Marineland Rite-Size Z Filter Cartridges: Need Dimensions!!!

At least that is my best guess, if there were engineering drawing available I could tell you for certain. The assembly/use instructions & illustrations are not very good.

Depending on the construction of the filter box, you may be able to stuff a bunch of media in it, or if it were me use it for riparian root area (pothos/bamboo et. al.) to keep nitrates down.

Under the cartridge, in the carrier

View attachment 161571
I just MIGHT have the foam in there then. Just don't remember doing it. It's probably FILTHY if so. If I DO have that foam in there, is there any reason NOT to use the cartridges that have the carbon etc? Or should I still stuff that area with the plastic scrubbers or...? What's the best option? I SO appreciate you guys helping me!

Last edited:
Depending on the construction of the filter box, you may be able to stuff a bunch of media in it, or if it were me use it for riparian root area (pothos/bamboo et. al.) to keep nitrates down.
By having the box behind the main tank the worst reviews on Amazon are with live plants... it's hard to clean out debris and dead plant material. I don't want to try... although I'd love to have the help with the nitrites. :(

By having the box behind the main tank the worst reviews on Amazon are with live plants... it's hard to clean out debris and dead plant material. I don't want to try... although I'd love to have the help with the nitrites. :(
There shouldn't be any debris or plant material. You just have the roots in the water.

If I DO have that foam in there, is there any reason NOT to use the cartridges that have the carbon etc? Or should I still stuff that area with the plastic scrubbers or...?
You don't need carbon, unless you are trying to remove medications. Cartridges are like ink cartridges for printers, they make money for the vendor, and in this case there are cheaper alternatives.
The scrubbers serve the same function as the foam, so either or. Foam or scrubbers will catch large particles, and ceramic bio-rings have a large surface area to house bacteria. I would try this:

Was:

Top of Tank

|______________________________|
|**********Cartridge**********|
|********Bio- Foam (?)********|

Is:

Top of tank
| ***Ceramic Bio-rings *******|
| ****Poly-fiber batting ******|
| **Bio-Foam or Scrubbers **|

The reason that the Bio-rings are at the top is that you want minimal particulates to clog the pores of the bio-rings

Last edited:
There shouldn't be any debris or plant material. You just have the roots in the water.

You don't need carbon, unless you are trying to remove medications. Cartridges are like ink cartridges for printers, they make money for the vendor, and in this case there are cheaper alternatives.
The scrubbers serve the same function as the foam, so either or. Foam or scrubbers will catch large particles, and ceramic bio-rings have a large surface area to house bacteria. I would try this:

Was:

Top of Tank

|**********Cartridge**********|
|********Bio- Foam (?)********|

Is:

Top of tank
| ***Ceramic Bio-rings *******|
| ****Poly-fiber batting ******|
| **Bio-Foam or Scrubbers **|

The reason that the Bio-rings are at the top is that you want minimal particulates to clog the pores of the bio-rings
I WILL be using medicine in the tank as soon as I have 6 days in a row at my apartment, (SO many doctors and tests before surgery on the 7th about 30 miles away. Staying with my parents during most of this time. Not ideal but was counseled that just for now he can go a while between feedings. I hate it but it was a lot of trips and stays in a 1 gallon (1 star) hotel here which was stressing him) It probably won't be until I gp to my apartment on the 9th after surgery that I can use the medicine. Then I'm switching him to a new tank with all silk plants and Mom's get this one. (I'm going to get all silk for it too, but I put out $150 to outfit the new tank and am on disability so I need to wait a while before more plants.)

With the bio rings do they need to be in a bag? I've seen some people do that?

With the bio rings do they need to be in a bag? I've seen some people do that?
They don't need to be, but in your case I would highly recommend it. It makes fishing them out for poly change and filter cleaning much easier. I scoop mine out by hand but have a 4x10" area that I can reach into. With a bag you just reach in and pull them all out at once.

They don't need to be, but in your case I would highly recommend it. It makes fishing them out for poly change and filter cleaning much easier. I scoop mine out by hand but have a 4x10" area that I can reach into. With a bag you just reach in and pull them all out at once.
Thanks. Now I worked with bioballs etc (which I liken to the rings) like 12 years ago where half my job was animal care including a lot of aquariums, most saltwater. I don't remember all of it though. I did a lot of animal care after this but none with such good filtration as this place, nor any saltwater. Do you ever rinse these?

Also, should I keep the carbon in there while dosing my fish with kanaplex? For a while after? I cannot thank you enough for this help!

Thanks. Now I worked with bioballs etc (which I liken to the rings) like 12 years ago where half my job was animal care including a lot of aquariums, most saltwater. I don't remember all of it though. I did a lot of animal care after this but none with such good filtration as this place, nor any saltwater. Do you ever rinse these?

Also, should I keep the carbon in there while dosing my fish with kanaplex? For a while after? I cannot thank you enough for this help!
I never rinse mine, unless I see some mulm on them. I just take them out, rinse the sponge, pitch the poly, put in new poly and drop the rings on top.

I believe that you need to remove the carbon while dosing, When treatment is complete you can use it to help remove any meds after the WC.

That's right! I remember you leave the filter off... this is my first time using medicine on a fish. Thank you soooo much!

I never rinse mine, unless I see some mulm on them. I just take them out, rinse the sponge, pitch the poly, put in new poly and drop the rings on top.

I believe that you need to remove the carbon while dosing, When treatment is complete you can use it to help remove any meds after the WC.
Would there be enough rings in this? I know the sponge is too small.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LL8LPM/?tag=ff0d01-20

I would think that it will house more bacteria than the cartridge. You can always add more later. Your LFS/LPS may have bags and rings too, but $2 is pretty cheap. Do not replace as the website or instructions may advise. Not only does it make them more money, but it can cause an ammonia spike, especially in small tanks. If you are really cheap, you can buy the rings and use produce veggie bags (e.g onions), or dollar store nylon hose.

I would think that it will house more bacteria than the cartridge. You can always add more later. Your LFS/LPS may have bags and rings too, but $2 is pretty cheap. Do not replace as the website or instructions may advise. Not only does it make them more money, but it can cause an ammonia spike, especially in small tanks. If you are really cheap, you can buy the rings and use produce veggie bags (e.g onions), or dollar store nylon hose.
cheap as in good or bad? I found some $6-7 ones too... I just thought if it was enough... why pay it? And I definitely wouldn't replace!

Most reactions

Back