Most Owner-Friendly From Your Experience?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TheTankMan

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow fish fanatics :)

I'm very interested in know which fish from your experience has been the friendliest with you.

I'm talking about fish that can not only be hand fed, but also interact with their owner and acknowledge their owner's existence.

I've heard of fish that are so friendly they can be hand-held :O

Information like what size tank you have would be appreciated

Thanks! 
fish.gif

fish.gif

Hi - first of all just want to say touching and handling your fish is never recommended - by touching them you damage their slime coat and its just a risk not worth taking.

For me the most interactive fish are the American Cichlids - plenty to choose from just depends what size tank you have :)

Wills

I havn't had the chance of owning many fish yet, so far my betta is quite friendly.
He eats pellets off my finger, It'd be hard to do it with my full hand since the pellets are small.
He comes to the front of the tank as soon as he knows I'm there, and I often catch him looking right at me from a few feet away, and when I look over he dances around :D

Wills said:
Hi - first of all just want to say touching and handling your fish is never recommended - by touching them you damage their slime coat and its just a risk not worth taking.

For me the most interactive fish are the American Cichlids - plenty to choose from just depends what size tank you have
smile.png

Wills

K, thank for the tip, I'm making plans for my 240 litre

Ninjouzata said:
I havn't had the chance of owning many fish yet, so far my betta is quite friendly.
He eats pellets off my finger, It'd be hard to do it with my full hand since the pellets are small.
He comes to the front of the tank as soon as he knows I'm there, and I often catch him looking right at me from a few feet away, and when I look over he dances around
biggrin.png

Yeah, Betta's seem to be quite a popular personable fish, I've heard so many people talk about their Betta's interesting antics, however it seems like most Betta's just do things to be fed :p

Puffers. Pretty much any. They are like dogs. Of course hand feeding must only be done with care as they have teeth and can take a divit out of your hand. However, they can be trained, and respond to the owner. Larger marine puffers will allow for "petting", even sticking their head out of the water for you, but as mentioned one must always make sure hands are wet prior to any touching as dry hands will remove the slime coat. For this reason, and the biting, it's not a recommended activity.

Since puffers are not the easiest fish to keep I recommend the betta as the second. They are very interactive fish.

I only feed my betta once a day, so he doesn't get rewarded for his antics really.
The same could be said of other fish though, and some other animals we keep. Like cats. :p
Tcamos I'm glad you popped in, I've been wondering if the smaller puffers could hurt you or not.

TBH I'd say the betta is probably one of the most interactive fish going. If you've got the room though, I would go with wills' idea of cichlids. With cichlids, I find that the larger they are, the more interactive they are.

My guppies eat out of my hand.  I've also seen some very tame gold fish.  

Cichlids are certainly interactive, but I'm not sure they're 'friendly'; certainly not always; our oscar recognises certain people (he liked my son, until the son bleached his hair, now the fish goes mad when he sees him 
rolleyes.gif
) but basically hates everything and everyone; especially my mum's dogs and the water changing stuff.

On the other hand, my old angel seemed to love me, although it was probably just begging for food really!

Bettas ae really friendly, that's true and goldfish; especially fancies. Some of my favourite fishy friends ever have been fancy goldfish, although I don't keep them now (too many health problems, I find).

I used to keep Oscars and they were certainly interactive including trying to swallow my whole thumb, I now have malawis and they go mental when I walk into the room so much so my girlfriend is frightened to fed them and they are not as active when she feeds them, I have stuck my hand in to retrieve a stainless rod for weighing my cucumber and they kiss/ gently nibble my hands arms, even during cleaning they are nosey and wait for dinner after completing cleaning, characters to say the least!

My Oscars are very aware of everything that goes on in the room and recognise people and dogs behaving differently to them tho this is clearly related to who feeds them and which dogs are around at feeding time.  They are not exactly friendly tho LOL  but having said that I haven't really made the effort to tame them, I think it probably would have been quite easy.  I don't fancy trying it now they are bigger though, it should have been done when they were young.

fluttermoth said:
Cichlids are certainly interactive, but I'm not sure they're 'friendly'; certainly not always; our oscar recognises certain people (he liked my son, until the son bleached his hair, now the fish goes mad when he sees him 
rolleyes.gif
) but basically hates everything and everyone; especially my mum's dogs and the water changing stuff.

On the other hand, my old angel seemed to love me, although it was probably just begging for food really!

