I just discovered I've never kept a Corydoras

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My only beef with the common names is simply the vagueness and the fact that names are often shared among species and that can cause confusion with getting proper care for that species.

If they were consistent across the board it would be no issue for me.

I'm also the sort of person that likes to know exactly what I've got when I keep something, so a vague idea isn't enough for my curiosity. So for my personal preference, I like the exact names. Some species I keep also don't have common names, such as my bario forestii. Most in the hobby would just throw them under the "red eye tetra" label and be done with it, but they're a legit separate species from what's supposed to be "red eye tetras" and have morphological differences and even size differences between it's lookalikes. The size factor can make or break your tank size choice for it, imo, so to me it's beneficial to know exact. Does it 100% matter at the end of the day? Not particularly, as care conditions are similar.

But if someone were to ask, could they keep red eyes in a 29g tank or such, it would depend. True red eyes, bario sanctaefilomenae, I'd say no because they get a good size and have a bad attitude so would be better off in a 40g+. But bario forestii is smaller and could be kept in a 29g. And, to most folks they look nearly identical. They have to be told apart mostly by lateral line and scale counts.

But, I'm not gonna look down on another person who uses the common names either, as long as they know what they have.

And then we have another issue with confusing names--> hybrids.
Bedotia madagascarensis, the madagascar rainbowfish. It's so often mislabeled as Bedotia geayi, and there's speculation that they've been interbred in the early days. So what's in the hobby is more often madagascarensis or mixed fish. Neither are really collected from the wild anymore, but there is confusing genetic makeup of these fish. The same deal is for common bristlenose plecos, ancistrus cf cirrhosis. No one is sure what the actual fish is, because it's been muddled up so much in the hobby by people who don't particularly care.

So sometimes, it's good to err on the side of caution and know what you've got. Others, in terms of care, it doesn't really matter except personal preference.

I tend to group fish by vague names like cory, cichlid, tetra, pleco etc. I know there are different genus & species names; I learn them as I keep or want to keep them. Good websites often have several previous names, both Latin & common 1s listed along with newer currently used names. Some like "odessa" or "redline torpedo" barbs were sure to change genus from puntius & they have. There are very many more species in the hobby than when we started 40+ years ago. I remember when Cass & I discussed her sarawakensis rasboras. I wanted some. I had to learn what their "trade name" was & to double check before I bought them.

About the time I learned to spell & pronounce Yasuhikatakia for a species that was always in the Botia genus, it changed again to Ambastia. Easier than its previous genus, lol, but still our beloved dwarf chain loaches :D

Hybrids should have an asterisk or something to denote possible (likely?) crosses. I guess that's sort of what "cf" means, "we have no idea" what these fish are or started out as...I try to avoid them, but I do have bn plecos...🤷‍♂️

I have trouble with Latin & common plant names too. I have to try & visualize the words of my plant club's pronunciations. Different emphasis than I think of them. Some just go by the vague "jungle vallisneria"; I've had a couple different species. But it really just means that tall 1 that is too big for a small tank. If we really cared we could try to get it to flower emersed & make a better guess, there are hundreds of vals...Like fish, there are "varieties" that are the same species but can look entirely different too.

My husband is a chemist & pronounces chemical names differently than drug ads do. The first few times we heard 1 in particular, we'd make eye contact & laugh. It is an area he'd worked on for years.

In some ways I wish I had learned Latin for both fish & plants or at least a good translation site or 2.

Dwarf chain loaches, Ambastaia sidthimunki, have one of the funniest species names. Sure, the ever-changing genus names are annoying, but I'm glad their species remains "Syd the monkey." When I kept them, they were all named Syd. And they acted like little monkeys.

Common names are just nicknames: Kind of fun, and not worth taking all that seriously. If I really want to be clear I use Latinized names, but common names stand up to normal wear and tear.

But one fun thing about common names is that, since they aren't "official," they can be whatever you want. I tend to use names that make sense to me, especially with obscure species or ones that have multiple "common" names. Thus, when I kept Dawkinsia denisonii, I ignored all the silly trade names (Roseline shark? Really? :angry:) and simply called them Dennison barbs, or just Dennies, and people knew what I was talking about.

I currently have a herd of Nemacheilus corica, which The Wet Spot calls Polka Dot Loach. Dumb name. I call them Himalayan sand loaches. 'Cause that's what they are. Or corica loaches, when I'm in a more scholarly mood. They're such an obscure species that I can call them what I want, because I don't know anyone else who keeps them. Take that, stupid common name! :cool:

I have seen some serious fast a loose play with names though. There have been exporters who catch the same fish over and over again, and put a new name on it for their lists every time. As long as the buyers weren't sharp, they'd get away with it. Or, they would make up one name and use it no matter what they caught. If was an unidentified dwarf Cichlid, they'd name it after a family member. Every time it was ordered, it was a different fish.

Using scientific or international names doesn't stop cheating like that. But I have noticed exporters who discover they are expected to find the real name of a fish in the market they are selling to get a little more careful. Making stuff up then makes them look unprofessional.

