Modified filter media

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ogh1156

Reaction score
I was thinking of taking the carbon out of the basket on my magnum 350 canister filter & packing it with ehfi-mech tubular type media for added biological, Any reasons why it wouldnt work & would it even be worth doing?

Efi-mech is a mechanical media not a bio-media. Replace the carbon with sponge for bio.

Anything used for mechanical will double as bio-media anyway, be it sponge or efimech. I do agree though, sponge works just as well and is also much more cost effective. Fine filter floss can really help for the fine partical filtration, and all of the tiny fibres make it great for bio-filtration too.

What fish do you have? I find that ceramic tubes work much better than sponges in tanks that contain larger than average fish (over 6 inches)as the media doesnt become clogged as quickly by the larger than average poop. If you just have the normal sized (under 6 inches) fish then a sponge is more effective as it traps smaller particals.

Will the sponge restrict the gph flow? My intent with the tubular media was to gain surface area for bio. I would still use the foam sleeve around the outside of the container. I could put a layer of foam or sponge around the inside of the container & fill the remaining space inside with the tubular media, That would boost mech & bio right? I have read quite a few posts lately about carbon not being very benifical and want to make better use of the carbon container. Thanks for the replies, They are giving me some more Ideas keep them coming. See my sig for my tank & fish.

If you are fancying Eheim media, then it is Ehfi-substrat (sintered glass) and not Ehfi-mech that offers the biological filtration. Click on the link for "water care"

From the site:

EHFISUBSTRAT

To create biologically sound water as found in nature, you need EHFISUBSTRAT. Biological filtering is based on a natural decomposition of harmful substances using helpful bacteria. They convert ammonia and nitrite into relatively non-toxic nitrate. The efficiency of biological filtration is limited by the media that bacteria are growing on. With over 450 m² per litre (22, 000sq. ft. per lmp. gal. / 18, 3000 sq. ft. per U.S. gal.) EHFISUBSTRAT is a specially designed sintered glass. Bacteria are able to stick better to a surface which has a complex pore system. EHFISUBSTRAT has been specially developed to offer optimum sites for bacteria colonization. The effectiveness of these bacteria is linked to how much oxygen and toxins can flow by. With faster decomposition of toxins compared to other media. Highly effective, economically priced, it is the best biological media available to aquarium hobbyists.

HTH :)

Most reactions

Back