Mayday!

saraya

Reaction score
Please can anyone help? I have an established tank with a plec, 2 praecox, 2 dwarf pangasus catfish, 4 serpae, some cardinals and a molly. My molly has one popping out eye. My book suggests injury as only one eye is affected and the other fish are fine. I'm new to internet, but the few sites I've braved have suggested Melafix. Do you agree, and is it safe for all my other fish? I do not have a spare hospital tank and am terrified of harming the other fish, especially my plec, as he is my mate! Many thanks. Saraya. x

Need to no water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, what size tank, do you mean one eye is bulging out.

Thanks for answering. Can't test water now as kit empty, but all was well 2 weeks ago. I usually test monthly. The only thing i sometimes have trouble with is a trace of nitrite. Was ok this time though. The eye looks exactly like the pictures of pop eye. But only one eye. Never had problems before, except a case of whitespot eons ago (not the molly).

Forgot (sorry). Tank holds 100 litres. Before you have kittens, it's a small plec!

You can get popeye just in one eye so i would treat with anti internal bacteria med, good luck.

Take it to ur nearest fish store have them test the water for u. As I use melafix too for this kind of problem. I

I breed mollies have never had this problem but if it was going to hurt your other fish it would have already done the damage but treat your tank with just a basic medicine just to be safe. Sorry I lie i did have one fish that had a pop eye but I went to the tank the next day and it's eye was totally gone but now it just swims round with the other fish I am having trouble with a fungal disease at the moment but that fish is one of the lucky ones it hasn't contracted the disease yet. 'good luck'

if it was going to hurt your other fish it would have already done the damage

I question the accuracy of this statement because some diseases have an intibation period before you see symptoms (time for the bacteria etc. to reproduce and multiply). I'm not comenting on whether or not to treat the whole tank, becuase I am not familiar with this disease, but at a minimum, keep a close eye on the rest of the fish for the next week or so.

Thanks for the replies. I have applied 2 melafix treatments so far. The other fish seem ok at the moment, and the affected molly's eye looks a bit less swollen, though not healed perfectly yet. This was a very drastic situation for me. I'm a nurse, but have always felt a bit squemish where eyes are concerned. This was one situation where i couldn't get a colleague to swap with me! Many thanks. x

Most reactions

Back