Message for 'Wilsta'

lfs in sydney i saw a Salmontail Catfish approx 10" in size for $30AUD

so its no doubt about it they do get big.. i also saw 4" ones for $10AUD or so....

Well, the only way to find out is get em'. I am getting them anyway so in my case I don't really care :D . Probably Today, Tommorow or next week. I will let you know on how thing go on. :thumbs:

Woot! I just got $50 to spend for a prezzie. Ok, I just realised something. Are these fish Coldwater? Because in the store tanks they had no heater. :blink: I'll double check because I maybe going today.

temperature between 20 - 30 degrees but its summer (in aus) so you probably wont need one til feb/march

Edited Entire Post - Look's like I am getting them Wilsta. I am thinking of instead getting 2 Salmontails and 2 Flounders. Wilsta - Have you ever seen Freshwater Flounders available were you are?

Edit Again: One great thing I found out with the Salmontail cats is they are EXTREMELY hardy and can take ph 6-9, almost any hardness that comes out of your tap and can the nitrates can be flying up and they'll live. (Although they can't live in strong ammonia or nitrites) The flimsyness of their water parameters is what also attracts me to them. Another thing I frgot to tell you before, I found a few site after an extremely long time searching,

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/berneyscat.html
http://www.sea-ex.com/fishphotos/catfishlesser.htm
http://www.adelaideaquariums.com.au/Faqs/f...ish/salmon.html - The Pop up Window is nasty on this one and I have no idea why
http://www.australianrainbowfish.com/austr...2.htm~mainFrame

HTH! :D I'll be getting mine on Wednesday!!!! :D

Hey eelzor,

woohoo!!

no i havent seen freshwater flounders i only know of the salt water variety. flounders are very unusual fish?!?! sure you want them.

Those links are pretty good. makes me want to get em too! but the rapid growth rate worries me.

I've actually saw some
fresh water flounders the other day
How big do they get?

They vary in size Nix, but the common frshwater flounder does not exceed 8 inches. - I would like to keep this a Salmontail Cat post, so try not to go too much into flounders. :D I'll keep you posted Wilsta. :thumbs:

Ok! Today I got the 3 Salmontail Sharks! They are alone in my tank and will quickly need to upgrade soon. But from my trip, I loaded the manager with question and I got some rather disturbing answers. Yet intriguing!

------------------

Eelzor - How big can they grow?
Manager - Up to 1.8 meters. (I was shocked) They swim in the Brisbane river and look just like sharks.

Eelzor - How fast can I expect them to grow on a varied dit of flakes, algae wafers, bloodworms and the like?
Manager - They are extremely fast growing on whatever diet you give them and within 6 months can get 12 inches.

Eelzor - What tankmates can you recommend?
Manager - Because of this fish's monsterous size, I would only recommend oscars to go with them as they are the only fish capable of catching up with the growth speed of the Salmontail Catfish Shark. But even then, the oscar should be removed because the catfish will still out grow them. Although the oscar can still stay with them for a long period of time.

Eelzor - I there anything I should be careful of or weary about?
Manager - Yes, the Salmontails have a shark "Pin-Like" top fin that is used as a defense mechanism that can hurt if it does happen to poke you, however it is rarely used a lot and shouldn't be much of a worry. And also, when netting them up it can get caught in the net so you should be careful there.

Eelzor - What about concerning temparment?
Manager - When young they are very peaceful and don't harm other fish much, but when they are adult size, perhaps 12 inches or more, it depends on the diet, just feeding them simple food like flakes and wafers will keep them less aggressive, but feeding them feeder fish in a shark-only tank can make them very aggressive and eventually anyfish of any size added will be considered food therefore no fish can live in such a tank.

Eelzor - Not even me?
Manager - [Laughs] Well, the risk is always there!

------------------

Well I hope you got a lot of info out of that talk I did today with the manager, and I still recommend you to get them Wilsta! They would make an excellent addition to your tank, at least for the first couple of years! I also wanted to warn you that it takes years for the shark to reach the 1.8 meter mark, and even I will not be able to keep them for that long so I asked if I could trade it in if it does become too big, and it was fine. Good luck Wilsta! I await your traumatized reply! :D

:crazy: I realy dont know what to say eelzor... If i had a large enough tank then maybe i just dont think the 4' x 2' x 2' would be big enough (in the long run)... even though this will be the largest sized tank i will be getting. I had a serious think about setting up an oscar tank or going with something different. I am considering replacing my oscar? not that i want too but because the size of my appartment its small. I am just a little confused atm on what i want to do... and more importnatly how much i am willing to spend.

but i am happy that you finally got the salmontail's make sure your next upgrade tank is abouta 5ft tank cause thats as small as i would recommend just for the time been.

:dunno:

Yes, well, they are nice little fish. I fed them Bloodworms and Brine and they scoop em' up quite willingly. I recently bought sinking pellets and I will see how they like them. But you should still get them Wilsta as it take ages for them to get anywhere more, no even near then 12 inches. :nod: And I had always wanted to own a fish that eats feeder stuff, because I always wanted to start a feeder fish tank, like smb's. So I might be getting some on Monday. But if you have anymore questions Wilsta, I'm always here. :D

Most reactions

Back