Most Expensive Hobby’s Besides Fish Keeping?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dirtbikes. Motorcross is my other “hobby”, and dang, it’s expensive.

4wheeling is a pricy one too.

Cello. Just a set of cheap prelude strings (that have be replaced 1-3 times a year) cost at least $50. $100-300 for nice strings (like larsens or something). The bow alone ranges from $50-500. A beginner level instrument is $1000+

Last edited:
Cello. Just a set of cheap prelude strings (that have be replaced 1-3 times a year) cost at least $50. $100-300 for nice strings (like larsens or something). The bow alone ranges from $50-500. A beginner level instrument is $1000+
You play cello?:eek::eek::eek: I would love to play cello, we have one. I am just so afraid of breaking something and have no idea where to start:blink:

You play cello?:eek::eek::eek: I would love to play cello, we have one. I am just so afraid of breaking something and have no idea where to start:blink:
I just wish I knew how to play any instrument lol

I am an ultra distance runner, meaning I like to run races longer than the marathon distance, 50K to 100 miles. For years I worked for a major running shoe company so all of my shoes and clothing were free. I am no longer working for that company, so I spend about 150$ on shoes every 1.5-2 months. Races cost anywhere from $120-$400 USD. Factor in nutrition, lighting (for night running) hydration packs and other gear, and my once basic pastime can get pretty pricey pretty quick. Still cheaper than my motocross racing days. Surfing is another hobby of mine that can get expensive.

Cellos may be delicate, but they are not fragile. Just start with learning how to hold it, then how to hold the bow. Watch a few YouTube tutorials, and if you like it and are really interested, start looking around for lessons!

Cello is super fun.

I try and make sure any hobby I pick is as cheap as possible.

I do however have a ton of hobbies but next to no time to partake in any of them.

Blacksmithing/Redsmithing - Started off cheap with home built charcoal forge and scrap metal, recently got a new anvil and 3 burner propane forge which was a pretty big chuck of cash. Got in in July but still not actually had chance to fire it up yet.

Miniature/model painting/making - Some of the models and paint and kit was expensive. Some of it I literally make from scrap. I have picked up a resin and fdm printer though and I 3D model and print my own stuff as well now.

Green wood carving - Probably my cheapest hobby. I made the carving tools myself and the wood I get for free mostly from tree surgeons and woodland management people. Only just got into this but is fun.

Bunch of other different craft/maker bits and bobs.
I would like to see pictures of your models. I have just started building models again after 40 years of not building them.

I would like to see pictures of your models. I have just started building models again after 40 years of not building them.
Mostly I do a lot more tabletop gaming stuff than normal models. If your interested I have a lot of my "Gaslands"stuff on Imgur. Gaslands is a tabletop game that basically uses converted toy cars as game pieces. Lots of kitbashing and a good community around it as well. Also dead cheap :)

My imgur posts:

Hm, my most expensive hobbies...Does raising a kid count??? :lol:

Cool to see so many musicians and aspiring musicians on here! I'm a music teacher by trade, so overall music makes me more money than it costs me. :) I play euphonium (very expensive), acoustic guitar (fairly expensive), bodhran (ditto) and penny whistle (not too bad). The good thing about music as a hobby is that if you get a decent instrument and take care of it, it is a one-time expense that will last your whole life and probably be passed onto your kids and grandkids some day. If any of you need some pointers on how to get started on an instrument, I'd be happy to help get you pointed the right direction. :)

Nice to hear from some runners on here, too. Trail running is one of my great joys, but not an expensive hobby as I really just need a pair of shoes and a water bottle (and I usually don't even take a water bottle) @robmcd I dream of doing an ultra, but I have to content myself with 10ks and half marathons. I figure a half marathon in the Wind River Range is good enough. :lol:

Probably my most expensive hobby is primitive archery. I'm learning to make bows, and I've been making my own arrows for years. Bow staves (good, straight-grained split tree trunks) are fairly expensive, even though I have friends that collect them for me and I usually only pay shipping. I'm learning to use more local materials, so the time cost (and satisfaction!) will increase but the monetary cost should eventually reduce to almost nothing. Hopefully.

Most reactions

Back