Mini Fish Farm

Gun

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys :)

How successful do you think an online fish selling business from home could be...?

Can it work, Would there be enough demand, do you need a licence to sell 'personally bred' fish, etc...?

I've always wanted to have a crack at something like this and if there's any chance It could work..I'll definitely give it a go.

I would start off wtih fish that breed easy, then try my hand at other more difficult species as I gain experience.

Guys, do you know of anybody being successful with something like this...?

I think setting the whole thing up (although it would take time and thought) wouldn't be to difficult. It's the business/market side I wouldn't have a clue about. :unsure:

I guess it could be done.. alot of fish are sold on eBay.

If I thought I could make it work I would try it :) But I don't pay the electricity bill, so it's a bit unfair to expect free electricity for 20+ tanks..

Modaz sells Bettas on eBay which are quite a high price (a few for £30 or more!).. they are of the best quality though.

Hmm..putting some serious thought to this.

Property : Currently own a large shed (roughly 20 x 10 ft) which has a concrete floor...probably need insulated, though.

20x10ft Workshops go for £1250..could be a possibility, if needed years down the line.

Tanks : Currently own 1 x 4ft, 3 x 3ft, 3 x 2ft and 3 smaller fry tanks. Would add to these as fast as my budget would allow, the aim would be to cover maybe 3 of the walls with tanks stacked 2-3 high.

Fish : Start of with what I've been successful with in the past...good old Guppies and Convict Cichlids. :D Then move on as I become more experienced.

Why not give it a go! I would i i could.

i've been doing it for about a year-ticks over steady but not making massive profits or anything- And my electric bill did rocket up-breed rare stuff and unusual stuff if you decide to go down that route. Youll never sell dalmation mollies or danios because of them being readily available in the shops so youll be letting them go for cheap money.

Em, i could make you up an entire website, not just eBay. It would work like sites like amazon and tf4u. Just select what you want, gender etc then it gets put in a basket, then onto checkout. PM me if you are interested, ive been looking for something to do.

The out going would be far to much.

If you want to sell to shops you have to be able to provide the fish on a regular or they will not buy them and if it costs to much to them again.
Even online if you dont try to corner the market all the time someone else is happy to just in short turm and many on ebay have been know to buy from other sellers and give bad feed back.

I would of do this a ling time a go but many other counteries have no heating costs to keep tropical fish and thus save £1000's compaired to us

I know i'm not sounding very enthusiastic but it's only coz i would be doing it myself. fish keeping has never payed well unless you can corner the market with something like zebra plec's or something that s difficualt to breed that people rearly want in good numbers.

Hi guys...thanks for the positive replies :good:

I've just been measuring out the shed. It measures 22.9ft(L) x 10.4ft(w) x 6.5ft(H) with a little bit chopped off at the rear left.

My dad reckons it would cost me around £500 to prepare the shed (insulation, shelving & racks). Then it's a matter of setting my current tanks up in there and getting started.

Over time I would add more tanks (aim for one a week) until the shed is completely full. There will be a mix of tanks ranging in sizes of 8-6ft, 4ft, 3ft, 2ft and fry tanks/segregation tanks. The tanks would only cover the wall areas (sticking out no more than 2-2 1/2 ft) maybe with a desk area in one corner.

I'm just wondering guys. Say I managed to pull this off and maybe in 1/2 years time I had this thing going (with the first sellable fry ready). Would you guys or people on other forums buy from someone like me...? :unsure:

There will proberly be a website over time..but not straight away. An online delivery/payment service would be set up. The fish would also be of the highest standard (I will not sell any fish that are malformed/diseased/stressed, etc) :)

There will also be plenty pics of the fish house available...whether it be on forums/message boards or imagehosts. The images will be very clear with pics of tanks/fish/fry, etc.

You could basically choose the fish you wanted via images/ or even better...video :D , I then tell you if they are available...if successful, they will be dispatched and payment will be made. :) . There will also be some sort of guarantee set up (not sure about this area yet)...I think I've seen other shops give a weeks guarantee.

So, what do you think guys...would you buy? :)

Edit: Thanks for the offer,Keithoms...if I ever need anything like this in the future...I may be in touch :good:

helterskelter: Hmmm running costs is going to need some thought :unsure:

Hi guys...thanks for the positive replies :good:

I've just been measuring out the shed. It measures 22.9ft(L) x 10.4ft(w) x 6.5ft(H) with a little bit chopped off at the rear left.

