Messing With Polaroid Filter...

I am sooooooooooo gonna get a DSLR lol. Those pics look awesome buddy. Your tank is great too.

Is it the Sony DSLR A100 you have?

I'm still using an older pentax istD L2...all this camera talk recently has put me in a real notion for an upgrade soon but,lol...

Hopefully the above settings I posted will help out a bit.
The night shots will be very difficult to get right because of the low light, you can turn up the ISO a bit for them - but the more you turn it up the more "noise" you will get on your pics - and this will get ugly especially if you start adjusting brightness/colours in photoshop.
I would try and avoid the flash as much as possible as it usually just leads to ugly shadows, over exposure and de-saturation of colours. If you want though, try and be creative with the flash, eg: slightly cover it with your hand/finger, or cover it with tights (ah tights, what would us fishkeepers do without them!) - basically try and diffuse the harsh flash light.

Again, the best way to get your night shots is with a tripod and a long shutter speed, but with such a dynamic subject like corals this might be very difficult to achieve.

Thanx again Dave...great tips for all us budding david baileys there,lol... I often place a white tissue or cloth over the flash for that very reason and find it really helps to diffuse the harshness of the flash....going to start messing around with settings a lot more I think , as if honest, i've been lazy recently and fell in love with our old mate "auto setting" ... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tina, simply hang a tissue or white cloth over your flash when taking shots...it doesn't need to be fancy as it is only a temporary measure for certain shots and can work a real treat

Auto-Setting - ARGH!!
I hate full auto on my DSLR - it is in love with the flash! lol#

If you want to use any of the auto-settings on your camera, try the sports one. It is generally the best for tank shots IMO. (well on my camera anyway, as it rarely tries to use the flash when my main tank lights are on)

Thats what I love about the Fuji Bridge camera, if you don't put the flash up, it won't get used.

You can bypass the flass on any setting just by leaving the flash closed.

Bud, I was just going to make it because of the trouble I have my arms and fingers. I may try the cloth or tissue but have not really had chance to do any photos today.

Thats what I love about the Fuji Bridge camera, if you don't put the flash up, it won't get used.

You can bypass the flass on any setting just by leaving the flash closed.

Bud, I was just going to make it because of the trouble I have my arms and fingers. I may try the cloth or tissue but have not really had chance to do any photos today.

My Canon will put the flash up automatically if it thinks it needs it in any of the auto modes. PITA!

Most reactions

Back