Minimum Tank Size For A Pleco

I've seen tiny tiny pleco's about an ich long.
As for the regular ones I say 20 gallons or more because they grow really REALLY HUGE as time progresses.
*** On another note: You can keep them in a 10 gallon when they are small but when they get HUGE you will have to convert them.

Aqua - that is not necessarily true! No fish should really be in a 1 gallon taken aside from MAYBE a betta. But, even that is pushing it.
And, there are so many different types of plecos that don't really grow huge!
Jordan - what type of pleco are you talking about? Common plec, BristleNose (probably the most common 2) or something else??

What type of pleco? Common, perhaps a 4x2x2, gibby, bit bigger. Obviously there's smaller species, but they're the most common.

It all depends on what kind of pleco. Some stay small (under six inches) while other get huge. They have a pinned topic in the Pleco forum that has plecos that are under 6 inches if that is what you are looking for. These plecos can live in 20 gals or larger. The bigger the pleco gets, the bigger the tank he will need.

I have breed pleco's they are about an inch long and they don't grow much bigger. They are silver and black. DO RESEARCH.

What kind of pleco should I RESEARCH!? What are their names?

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=132656

it depends on your stocking, but as we're talking about MINIMUM tank size I would say as a general rule plecs up to about 4 or 5 inches could just about fit in a 2ft tank at the very least (look in the link above) so the biggest plecs a 2fter could hold would be queen abaresques, BNs, King Tigers, candy stripes and more. There are many more smaller ones.
The smallest proper plec thats available is probably the pitbull plec, maxing at 2". possibly 10g for one of those.

that covers the smallest plecs.

A great alternative to plecs is the otocinclus though, although not being a plec as such, it is great for smaller tanks.

The Slender Suckerfish (also know as pleco's) which grows to 1 m in length, can vary in colour. It is often white with distinct dark stripes, but large individuals may be entirely grey.

It has an elongate body, tiny embedded scales and an oval-shaped sucking disc. This disc, which is a highly modified dorsal fin, is positioned from the top of the head to the anterior part of the body.

The pectoral fins of this species are positioned high on the sides of the body while the dorsal and anal fins are long-based with elevated leading rays.

The fish's lower jaw projects forward well beyond the upper jaw. The jaws, vomer and tongue have villiform teeth.

The Slender Suckerfish uses the sucking disc to attach to larger fishes, most commonly sharks and rays. But it has been seen attached to boats, marine mammals and even divers. This species is also seen free-swimming.

When attached to a large predator, the Slender Suckerfish eats food scraps from the feeding activity of its host. It is also known to eat parasites off the host's body.

The Slender Suckerfish has a widespread distribution in most tropical and some warm temperate marine waters. In Australia it is commonly seen from south-western Western Australia around the tropical north and south to the southern coast of New South Wales. It is infrequently observed in Victorian and Tasmanian waters.

The Slender Suckerfish (also know as pleco's) which grows to 1 m in length, can vary in colour.

I think you just "shot yourself in the foot", so to say. The fish you listed grows to 1 meter, or 40 inches. You where challenged to come up with a pleco that only grows to 1 inch adult size.

also, whats the scientific name for the plec that you bred? "slender suckerfish" could be quite a few! I also would not recommend any plec for a 1 gallon! Again jordan, it depends on what plec you are talikng about.

greg

The Slender Suckerfish (also know as pleco's) which grows to 1 m in length, can vary in colour.

I think you just "shot yourself in the foot", so to say. The fish you listed grows to 1 meter, or 40 inches. You where challenged to come up with a pleco that only grows to 1 inch adult size.

That is they're breed. That's the only research I could find for u guyz.

what do you mean that's their breed!? fish are classified with species subspecies etc. Tbh i think you "shot yourself in the foot". You told someone to do their research when their info was perfectly alright, and you can't even state the true name of the fish you have bred...hmm.

greg

Most reactions

Back