Bettas ae really friendly, that's true and goldfish; especially fancies. Some of my favourite fishy friends ever have been fancy goldfish, although I don't keep them now (too many health problems, I find).
I would not recommend goldfish to a beginner unless they are willing to pony up the dough it takes to properly raise them, goldfish are quite expensive to keep, especially if you want to keep more than one, they are very messy fish and require a far more active maintenance schedule than most other fish. They are very awesome to keep though, full of personality, they will eat out of your hands, very interactive. Some fancies are quite hard to keep, and are very sensitive, but there are a few quite hardy species, like the Ryukin (one of my favorites). 1 goldfish requires no less than 30g (so they say), however, I would recommend much more due to how messy they are, the smaller the tank, the more maintenance it requires, and the more time you will be spending on keeping the water quality up. They also require over-filtration, so if you have a 30g for 1 goldfish, I would recommend a filter for a 75g. If you have a bigger tank for them, like a 75g (which I recommend), then a couple filters for a much bigger tank would be expedient. They are not simple fish to keep, and they do require a lot of maintenance, and the fancy variety are very sensitive to changes in your water specs. Given all of this, they are fun to keep, and I enjoy mine very much... it's a very fulfilling experience.

Guppies are simple to keep, my sister used to keep this when she was little, and quite successfully, she used to breed them as well and sell to one of our LFS (I think she was like 6 or 7 years old when she was doing this, so it's not at all too complicated, and they don't need a tank that is very big. I would recommend a 15g, although some say that 10g is suitable... (the bigger the better, and the extra 5g goes a long way). However, guppies breed a lot, and you'll have to be prepared to manage this. All in all, they are fun, playful and quirky fish. I love them.

Bettas are nice, they are beautiful and they can have big personalities. 10-15g tank would be suitable. (always, the bigger the better.) Although, you can't keep a lot of things with them, well, not anything really, snails... so this is a limitation.

Cichlids are very nice, and I've heard a lot of successful beginner stories with them, they are also chalk full of personality and playfulness. However, to keep a community cichlid tank you will need a 55-75g aquarium.

There are pros and cons to keeping any fish, and it is a very expensive hobby, it's best to choose wisely, and to choose a fish that will be within your budget to care for correctly.

Skies said:

rolleyes.gif

I would not recommend goldfish to a beginner unless they are willing to pony up the dough it takes to properly raise them, goldfish are quite expensive to keep, especially if you want to keep more than one, they are very messy fish and require a far more active maintenance schedule than most other fish. They are very awesome to keep though, full of personality, they will eat out of your hands, very interactive. Some fancies are quite hard to keep, and are very sensitive, but there are a few quite hardy species, like the Ryukin (one of my favorites). 1 goldfish requires no less than 30g (so they say), however, I would recommend much more due to how messy they are, the smaller the tank, the more maintenance it requires, and the more time you will be spending on keeping the water quality up. They also require over-filtration, so if you have a 30g for 1 goldfish, I would recommend a filter for a 75g. If you have a bigger tank for them, like a 75g (which I recommend), then a couple filters for a much bigger tank would be expedient. They are not simple fish to keep, and they do require a lot of maintenance, and the fancy variety are very sensitive to changes in your water specs. Given all of this, they are fun to keep, and I enjoy mine very much... it's a very fulfilling experience.

Guppies are simple to keep, my sister used to keep this when she was little, and quite successfully, she used to breed them as well and sell to one of our LFS (I think she was like 6 or 7 years old when she was doing this, so it's not at all too complicated, and they don't need a tank that is very big. I would recommend a 15g, although some say that 10g is suitable... (the bigger the better, and the extra 5g goes a long way). However, guppies breed a lot, and you'll have to be prepared to manage this. All in all, they are fun, playful and quirky fish. I love them.

Bettas are nice, they are beautiful and they can have big personalities. 10-15g tank would be suitable. (always, the bigger the better.) Although, you can't keep a lot of things with them, well, not anything really, snails... so this is a limitation.

Cichlids are very nice, and I've heard a lot of successful beginner stories with them, they are also chalk full of personality and playfulness. However, to keep a community cichlid tank you will need a 55-75g aquarium.

There are pros and cons to keeping any fish, and it is a very expensive hobby, it's best to choose wisely, and to choose a fish that will be within your budget to care for correctly.

I can tell that you like your fish :eek:

However, I'm no beginner lol, just new to the forums :)

I've already got a 53g and a 20g tank running, right now I'm looking for a centrepiece fish for the 53g, particularly a largish cichlid with personality 
fish.gif

My discus love me (unless they have eggs, and then it's like a dinner plate ramming into my hand at full speed).   They follow me around, feed from my hand, etc.  But obviously, I don't recommend discus unless you can keep pristine water, and really know what you are doing!
wink.png

Most reactions

Back