If someone presents a paper that changes the Genus of a fish (the species name doesn't change unless someone screwed up), I trust the people who did the studies. I didn't describe the fish, do the DNA and molecular work, examine the skeleton, look at the capture locality, etc. So I respect their work.

I watch it. If it doesn't hold water, science has a decent system for self correction, and it will kick in (if anyone cares to follow up). Breaking up the Genus Corydoras makes sense to me, and it's something hobbyists have wondered aloud about for many years. I think this one will hold up over time.

Most of the hobby still thinks Corys are the cute garbage workers of the aquarium, and if you only look at them at that level (ie not at all except as products to buy) none of this matters. But if you're watching a few Cory species closely and start wondering about similarities and differences, well, there's info under the right name...

All loaches are the same though. Squigglers or thumpers.

I have seen some serious fast a loose play with names though. There have been exporters who catch the same fish over and over again, and put a new name on it for their lists every time. As long as the buyers weren't sharp, they'd get away with it. Or, they would make up one name and use it no matter what they caught. If was an unidentified dwarf Cichlid, they'd name it after a family member. Every time it was ordered, it was a different fish.

Reminds me of the time I found gastrodermus elegans in my old lfs labeled as "Peruvian blue corydoras". No no, they're elegant corydoras, what's with that totally fantastical name LOL

Very blue.
20211013_183347.jpg

Reminds me of another time someone was getting angry with me insisting their hoplisoma paleatum weren't "peppered cories" but were actually "blue leopard cories". Same species, different common name, they got duped by a seller labeling them more fancy, but NO they're not a rare exotic species like he was trying to pass them off as. Was not having it when I pointed out to them they're the same species 🤣

Using scientific or international names doesn't stop cheating like that. But I have noticed exporters who discover they are expected to find the real name of a fish in the market they are selling to get a little more careful. Making stuff up then makes them look unprofessional.

If someone presents a paper that changes the Genus of a fish (the species name doesn't change unless someone screwed up), I trust the people who did the studies. I didn't describe the fish, do the DNA and molecular work, examine the skeleton, look at the capture locality, etc. So I respect their work.

I watch it. If it doesn't hold water, science has a decent system for self correction, and it will kick in (if anyone cares to follow up). Breaking up the Genus Corydoras makes sense to me, and it's something hobbyists have wondered aloud about for many years. I think this one will hold up over time.

Most of the hobby still thinks Corys are the cute garbage workers of the aquarium, and if you only look at them at that level (ie not at all except as products to buy) none of this matters. But if you're watching a few Cory species closely and start wondering about similarities and differences, well, there's info under the right name...

All loaches are the same though. Squigglers or thumpers.
Yeah, changing names to intentionally deceive customers isn't cool. But for my own amusement? It's fine.

Loaches are wonderful. You should seek professional help.

At least with dwarf chain loaches the species name is the same, no matter the genus, as are corica (aren't they still nemacheilus? What now?!? nemacheilid is a class I think. So what are is their "official" genus now?). Do we really need to change bronze corys species from aeneus to aenea? It seems petty & nitpicky to me without any good reason. Genus I can see changing as we learn more but can't we keep species names? Often named for people or where they're often found, it's not often a scientific word that means anything much. Aenea or aeneus means bronze, why the new name spelling? I don't get it

aenea or aeneus?? You're an English speaker. Our nouns don't have gender, but in Latin languages, they do. So the species name has to accord grammatically with the new Genus name. It drives English speakers crazy, but not doing so would drive speakers of Latin based languages even crazier.
It may be a dead language we can all use without one empire or another claiming its language is the best one, but there you have it. I imagine Chinese aquarists are even more annoyed. Latin used to be alive and we're stuck with that. My English trained brain has spent years sorting noun gender in French and Spanish, so it doesn't bother me as much.

The grammar policeman in this is a Roman centurion, and those guys could do you damage.

Awe man... & I'm terrible with Latin names... it's so much easier to just say "Goldfish"
I love Latin names but I like to deliberately butcher the pronunciation . I mostly refer to fish in generalities . Catfish , cichlids , tetras and whatever . Now , killifish is a whole other thing . There are few to no common names and if you don’t know and understand genus , species and location you will forever wander in darkness without a clue in the world as to what you have or are looking at .

aenea or aeneus?? You're an English speaker. Our nouns don't have gender, but in Latin languages, they do. So the species name has to accord grammatically with the new Genus name. It drives English speakers crazy, but not doing so would drive speakers of Latin based languages even crazier.
It may be a dead language we can all use without one empire or another claiming its language is the best one, but there you have it. I imagine Chinese aquarists are even more annoyed. Latin used to be alive and we're stuck with that. My English trained brain has spent years sorting noun gender in French and Spanish, so it doesn't bother me as much.

The grammar policeman in this is a Roman centurion, and those guys could do you damage.
Yea but don't they have like 1000 ending for gender based of a gazillion different rules. Hum what is 1000 * gazillion? Well a lot - i could never keep them all straight and vaguely to make things worse i think there are a few exceptions thrown in to keep you on your toe. ae us am arum is whatever. To many to enumerate. Why can't we just call them him, her, it and be done with it.

Most reactions

Back