Mini Dovii

dbanner

Fish Herder
Reaction score
This was sold to me as a mini dovii at maidenhead aquatics

22ee6602.jpg

f61e24cd.jpg

I wanted a normal (male due to better colours) dovii but from what iv heard and read about them starting off with a "mini" seems to be a good option. Got him home and done a little more reading on the mini's. They are still aggressive like the normal ones but only grow up to 12 inches for a male and smaller for female.

So he is in the 450 alone now and the snakeheads have had to move out to a smaller home :) he is under 5 inch at the mo and has lots of personality. Iv got black sand on the way some time in the week so il be taking most of my plants out and putting them in the 3 footer with the snakeheads for cover and il be scaping the 450 litre with rocks. Keep me busy :)

I'm sorry, but sometimes I think people are better off not replying to your questions when you go on ahead and do what you want to do anyway.

Maybe... Maybe not. I think it's good to keep people updated on new tanks and fish on a FISH forum. Stops the forum going quiet and give people the enjoyment of seeing new pics :) I love seeing new pics on here. Yes it's used a lot for people to get help with the problems they may be having with their tanks or worries with their fish/tanks and so on but it's also good to share experiences and pictures. I get so many ideas from general pics of people's tanks :)

Well as long as you have him in on his own then im sure he'll be fine, i had a read up and he will be just as aggressive as a normal sized dovii also he'll grow about 1 foot so that tank seems ok.

hes very pretty.

just to emphasise what you have here as i was looking online to find opinions of this fish and it was number 3 on the list of most aggressive SA/CA cichlids. this was a question asked by ashleyT the other day. this what i found online.

1.) Parachromis Dovii. Dovii Cichlid. The infamous wolf cichlid, these guys are huge beasts. They have very large teeth, large mouths, and a muscular body. Not so aggressive when small, but once they reach 6 or more inches they dominate almost all their tank mates. Don't ever under estimate these guys, they are capable of doing a lot of damage to YOU and other FISH.

2.) Caquetaia Umbriferus. Umbee Cichlid. Another big cichlid like the Dovii. They are easily the largest Central American cichlid you could own in the hobby. These guys are actually quite cute when young, but when they get older the tides turn. They get a large mouth, teeth, strength, and become ferocious. They are called the "Blue Freckled Monster" for a reason.

3.) Nandopsis Grammodes. The mini dovii cichlid. These guys are literally a dovii, just a small package. Which means, instead of growing 25+inches like the dovii, they will only get about 12 inches. Grammodes are very skilled fighters, they will go for the eyes and throats of all their enemy's. Grammodes are very fast fish, I had some flying out of the water to get piece food. Their speed is insane, and they use it when they battle with their enemy's. Grammodes are also one of the most territorial cichlids, female's of this species will sometimes guard their turf with their lives. The only down side of these species is their growth, they grow extremely slow. Which stops them from beating the larger cichlids.

4.) Buttikoferi Tilapia. Hornet Tilapia. These guys are nothing but evil. Do not let his mouth fool you, they crush & rip the lips off of all their enemies. The pressure in their bite is ridiculous. Giving me 9 stitches on my hand and eating the stomach's off other fish. These guys should never be trusted, they are born mean and will die mean. Remember these monsters get to 16 inches, at that size they can compete with most dovii's & umbee's.

5.) Nandopsis Beani. Green Guapote Cichlid. A very rare guapote. These guys freak out when kept with other fish. At a foot long they can take a 200 gallon to themselves. These guys are hyper aggressive, which means they will chase and kill without taking a break. Beani's are best kept with cichlids that can defend themselves because they are not very good at fighting back. The bad part about these species is they are susceptible to bloat. Due to this, they usually get severely sick if they fight or have poor water conditions. There is no other cichlid at 12 inches like the beani that will try to kill cichlids that are MUCH larger than themselves. No cichlid has more courage then the beani.

6.) Amphilophus Labiatus. Red Devil Cichlid. These guys are nothing but killers. They are very common and are known to kill all the cichlids Above. Red Devil's are great cichlids though, full of personality. Remember these guys need close attention when mixed with other fish because they will kill if the other fish can't defend itself. Red Devils are one tough Demons.

7.) Parachromis Managuense. The jaguar cichlid. They are cousins to the dovii. Jaguar cichlids are very powerful and will fight to the death at times. I've had some of these species fight until every single piece of scale rips off their body's. Jaguars are rarely aggressive when kept in appropriate sized tanks, they are just very territorial because of this they will take large tanks to themselves. Jaguars are very cool, but some are seriously psychotic.

8.) Nandopsis Haitiensis. Black Nasty Cichlid. These guys are nothing but black hell. This species are beasts. Capable of reaching 16 inches they can easily give the dovii or umbee a run for their money. The males of this species need lots of attention if mixed with other fish. Haitiensis are very prone to bloat, so they need extra care just like the beani. That is why they are lower on this list.

9.) Parachromis Motaguensis. This species is very underrated as far aggression goes. These guys are notorious for disemboweling tank mates. They are very alike to the managuense but they are smaller and are a bit calmer. Still a very powerful cichlid though.

10.) Nandopsis istlantus. This species are Hyper aggressive and nasty despite its small size. They have Sheer temper problems. They are known to kill a whole community of fish in a couple hours, now that's impressive.

There are other cichlids that are mean too, but couldn't make it to the top ten.
Here are the others, in order.
11. Herichthys Bartoni
12. Nandopsis Urophthalmus
13. Amphilophus Trimaculatus
14. Amphilophus Festae
15. Nandopsis Tetracanthus
16. Nandopsis Salvini
17. Amphilophus Citrinellus
18. Amphilophus Saggitae
19. Melanochromis sp.
20. Amphilophus Zaliosus
21.Herichthys Cynoguttatus

Nice m8, let's hope mine stops growing at 12 inch as it should then. As I said it was marked as a mini dovii in the shop. If it starts to get past the 13-14 inch mark then clearly it a parachromis dovii. Il get another tank at that stage and maybe move my snakeheads back into the 5 footer when they have grown :)

i would invest in a tank divider, if you need to put your hand in when its older you will need protection by the sounds of it lol

Yeah g point. Il look into them now. Could you advise a good water dechlorinater? All the ones iv used seem to go down pretty quickly doing 30-40% weekly water changes

Yeah g point. Il look into them now. Could you advise a good water dechlorinater? All the ones iv used seem to go down pretty quickly doing 30-40% weekly water changes

seachem prime

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/seachem-prime-f-sw-500ml.html

this is usually £20 in the shops but £10.73 on the site above. its £4.50 delivery but i always buy a few bottles and other stuff to make it worth the charge . you only use 5mls per 200 litres of water and it detoxifys ammonia and nitrites

Thanks zod. May be a silly question but where would be the best/cheapest place to buy? Iv noticed they do a few different size bottles, I'd probably go for the 500ml

I've only ever seen it once in a LFS - always get mine from eBay.

A 500ml bottle lasted me over two years on my 125L tank.

Thanks zod. May be a silly question but where would be the best/cheapest place to buy? Iv noticed they do a few different size bottles, I'd probably go for the 500ml

check out my post above lol ^^^

Ah nice. Will be ordering some of this. The stuff I have now is nutrafin aqua plus. You get 375ml but 10ml only treats 40 litres of water. Useless for my tank

Most reactions

Back