Mixing

BigC

Fish Maniac
Reaction score
Are all artificial salt mixes/brands the same (not chemically) but when it comes to a specific amount of salt to a specific amount of water.
For example is there a unified table whereby
we can say this volume of water needs this many lbs of salt mix to reach this sg.

i dont really know all the salt brands and all but they should be similar. you could try testing the water to check too.

Dunno, but why concern yourself with measures of mass? Isn't it easier to use a measuring cup? ;)

And yes BigC, most are very similar, 1/2 cup per gallon.

i used a half a cup per gallon with reef crystals and got about 1.019 sg, i use 2 cups for every 3 gallons or 1 cup for every 1.5 gallon to get 1.024

1/2 cup per gallon will rapidly become somewhat useless as a mixing guide.

The moment that your salt packet is open it begins absorbing water from the air meaning any amount of salt from the packet is going to have differing amounts of salt and water in it. Best way is to always mix in the same container and then you will know roughly how much and can use a hydrometer or refractometer to ensure you get the right amount.

how big is the cup?

My cup is bigger then yours :p

But it's, what's in your cup that counts!

Also, to which 'gallon' are we referring to here? US gallon ( equivalent to 3.83 liters)? or Imperial gallon (equivalent to 4.54 liters)?

much better to use liters, a nice single standard unit :good:
<rant>
I must admit, it's a real pet peeve of mine on these forums, when I see people mention 'gallons' but fail to mention which one! :grr:
</rant>

Most reactions

Back