My dad reckons it would cost me around £500 to prepare the shed (insulation, shelving & racks). Then it's a matter of setting my current tanks up in there and getting started.

Over time I would add more tanks (aim for one a week) until the shed is completely full. There will be a mix of tanks ranging in sizes of 8-6ft, 4ft, 3ft, 2ft and fry tanks/segregation tanks. The tanks would only cover the wall areas (sticking out no more than 2-2 1/2 ft) maybe with a desk area in one corner.

I'm just wondering guys. Say I managed to pull this off and maybe in 1/2 years time I had this thing going (with the first sellable fry ready). Would you guys or people on other forums buy from someone like me...? :unsure:

There will proberly be a website over time..but not straight away. An online delivery/payment service would be set up. The fish would also be of the highest standard (I will not sell any fish that are malformed/diseased/stressed, etc) :)

There will also be plenty pics of the fish house available...whether it be on forums/message boards or imagehosts. The images will be very clear with pics of tanks/fish/fry, etc.

You could basically choose the fish you wanted via images/ or even better...video :D , I then tell you if they are available...if successful, they will be dispatched and payment will be made. :) . There will also be some sort of guarantee set up (not sure about this area yet)...I think I've seen other shops give a weeks guarantee.

So, what do you think guys...would you buy? :)

firstly good luck in what you decide to do with out, also making a journel would be good also.

i think people will definately buy form you if you sell what theyre after and different thing apart from guppies, platies etc.
and if you offer postage to people youve got a better chance of selling as well.

For this to work you will have to sell unusual fish so that you become the seller of that particular fish.

Shipping kills, it is many times the expense of the fish if you have more commonly found fish. Your bet bet is first to hook up with a local club; http://fins.actwin.com/dir/clubs.php

This will get you everything from an idea as to what is selling & who is buying. It is cheaper to sell to local shops than to have to deal with shipping, I just got back from dropping off some fish, $6 in gas to make $125. It would cost $70 or more to ship the same fish overnight.

It will also get you used gear, which usually works just as well as new. I started breeding angels by getting a truck load of used 20 gallon tanks for $12 each from a discus breeder who was upgrading to 29 gallon tanks. I've gotten 29 gallon tanks for $3 at club auctions, this is the way to go if you want to see any profit at all. Once some money is coming in, you can upgrade, and sell off some used gear. I've traded fish for used lumber to other breeders, a rack for five 40's & a few 20's cost me about $30 in extras.

When setting up the fishroom, do not skimp on electrical outlets, or circuits. I have two circuits going to my fishroom, a 20 amp & a 15 amp, doing it again I would set up a 50 amp sub box, and about twice as many outlets. Also consider ventilation, humidity causes condensation, which can cause considerable damage over time, I've seen fishroom ceilings falling in when this was not taken into consideration.

Let the fish pay for stuff, I make mine earn their keep.

I think the key to this is quality and breeding less common species..although I do think people will buy guppies, tetras, betas, convicts, etc (as long as the quality is there and there healthy) and the service is good. :)

Do I need some sort of licence to do this...? It will be run from a back garden.

Well, whatever happens, im just going to start setting up the website just now to give me something to do, even if it doesnt get used in the end. But please send me a possible name so i have something to work with :p

Yeah, thanks for that Tolak :good:

Hopefully this will be well planned and everything down on paper before I go ahead. Shipping is definitely a problem (I need to learn more in this area).

As for electricals, etc. I want this fishroom to run with minimum maintainance to begin with (as I currently have a full time job)..so hopefully I'll get all the correct equipment in before I add the tanks. Water and air supply to work out also. :)

Well, whatever happens, im just going to start setting up the website just now to give me something to do, even if it doesnt get used in the end. But please send me a possible name so i have something to work with :p

Lol! you caught me off guard....I haven't a clue. If I think of something I'll post it up :D

Edit: I'm currently drawing up plans for the fish house. I've drew the main area of shed, time to add racks, etc...see what it would look like. If it looks half decent, I'll post a pic of the drawing :good:

Edit2: Guys, what do you think of some sort of pipework running between racks (along the walls) supplying air/water....? Some sort of large pump/pumps to feed the lot...?

In an ideal world, this fishroom will be run with minimum maintenance. If there's systems that can be built that can do water changes, etc...I'm interested in looking into it. :)

If i was you i wouldn't breed convicts to sell on. Im my experience pet shops will not take them due to the intense way they breed. I was left with a lot of convicts due to this.

Most reactions

Back