very clear. Then dump into the tank, and move onto the next load.

Don't put too much in at a time. Large loads takes ages, and are really hard work to stir and get all the dust out.

It will take a bit of time, but it is worth it!

Thanks, that's helpful to know, I would have just been impatient and poured the whole lot in the bucket at once!

Looks like a long job on Saturday then :lol: !

Most reactions

Back